Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Cleaning your iron

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
ctherrie

Re: Cleaning your iron

Post by ctherrie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:49 am

I am with ipquilter. I keep a spray bottle handy and add a little liquid starch. The starch keeps the thread frays down and makes it easier to sew a quarter inch seam allowance accurately. It also keeps pieces from stretching as long as you press and do not slide your iron across them.

churchmouse

Post by churchmouse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:44 am

I don't use steam for my quilts either.I found a dry iron(without the steam holes)in the Old Vermont Store catalog and I love it.It was about 30 bucks but worth it.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:13 pm

Once you have it clean - don't store it with water in it - Some of the spots could be due to rust in the tank

Jana

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:16 am

I don't put water inside the iron any more. I keep a spray bottle at hand so I can mist everything when I need to...but I have found the iron lasts a lot longer if I only use it dry.

Someone posted a while back that you can use a Mr. Clean Magic Stain Eraser (the plain ones without cleaner in them) to clean the soleplate of an iron. Make sure the iron is cold, otherwise that plastic sponge is going to melt!

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:31 am

I have a Rowenta Steam Iron/Auto shut off iron.....I use Distilled Water in it always and I've never had any problems with my iron. I like the steam for my pressing and keeping the seams smooth/flat. I keep hearing the Black & Decker irons are good to use. I used to have a nice Sunbeam iron which was GREAT! It did get real HOT also.

judyquilts

Post by judyquilts » Tue May 05, 2009 7:08 pm

I read in Fons and Porter's Tips that to clean the "gunky stuff" from the sole plate, run it over a dryer sheet. I would think it should be with no steam & have not tried it. I use regular water and when my iron spits, it goes. Not going into expensive irons anymore. Recently had to toss a block as the iron spit and the stain was on it. Are there any removers for stains from irons, by any chance? :)

ipquilter

Post by ipquilter » Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 am

I use a magic eraser to clean my iron. I get the iron good and hot, keep the sponge wet, and scrub the iron over it till it's clean. Works great.

GrandmaTaz

Post by GrandmaTaz » Wed May 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Judy, the dryer sheet works great on cleaning the sole plate. Just be sure to put and old cloth under the dryer sheet as the gunky stuff will go through to your ironing board cover.........Now guess how I know that?????????/ LOL (especially if it's the fusible stuff)

Jeanne

grannyQuilts1

Post by grannyQuilts1 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:36 pm

i have a rowenta iron and it says do NOT use distilled water or it will make the iron spit. i guess i am one of the lucky ones because i am 63 and have been ironing since i was 8 or 9 yrs old, the only problem i have ever had with an iron is them not getting hot enough. i have found the cheaper the iron the less watts/heat it has. since i iron all my sheets and i guess everything except my undies i want an iron that gets hot so i don't have to keep going over and over the same spot. most think i am a nut but i buy only 100% cotton sheets then i starch and iron, to me there isn't anything better then sliding into a fresh bed.
Barb

tlsmick

Post by tlsmick » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:30 pm

I have a brand new iron that I put distilled water in. Much to my dismay, it "spit" brown water all over my mostly complete quilt. When I dumped the water, it was all brown. Why did this happen? Anyone know?

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”