Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

When is the next meeting of El's Angels?

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
QuiltinKay

When is the next meeting of El's Angels?

Post by QuiltinKay » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:44 pm

I was just getting don my purple p.j.'s and join the meeting when a lady knocked on my door. Turned out someone had told her that I sew and she needed someone to make her a costume for Christmas caroling. I said no, she begged, I said no again, she begged a little more. and I caved. Would someone please teach me to say NO? I always hate it when I let myself get talked into doing something I don't want to do. For some reason people seem to think that old women who are retired have nothing to do. LOL I'm busier now than when I was teaching school raising three children and being the "perfect" pastor's wife.(You may laugh now.)
SO......... when is the next meeting? Kay

mequilter9158

Re: When is the next meeting of El's Angels?

Post by mequilter9158 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:54 pm

How about we start it right now?

justdawne

Post by justdawne » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Nothin' funny about your story Kay. It rings too true, sadly.

I want to share a story with you - 'perfect' pastor's wife that you are.

When I was getting married I wanted a simple, elegant ivory dress. It was more like a fancy church dress than a wedding dress. I didn't have a lot of money so I decided I'd sew my own dress.

Start Laughing.

I didn't have a sewing machine. I didn't know how to thread a sewing machine. I can't honestly remember but I might have been hoping to borrow a machine?

Feel free to keep laughing.

ANYWAY...my mother's pastor's wife saw me sad one day and asked why. I explained about the dress, showed her the pattern - etc.., Had no idea she could sew, quite well in fact.

She offered to sew my dress for me. I think she wanted to help.

In typical pastor's wife fashion she had so much on her plate. She came back to me and told me she couldn't sew the dress. I know she would have made it if she had the time.

My whole point is that in the end I had a dress. Not the one I had my heart set on but a nice dress. She made the decision she needed to make that was best for her. I'm sure it wasn't easy for her.

The moral of the story is it's better to say no at the start than to have to back out or burn the midnight oil. AND perhaps the Christmas caroler could have made do with another costume or without a costume?

Saying "NO" at appropriate times in one of the habits of Highly Effective People, I believe. Making your own decisions so that others don't make them for you is Habit #3 for Highly Effective Teens. After a life of raising a family, being part of a married team and serving others you also have earned "ME time". Coincidentally "Me time" is habit #7 of Highly Effective Teens.

If we know these things are good for teens I'm sure they are good for us too. I especially like habit #7 ;)

Why don't you suggest another date for El's Angels to get together? One you know you can make?

dawne

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:33 pm

Kay, next time tell them you'll teach them how to sew, so they can make their own costume. That should send them running out of the house. lol
Lori 8-)

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Dawne, can you make a dress now? lol
Lori 8-)

justdawne

Post by justdawne » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:57 pm

zfatcat,

NOPE! Still can't sew a dress! Skirt maybe. It's those sleeve things that trip me up.

I did however pay for one of my daughters to have sewing lessons. She can make a dress. LOL

dawne

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:45 pm

lol Dawne, at least you had your girls learn so they could do it for you. Lori
Lori 8-)

naniyosie

Post by naniyosie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:56 am

This is what I say:
Sorry, I'm not a seamstress! I'm a quilter!!!

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:19 am

Hi, Kay! I think most of us find ourselves in that situation at one time or another. And it's the pitts! And I don't mean peach pitts, either! LOL! Maybe you could put a sign around your neck that says "BEWARE: rabid badger in disguise...the last person who asked me to sew for them is going thru a series of rabies shots right now!" LOL! Just teasing, but hey....it's a thought! LOL!

Sorry you missed the El's Angels meeting! I wondered where you were, but the posts were flying so fast it was hard to keep up! roseytoes finished 4 pillowcases and Littlebit posted a pic of her cute snowman placemats.

I'm up for everyone's suggestions here. Friday nights aren't good for some, especially those with kiddos and working, and Saturdays aren't good for others, etc... So, maybe we could hold the meetings on both Friday and Saturday nights and let everyone choose which night they can make it??? I know I have a lot of projects to get done, so I'd be at both meetings just to try to get caught up on things! There were several who had other committments Friday night and popped in to say hello late when things were winding down. So, what does everyone think about having meetings on both weekend nights????

Littlebit

Post by Littlebit » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:38 am

Sounds good to me!! I'm always up waiting for my son to get home :)

Return to “Projects from the Heart”