Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Martelli Rotary Cutter

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
naniyosie

Martelli Rotary Cutter

Post by naniyosie » Thu May 01, 2008 3:26 am

I bought the martelli rotary cutter several months ago, and it 'skips' when I cut fabric. I am using 'their' mat and the blade is still new.
Does anyone else have this problem?
I think I should put it 'aside' and use my Olfa!!!!

knitnoid

Re: Martelli Rotary Cutter

Post by knitnoid » Thu May 01, 2008 7:48 am

Hum...I love my Martelli Rotary Cutter and don't have problems with skipping - unless there's a problem with my blade. I use the Olfa mat. Are these huge 'skips' or a couple of threads?

Even though your blade is new, I'd try a new blade.

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Thu May 01, 2008 4:49 pm

Try putting a single drop of oil on the blade and if possible reversing the blade so it 'inside' is on the outside section. Sometimes these two things help with my olfa cutters. Also if yours has a screw to adjust it's ''tension'' you might make it a bit looser. just a few thoughts.

btw...my chiropractor uses these.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Sat May 03, 2008 12:22 am

tiggersmom - Jennifer.

I could not resist this - does your chiropractor use these on patients?
The devil made me do it! :)

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat May 03, 2008 12:49 am

I have this rotery cutter for about 4 years and love it it maybe just the rotery cutter itself why don't you see if you can return it and seeif they will give you another one .

fabricgirl

xteacher

Post by xteacher » Sat May 03, 2008 1:59 pm

I have been having problems with mine. I kept changing the blades and soon found I was having a "flat tire" feeling. Well, I put Martelli blades on my list for Paducah because we cannot buy them locally. I was using whatever blades I could find. This company has a great customer service attitude. The young lady there said it sounded like a bad bolt and for me to call their store and tell them I needed a new bolt. She then dug one out of the trash can that someone had brought back and gave me the bolt. The problem is these are side specific and I am left handed. Well, when I got home and changed it, you could see where the blades I had been using had cut a groove about an 1/8 of an inch deep. I think I have done this with two different ones. I thought I was just wearing them out. I had intended to take the cutter to their booth, because they replaced the very first one I bought because it broke a spring, but I forgot to get it. I have also tried the tip about running the blade over a piece of tin foil several times. I don't know if it helped any. Their sign at Paducah claims that THEIR blades last 9-12 months. Guess we'll see.

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Sat May 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Martelli has a lifetime, no questions asked free replace policy on their products. Just call them and they will send you a new one. Amie

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Sat May 03, 2008 6:42 pm

LOL pilot2b! not on her people, just on her fabric!

naniyosie

Post by naniyosie » Sat May 17, 2008 7:31 am

I've had enough of the martelli rotary cutter...I've been through 3 blades in 3 months. I have two more to go; and the rotary cutter is going in the garbage. I love my Olfa.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat May 17, 2008 11:12 am

Naniyosie - I love my Martelli rotary cutter. As suggested, please call them and tell them the problem you are having and see what they say.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”