Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

quilting on a machine

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
jjgallamore

quilting on a machine

Post by jjgallamore » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:18 pm

I am a new quilter. I had a woman teach me how to quilt but she only quilts by hand. I want to learn machine quilting. I can do stitch-in-ditch but would like to learn how to do more designs. I have several excellent book resources that teach everything up to the actual quilting. They show several designs but don't explain how to master them. Are there any books or DVDs that can teach me how to do this and that will also help me learn how to figure out what quilting designs will work best on a chosen quilt?

Rockinrobin

Re: quilting on a machine

Post by Rockinrobin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:12 am

Hello jjgallamore,

I used to be have a longarm quilting business before I got the job at Quilt in a Day.

As you said, there are lots of resources, but the best way to go about figuring out what quilting designs would work best is to audition things. Just like you do for fabric. Golden Threads paper is a great source. You can trace a design (or draw your own) and lay it over a block to see what you like.

This is such a huge topic, and there are so many opinions out there. You should just dive in and try it. Small projects are the best way to start.

Hope that helps a little!

Robin Kinley
Marketing Director
Quilt in a Day

jjgallamore

Post by jjgallamore » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks, Robin. I'll give that a try.

northbound

Post by northbound » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 am

El has a two-part video on machine quilting in the theater. It's in the "From Scraps to Quilts" section:

http://quiltinaday.com/theater/scraps/s ... aps08.html

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Practice, playing, practice, playing and alot more practice and figuring out what works for your machine and the different threads.

Never, never, never give up because there will always be tension issues but it is the way you handle them that you will find your greatest reward.

Happy Stitching -

Come over to the Sew-in thread anytime. Lot of great ladies with lots of advice and lots of shoulders when you need one.

See you there
Teresa

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 am

Start small - then practice practice and practice some more - when you think that you have done enough practice - go and do some more - you will get a lot of potholders and trivets during these practice sessions.

Remember to that no one else's quilting will be next to what you have done - so it will be great!@

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:35 am

Thanks...I wiil enjoy learning from the Videos.

susanngarry

Post by susanngarry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:34 am

Glad you asked this question, as I'm also new to the quilting world. This is the last step I need to learn. Sounds like some great advice. Did you look at the video on QIAD? That was helpful for me. I've still not attempted it. Like the potholder idea. Have you learned any other suggestions not posted here? Have you started yet? What type of quilts are you working on? Blessings, Susan

susanngarry

Post by susanngarry » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:18 am

Saw another idea yesterday. One of the final episodes of QIAD's egg money quilts aired and it showed some great ideas for finishing the quilt. I believe it is also on the theater on this website. Please let us know how it goes. Blessings. Susan

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 pm

I would suggest making several totes or bags..then you can practice free motion or designs on them. That is what I did. The sections of the purse are easily manuvered under a domestic machine and it is great practice! Also, pot holders like others suggested. I personally hate to "waste" fabric on practice, and this way you get something out of your practice! They sell a machine quilting primer here at QIAD..that gives you the basics, too. And RELAX...that's the hardest part for me! lol!
Joanne

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”