Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday May 25,2009

Daily discussions.
Marilynsgrammy

Re: Monday May 25,2009

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon May 25, 2009 2:32 pm

what an afternoon... I was working on a quilt back and Jerry wanted to go to Lowes...so I said drop me off at JoAnn's and pick me up when you're done.... I didn't get much... some safety pins, some elastic and three FQ's... didn't even spend $20 but had fun looking...

Ok Q7 and Quiltnewby... first I will spray and then iron... if that doesn't work I will put a bit of extra sashing around them and sew it all together....

Susanna, do you thing a bug is eating the leaves from your squash plants or a bunny rabbit? if it is bugs Jerry thinks it could be ants or gr*****oppers... he said don't spray the leaves with malathian(sp) just the ground around the plants.... but if you don't want to use poision try mixing hot red peppers with some dish soap... spray that on your leaves....

Jerry is bbqing ribs... I love them... we will have cob corn and salad... I need to tie my hair up for this meal....loooovvvveee it.

ttfn
Chriss
Exodus 33:14

MAWmum

Post by MAWmum » Mon May 25, 2009 2:48 pm

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Mon May 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Good night!!!

I made good progress in the baby quilt. See you tomorrow...

Happy Quilting...Kathy

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Mon May 25, 2009 3:56 pm

:)

Chriss could you ask Jerry if he knows how I can find out if the leaves are being eaten by bugs (e.g. ants or grass-hoppers) or by bunnies?

Or would the hot pepper mixture work for Bunnies as well? I rather would not use that poison, even though I DO have it on hand. this year I have seen a few grass-hoppers. A few years ago an army of ants was attacking my Oleander, and a few years before that I spotted bunnies. The bunnies made me stop growing carrots and radishes, and those very BIG 'ugly' green tomatoes bugs made me stop growing tomatoes.

Jeff and I ended up watching the Military channel today. I've gained, and am still gaining, more and more respect for the USA and all they stand for. Not just for every-one who went to war, but also for the ones left behind. I am honored to live in your country as a 'guest'. I hope that by learning your history, your culture, your customs and language, that I can pay my respect to all of you, as best as I can.

*T*

xteacher

Post by xteacher » Mon May 25, 2009 4:49 pm

T, I agree that this time of year, it is more likely a varmint that's getting your squash, or maybe gr*****oppers if they are very plentiful. When it gets really hot here, near the end of the season, say late July, we get squash bugs and they will chew the stalks and it lets the fluids out and they die. We use Sevin Dust IF we catch them early enough. That should work for any insects. Be sure and wash the fruit well if you use Sevin. I think it is much less toxic than the Malathion, which we use for mosquitoes.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon May 25, 2009 5:52 pm

Tul, are the leaves completely gone... that would be a bunny or another 4 legged critter.... if they are nibbled or have holes it could be a 6 legged critter... or a worm of some kind... Karon uses Seven as a pesticide and it works well... and she's right it isn't as toxic as Malathian... we used to use diazinon but it is illeagle in California now...

if it's a bunny you can simply put a cage made of chicken wire around your plant.. bury the wire a little bit in the dirt to help keep it upright or put a stake in it to hold it up....

hope you enjoy the "fruits" of your labor...lol
hugs
Chriss

Exodus 33:14

Return to “Sew ins”