Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Who wears quilting gloves?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
quilterbee

Re: Who wears quilting gloves?

Post by quilterbee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:20 am

Before I got my frame I used Machingers and using them really takes the strain off your shoulders and back. Amie

Susie

Post by Susie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:59 pm

I am a beginner but I did get some F and P gloves and wore them to do meandering on my MIL's quilt on the border recently. This was on a lap quilt that I had 505 spray-basted. The gloves worked like a charm...it did take some getting used to but I felt I had much more control and the meandering turned out way better than my first attempt on my DH's quilt. I tend to have to force myself to use things until I get the "feel" for them. It took me forever to feel comfortable with a thimble!!! As for the gloves I am going to stick with them as I think they made my work look much nicer.
Susie

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:28 pm

I have some easy adaptable garden gloves that were washed first, and they work wonderful with stipuling and free motion. They came in a package of three and I just keep changing them as I use them. I finally saw the others used on F and P show one day. They aren't on any around now in Michigan on PBS.

Spudgrandma

Post by Spudgrandma » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:18 am

I also use the garden gloves, I bought a new pair just for quilting. I really resisted using gloves at all but my hands started hurting so bad from trying to grip the quilt with my fingertips, although age may have something to do with it LOL, so I finally gave up and tried the gloves. I agree they are a pain, having to take them off and put them back on, but I would not quilt without them again. My hands do not hurt when I use them.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:21 am

I just used my F & P gloves. Couldn't have quilted without them. They are grippy but light weight. I love them. I don't know why I procrastinated about getting them.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:58 am

gloves make me batty - have have trouble with any kind of gloves i am usually barehanded unles it is freezing outside
i have trouble working if i cnat feel what i am working on

Rose92

Post by Rose92 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:36 pm

I used the F & P gloves for my first experiment with machine quilting and found they really helped grip the quilt. However, it was a pain to take them on and off to pin, thread, etc,. So I cut about 1 1/2 inch off the thumb and the first finger of each hand. Now I don't have to remove my gloves to pick small things up or thread the machine, and it doesn't interfere with my grip on the quilt.

happymrs

Post by happymrs » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:51 pm

I have used them some, if I keep having trouble holding on to my quilt while quilting it, but I find I don't need them every time.

Nancy...

Aanna123

Post by Aanna123 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:26 am

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:43 pm

I have a pair of fons and porters they really are worth it they keep the fabric moving.

Lois.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”