Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Meander/Stipple using domestic machine...HELP Please

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
rosebud3

Meander/Stipple using domestic machine...HELP Please

Post by rosebud3 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:29 pm

I am working on a quilt that I would like to quilt using free motion on my domestic machine, but I can't seem to get the machine set right or I just don't understand what I should be doing. In the manual, it says to set the machine for darning and drop the feed dogs, which I did. The top looks really good but the bottom looks like a bunch of little knots. What am I doing wrong? How do I adjust so the stitching is smooth on the back? I appreciate any information anyone could share. Thanks

Mary

luv_2quilt60

Re: Meander/Stipple using domestic machine...HELP Please

Post by luv_2quilt60 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:50 pm

well, that sounds like to me your tension is to tight..and or threaded wrong..re thread and maybe the thread is not right for your machine..Hope u get it worked out!//Hugs Bev

BarbieJean

Post by BarbieJean » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Make sure your presser foot is down.

Littlebit

Post by Littlebit » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:43 pm

sounds like you don't have your pressure foot down and it needs to be :o) hope this helps

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:44 am

How is your practicing coming along Mary?

Brenda

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi Brenda...it is getting better. One thing I found out, it is like patting your head with one hand and rubbing your tummy with the other at the same time. Lol, put the pedal to the metal with your foot, but slow as a snail with your hands. Also if you have to stop, be sure to stop both at the same time. I think I'm about ready to graduate to the quilt. Wish me luck.

Mary

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Have fun and just take your time with it.

Brenda

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:46 am

Hope you figured out the problem!!

Just yesterday, I played with my free motion quilting with the darning foot. The manual said to LOWER the tension (my machine has 1 to 5...5 being the most tension). But when I did that, the back of the quilting looked like a railroad track! SO, I went the other way..increasing the tension and it was much better!
I guess you just have to practice different tensions...using the same speed. I made a quilt sandwich to do the practice and marked the tension numbers next to each sample.

Good luck!
Joanne:0)

geriwood

Post by geriwood » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Try not to go too fast. Adjust the tension and make sure the needle matches the thread. good luck. Geri

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:48 am

I am not happy. It is working beautifully on practice pieces, but not on the quilt. Part of it looks really good and part of it is terrible. It looks like I need to get a bigger table area level with my machine and see if that will help.

Any suggestions for making one?

Mary

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”