Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Just one

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
sunsup

Just one

Post by sunsup » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:43 pm

A friend of mine, who's son is in Iraq sent an e-mail asking folks to make out just one extra Christmas Card and mail it to:

A Recovering Military Member
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington DC 20307-5001

Ooooops!!!!!! PLEASE see the following from Tigersmom! So sorry for the bad information.

Sandy

Tiggersmom

Re: Just one

Post by Tiggersmom » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:04 pm

Please Do Not send to the address listed above! It will be thrown away!!! due to security reasons: I know this is a Long post but PLEASE READ IT ALL!!!!!!!!

Please read the following sent to me by someone that works for the VA!

Here is what I found about the cards to soldiers.

Cards for Recovering Soldiers

Claim: Walter Reed Hospital will accept Christmas cards addressed to "A Recovering American Soldier."

Example: [Collected by e-mail, October 2007]

A Great Idea!!!

When you are making out your Christmas card list this year, please include the following:

A Recovering American Soldier

c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6900 Georgia Ave., NW

Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

If you approve of the idea, please pass it on to your e-mail list.

Origins: Sometimes a great-sounding idea proves to be far less of a brainstorm once considered from all angles. That is indeed the case with the October 2007 open-hearted entreaty to add

"A Recovering American Soldier" to your Christmas card list. While no one can fault the sentiment behind the suggestion (not only to remember the less fortunate during the holiday season but to make a special effort to reach out to those who have been wounded in the service of their country), the plan falters on one cruel yet central reality — in these times of heightened security, mail from strangers to unnamed soldiers must for everyone's safety be discarded unopened.

The U.S. Postal Service will not accept mail addressed to "Any Soldier," "Any Wounded Soldier," or the like because if it did, it could be providing a conduit for those who might do harm to armed services members. Such offerings are either returned to sender (if a return address has been provided or if one is found within the package) or donated to charities (if no address for the sender is found). Similarly, military hospitals will not accept letters, cards, or packages addressed in such manner for the same reason. Such beneficences, no matter how kindly meant, are not permitted to reach the soldiers they were intended for.

Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials echoed this information in a statement regarding the proposed plan to send cards to unnamed soldiers in its care:

Mail to Wounded and Recovering Soldiers

Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind those individuals who want to show their appreciation through mail to include packages and letters, addressed to "Any Wounded Soldier" that Walter Reed will not be accepting these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting "Any Service Member" or "Any Wounded Service Member" letters or packages. Mail to "Any Service Member" that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

Instead of sending an "Any Wounded Soldier" letter or package to Walter Reed, please consider making a donation to one of the more than 300 nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping our troops and their families listed on the "America Supports You" website, www.americasupportsyou.mil

Other organizations that offer means of showing your support for our troops or assist wounded servicemembers and their families include:

http://www.usocares.org/

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/tooursoldiers/

http://www.redcross.org

For individuals without computer access, your local military installation, the local National Guard or military reserve unit in your area may offer the best alternative to show your support to our returning troops and their families. Walter Reed Army Medical Center will continue to receive process and deliver all mail that is addressed to a specific individual.

As Walter Reed continues to enhance the medical care and processes for our returning service members, it must also must keep our patients and staff members safe while following Department of Defense policy. The outpouring of encouragement from the general public, corporate America and civic groups throughout the past year has been incredible. Our Warriors in Transition are amazed at the thanks and support they receive from their countrymen.

Although the Walter Reed Army Medical Center is not accepting holiday cards for recovering soldiers, the American Red Cross has said that small gifts may be sent to patients in that facility through them:

The Walter Reed Army Medical Center is ONLY accepting phone cards, CDs, individual small packets of candy, things like that; which they will distribute among the soldiers (as they have a lot of in and out patients). They are not accepting Holiday Cards, as they don't have the human resources to distribute them.

You may send your packets to:

American Red Cross

Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6900 Georgia Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20307-5000

Last updated: 9 November 2007

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/politics/christma ... rcards.asp

Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2007

by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson

CoyoteQuilts

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks for the update!! :) Sharon V.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks for the info Tiggersmom
Lori 8-)

quiltwithmom

Post by quiltwithmom » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:28 am

OH MY I thought this was such a good idea when I received the email. I e-mailed it to my nieces. I only sent to a couple of people so I am sending the updated info. Thanks for letting us know.
I knew packages needed a name to go overseas but it didn't sink in to this feeble brain about the cards. It does make since even though we would all love to send cards to these soldiers.

teacupdelights

Post by teacupdelights » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:56 pm

TiggersMom - thanks so much for the accurate information and links you provided for sending cards or gifts to the military.

It would have been to bad to send something out with every good intention and not have it reach anyone due to the security concerns.

Return to “Projects from the Heart”