Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

"Supreme slider" or "Sewslip"

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
HomespunMary

"Supreme slider" or "Sewslip"

Post by HomespunMary » Mon May 26, 2008 5:12 am

Oasis/Linda mentioned in another thread that she uses a mat on the sewing machine to make the fabric glide more smoothly when free motion quilting. I'm really interested in buying one, but just realized there are actually two fo them: the "Supreme slider" and the "Sewslip", from different companies. Does anyone know if there are any big differences between the two (apart from size - the latter seems a bit bigger)?

beccasmom

Re: "Supreme slider" or "Sewslip"

Post by beccasmom » Mon May 26, 2008 9:24 am

I do not knwo the difference, but I just bought the super slider and do like it. It does work but I wish it were bigger. It would be nice if we could buy it to the size of our extension tables for our machines.

Brenda

Rose92

Post by Rose92 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:27 am

I have the Supreme slider and I discovered something today when I was free motion quilting. If the quilt is big and heavy, it can drag and your clear acrylic extension table can move, then the slider moves with it and the little hole in the middle of the slider moves, then the needle gets stuck in the rubber and jams up. At first I thought the slider was moving but on closer inspection the extension table had moved. I had to recut the hole larger to get rid of the needle rips. So........be forewarned.

My DH then polished my extension table and sewing machine arm with Carnu-B wax and it is just as slick as the Supreme slider!

Linda

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Mon May 26, 2008 5:07 pm

Hmmmm, I may have to get some of that car wax. LOL

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Tue May 27, 2008 3:25 am

Having worked in industrial metals and plastics, I know you have to be very careful about what comes in contact with plastic. If the extension table and machine bed are metal the wax will be fine but it could deteriorate plastic over time and it will weaken and crack. Check the label of the wax and be sure it is safe for all kinds of plastic/vinyl.
Diane Gaudynski, whose quilt won in Paducah this year for machine quilting, writes about this on her website and what she does for her machine.

http://www.dianegaudynski.net/'>http:// ... ynski.net/

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Tue May 27, 2008 7:19 am

Thanks girls!

Brenda - yes, the size thing. I too was thinking about that. If it can easily be cut, why not sell it in a very big size and let the buyers cut it to fit their machine tables.

Linda - thanks so much for the warning. I guess that could really mess up the machine if things went bad. Hope your machine survived! And, what is Carnu-B wax?

sewbug - first of all, a HUGE thanks for the web link! How great and inspiring that was, to see someone who actually quilts award winning quilts on a domestic machine! She also seems to love the supreme slider, LOL! But, about the different materials: my machine is plastic, and my extension table is also some kind of acrylic material (I think). Do you think there are any big risks involved if the mat was was only used while actually quilting, and removed every time I stop? I really wouldn't want to mess up my new and very large (and very expensive) extension table... :-)

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Tue May 27, 2008 3:20 pm

Maria, I just ordered a Sewslip. It is bigger. I'm not too sure about being sticky on the reverse side, but my machine is metal and the cabinet around it is wood. I don't have the worry with plastic. I have a small traveling machine that is plastic so will see what the sewslip does for it.

Linda/Oasis
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Tue May 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Sewbug, thanks for the wax warning.

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 pm

sewbug, sorry, I misread your post - forget my question :-)

And, I just ordered the sewslip!

Oasis/Linda, can't wait to hear if you think there are any other differences between the two apart from the size!

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 am

Got my SewSlip today! Too bad I have nothing to quilt in order to try it... Must get a move on with my next project.

Oasis, have you found any differences between the two yet?

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”