Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Low Bobbin : Suggestions

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
1quiltinnana

Low Bobbin : Suggestions

Post by 1quiltinnana » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:23 am

Can anyone on the forum offer a suggestion for when my machine bobbin gets low on thread and I am in the middle of quilting on my machine, how can I know that my bobbin is about to run empty? Any tips would be appreciated. Thank You...1quiltinnana

auntjana

Re: Low Bobbin : Suggestions

Post by auntjana » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 am

I am lucky enough to have a sensor on my machine to let me know - but sometimes it acts up - so when I am quilting I watch as to how many passes that I make before the bobbin runs out - on my LA - I can usually make 3 passes and then I know I am low and I check before going on - saves me time and headaches. That is on the width of a twin size quilt - any smaller I know that I can do more - also the sound the machine makes changes too - so I key in on those two things - not much help to you - but it does help me somewhat
I always start with a full bobbin too

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks for your suggestions....I will try those.

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm learning to calculate: busy quilt stitching + length of stitch, plus thickness of the sndwich, length of run across the quilt.. It's slow and inaccurate but I keep a log and am getting better. There is an upgrade for a sensor to my machine, but the cost is prohibitive and if I can guestimate......

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”