Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

paper piecing

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
scrapquilter48

Re: paper piecing

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:00 am

Do you have print shop or a UPS ctr nearby? There are different types of choices. If I understand you want to print your design on paper to be used for paperpiecing, as opposed to printing a picture..

I trace by hand any pattern tissue, paper type styles. They sell rolls for few $$ and it will last ages...

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:04 am

I took my pattern to a printer and had a lot of them copied off, so I guess I just used copy paper and it worked fine.

zzaped

Post by zzaped » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Do you paper piece for crazy quilt blocks? What about a template shape for the center piece?

AuntieV

Post by AuntieV » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:58 am

The beauty of paper piecing is that it is stitch and flip straight straight stitching. Except for the first piece, I find that most of the balance of blocks are just strips. So far my no paper method has worked for me. I copy the block pattern twice. The first copy (master) I use to match up the block as I build it.
The second copy gets traced over so I can see the pattern in reverse. I then use another piece of paper to trace the #1 piece or use a ruler to cut out the triangle, diamond, etc. and measure the first strip to be added adding seam allow to each. When they are stitched I flip, press and match back to the master copy. I Put the master copy under a clear plexiglass sheet to make sure I have the exact size and use a straight edge to cut (square up) as I go. Then it is on to the next add on piece.

I just could not see using a half package of paper and the ink to print out a bunch of copies just to tear it up. My only rule is to press with the right side up so my seams always stay with the next to last piece stitched.

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:28 am

I like to purchase carol doaks paper (on line is cheaper than in stores )
she is the master of paper piecing in my knowledge of paper piecing and it is additive after you get the hang of it

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”