Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Have you read a good book lately?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
lucieshouses

Re: Have you read a good book lately?

Post by lucieshouses » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:46 am

Good morning!

DH and I stopped at the Murrieta Friends of the Library Book Store (used books)yesterday. I picked up a few new authors (new to me)books:
"Night Sins" by Tami Hoag-I just saw your review Irish!
"Naked Prey" by John Sandford

I just finished "The Witness" by Sandra Brown, very good.
Lisa Scottoline's "Devil's Corner was okay.

I guess I'm stuck on Sandra Brown's writing style and I'm trying to read all of her books. I have a few more of her books waiting for me.

All of these books are paperbacks for .25 or 1.00 for hardcover. Once I'm done with them I take them to the Senior Center.

Lucie

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:37 am

I just finished reading 2 by John Grisham..."Time to Kill" which is excellent and I don't know how I had missed it and the new one, "Sycamore Row" which is supposed to be kind of based on Time to Kill but I really didn't see the connection....It is also a very, very good read.....

carole

Post by carole » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 am

As a matter of fact I did!! My DH just finished writing his first book and I was the proof reader. I did not expect it to be all that wonderful, but by golly it really was. It is about a terrorist group and as I was proof reading it I would forget to do that because I would get so into the story. So spent extra time going back to proof read it. Who know if he will ever get it published, but it is a wonderful thing to leave for the kids and grandkids. He should be so proud.

Carole

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:53 am

Purchased donated used books from a bookmarket $1.00 each proceeds for Children's Hospital. Bought 5 books from same author and mag@.25 each was a last min. excursion decision. I have lots of Emilie Richards books but these nov
els better.

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu May 08, 2014 6:40 am

Here's another book to add to the "good" read list...Just finished, "Ready to Die" by Liza Jackson...Good thriller but I had the bad guy pegged, lol.....

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:06 am

CAROLE - congratulations on your DH's book! What an achievement! I've always thought the best job in the world would be to write a book! I'm so proud! I do hope he tried to publish it. If he doesn't get positive results after trying several pubishers, there is always vanity press - and then maybe a publisher will see it and pick it up. I'm so impressed!!

I do most of my "reading" while I sew. I am really into audio books and right now am listening to James Patterson - the 9th in his Women's Murder Club series.

I also enjoy J.A.Jance, Mary Higgins Clark, Mary Jane Clark, Janet Evanovich, Monica Ferris, Joanne Fluke, Diane Mott Davidson, Sue Grafton, Stuart Woods, Miranda James, and Arlene Sachitano (who writes a very good quilting-themed mystery series set in my neck of the woods.)

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:33 am

I copied your list of authors, Mary, I will check out their themes and see if any will be of interest.

Right now I am all wrapped up in Jennifer Chiaverini and all the Elm Creek stories. Ever since I got this Kindle for Christmas, I have been reading so much more than I ever did.

It's weird that I have gotten so interested in her books and stories with the quilting theme.

You mentioned Arlene Sachitano who writes mystery with quilt theme. That would be interesting as well.

Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:13 am

I just finished listening to "King and Maxwell" by David Baldacci. What a great book! there was a TV series of these characters last year, but it got cancelled. We were bummed as we liked the show. the main characters are former Secret Service agents who were dismissed so they become Private Eyes. It's a good story and Baldacci is an excellent writer who writes all kinds of books, not just thrillers with a bit of humor. He wrote Wish You Well, a family saga beginning in the early part of the last century.

CheerfulHeart

Post by CheerfulHeart » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but the best book I've read in a long time is "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". It has the same style as one of my all-time favorites, "84 Charring Cross Road." I love the letters or conversational style, maybe because I have always loved to write letters to friends and family. :-)

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Reading THE DRESSMAKER OF KHAIR KHANA, story of an American journalist, living with women under Islamic laws, no freedom allowed, control issues, and at war..

Their husbands are taken away to fight, and may never see them again. The women are left in poverty and how they master to learn sewing and fill orders for the local shops, all while in secretcy. Being caught out of the house is dangerous.

Love the book, hope to finish this wknd.

Return to “Chit Chat”