Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

flannel back cotton top

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Marilynsgrammy

flannel back cotton top

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:44 pm

if you use flannel for the backing and cotton for the top what would you use for the binding??? I made a baby quilt... want to go get some flannel for the back but need to know which way to go with the binding...

Chriss
Psalm 91

quilterbee

Re: flannel back cotton top

Post by quilterbee » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:06 pm

I just cut the binding 2.5" instead of 2.25", regular quilters cotton. Amie :o)

ctherrie

Post by ctherrie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:06 pm

I would use the flannel since it is softer and the quilt is for a baby. Either would work fine, I usually choose the binding by color or pattern on the fabric. I think you usually have more choices if you go with plain cotton than you do with flannel anyway that is how it is in the fabric shops I visit.

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:25 pm

I agree with quilterbee..I'd use a little wider binding, too. I've always used just cotton fabric to bind my quilts--flannel gives alot, so I don't know if I'd like to use that. All my flannel quilts are "rag" quilts, so I've never bound them--but the ones that are flannel-backed I use cotton binding.

Joanne:0)

sadiedaisy1

Post by sadiedaisy1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:15 am

Good question, Chriss. I had never thought about the binding for a flannel backed quilt...but then I've never backed a quilt with flannel. Thanks for your answers Amie, ctherrie, & Joanne.

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:30 am

I'd say that you could you do either, whichever you think will look/feel nicer.

I've never tried to use a flannel binding, and my only concern would be the risk that the finished binding might feel a bit "stiff" because of the many layers of flannel...?

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:13 am

well the cottons have it.. I will use cotton binding.

Ihave made a quilt that was flannel on the back and front and used flannel binding for that... it came out fine.......

thansk for the help
Chriss
Psalm 91

ilovetosew

Post by ilovetosew » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:09 pm

I just made a quilt that was flannel on top and I used cotton for the back and the binding. I wanted to reduce the stiffness and bulk of the binding, so cotton worked well. Janie

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Hey Chriss, guess what??!! I just finished a baby "cuddle" quilt for a friend..and I used cotton for the front, flannel for the back, and a flannel binding! Thank you for this thread! I would have not ever tried the flannel binding without you! lol!

Joanne:0)

live2quilttwo

Post by live2quilttwo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:35 am

When I make a baby quilt, I always like to use cotton for the top and flannel for the back. I don't use a binding, I just sew it right sides together with the batting as the bottom layer( stack batting, back-right side up, top-wrong side up) and stitch almost all the way around (leave an opening about 8"),then turn it inside out (or "birth" it as Eleanor would say). I slip stitch the opening shut and then top stitch all the way around 1/8" from the edge for stability. I make baby quilts to be loved and drug around and washed a lot. So far I have one that is 13 years old and one that is 6 years old and still doing well. The 6 yr old is on it's 2nd baby.
Ruth

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”