Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What glove to wear while using a rotary cutter?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Loves2HandQuilt

Re: What glove to wear while using a rotary cutter?

Post by Loves2HandQuilt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:20 am

I've ordered a glove. By the time my finger is healed, I'll have it. Thanks for all of the help!

Jeanne

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:20 am

Any safety glove you buy will be cheaper than a trip to the ER. Shoot fire!, the Go! die cut machine is way cheaper than going to the ER. Rotary cutters have always scared me even though I have used one for years.

BarbieJean

Post by BarbieJean » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:39 am

Another way to protect your fingers when using your rotary cutter is a nadle on your ruler. They make the Gypsy Gripper and market it for rulers, but you can also purchase these handles for use on the walls in a shower for the elderly or handicapped and they are less expensive. This gripper also helps keep the ruler from sliding as you are holding it at a better angle. By holding the ruler with this handle your hands are up and away from the ruler.

judyquilts

Post by judyquilts » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Hope your finger has healed but I can't imagine the hurt you had. I am going to get a glove for myself and one for my daughter. Thank you for the info of putting in "Klutz Glove" as I have not been able to find one in the stores and when I did they were all small. My daughter just got back into quilting but cannot get even a little knick as she is on blood thinners. It scares me to think of her having an accident.

judyquilts

Post by judyquilts » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:08 pm

I recently looked at some of the gloves on the net. I saw Fons and Porters' and lots when I Googles "Klutz Glove". All kinds of prices and I am wondering if the ones that say "cut resistant" are really good and how does the Kevlar make them any better as they sure are a lot pricier.

lena9221

Post by lena9221 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:47 pm

I most definitely wear a glove after slicing off the side of my finger. I use a Kevlar glove that has the fingertips coated in rubber. Non slip and not much gets through Kevlar.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:23 am

I use a Klutz glove. Recently, I was in a class and using a glove to cut fabric. The instructor came over and said it was a good thing. The year before while teaching one of the students had cut her hand and the paramedics had to be called. NOT fun!

We all spend time alone at home cutting fabric, it would not be smart to cut yourself. A Klutz glove is a lot less expensive than a trip to the Emergency Room to get stitches in your hand or finger!

I keep my rotary cutter and Klutz glove together so I can find it.

Carol

Myezek

Post by Myezek » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:34 am

I know this is an old discussion but I use chefs’ gloves. You can find them on Amazon. I thought about a butcher’s steel mesh glove but that seemed to be over kill.
Marilyn

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”