Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

First Long-Arm quilter

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Quiltmom

First Long-Arm quilter

Post by Quiltmom » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:44 pm

I am looking to purchase my first long-arm quilting machine and I could use some advice. I am planning on going to Paducah in April and hope to see many demo's of the machines. I would like some of your suggestions before I go. Thanks

quilterbee

Re: First Long-Arm quilter

Post by quilterbee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:30 am

I just bought the Hinterberg Stretch, Voyager 17 and SLR last week and I am in love! But I've been shopping and testing and researching for 5 years so I knew what I wanted. Amie :o)

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:40 am

I thought I knew exactly what I wanted and went to a big show to try them all out just to make sure. I was so surprised at how different all the machines are! I ended up with a Nolting Fun Quilter instead of what I'd originally intended to buy. It's easy on my bad back, easy to thread, simple maintainance, and if you buy their frame, they will custom make it for you if the sizes they offer don't fit your space.

Not trying to sway you toward Nolting - but just pointing out that making sure you test-drive everything you can will point you in the right direction for you. But how exciting! Please tell us how the search goes and what your final decision is.

BTW, it costs extra, but I bit the bullet and had them add castors and hydraulics to my frame. What a difference it makes to be able to raise and lower the frame (I'm not quite 5 feet tall). Pinning is comfy at one height but quilting at another. And with the castors I can move it around. I'm so glad I went for those options.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:41 am

Quiltmom - test drive, test drive, and test drive again. Make notes about the pros and cons of each and then sit down with your notes and study. Don't get in a hurry. I think that as you are test driving you will get a gut instinct telling you that one is the machine for you. But there is a lot to consider. If you are on a budget decide what you want to spend and test drive accordingly. My BFF and I decided on a HQ-16 with the studio frame. We love it. You can pre-shop in line just to see what is out there and what features each machine has. Have fun - it's exciting.

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions. They are all very helpful. I had definately planned to take my time with my decision. It is my retirement gift to myself which is about 11 months away. So I have time to make up my mind. Thanks again for all your help. Hope to see lots of quilters in Paducah.

petlover

Post by petlover » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:44 pm

we test drove quite a few when we were in Paducah a few years ago. we didn't get around to all of them simply because of it being so crowded. We ended up buying a Gammill. It's a fine machine & we like it alot. But... we test drove an A1 at a show a year or so after we got the Gammill. Loved it! It drove wonderfully. They were comparable in price & if we had it to do over again, we'd get the A1.
A lot depends on how much you want to pay for the machine. And with the economy the way it is now, you might want to look at getting a used one. The company - Gammill, A1, etc. - will take your calls & help you out any way they can if you run into problems with the used machine. Good luck.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:43 am

Cathy32078 and her DH have an A-1 and they love it. I test drove the long arm machines at the quilt show and my pick would have been the A-1 also. It was SO smooth - just wonderful.

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 pm

love all these suggestions I will keep them in mind in the future...

mychappie1952

Post by mychappie1952 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:42 am

I also shopped and tested and went with a Voyager 17 and the Hinterberg Stretch quilting frame. I wanted quilting space but couldn't afford the $15,000.-$20,000. for the long arm so went with the mid size arm and love it!

Good luck.

Alicia
NC

mychappie1952

Post by mychappie1952 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 am

One more thing to remember is there will be extras you'll want/need too. Like the, SLR, headers, extra needles and bobbins, bobbin winder, learning videos, maybe a couple books and patterns, etc. I bought it all together so I wouldn't need anything until much later. LOL

Alicia
NC

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”