Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Stocking construction tips

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
IowaGal

Stocking construction tips

Post by IowaGal » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:36 am

For these Christmas stockings, the hardest part for me is the cuff. I tried this and it works pretty slick. If you are using a print lining or even a heavier muslin, Cut the lining at the top 5 inches (or double the finished length of the cuff) taller than the stocking. Fold over to just below or even with the top. Press. When you sew the stocking, start at the top of the lining. When you turn it inside out, voila, your cuff is there! Don't forget to insert the hanger as well. Stitch the fold at the top of the stocking to keep the fold in place. It works for me. Also, I took the lining and back and cut a large square instead of cutting the shape first. (No matter what i do, the linings,backing and stocking front are never the same size)I sew it all together with the batting side up, then trim away all of the excess backing and lining fabric. It wastes a little more, but it is saving a lot of headache of mismatching edges and not catching all the fabric.

Georgiapeach

Re: Stocking construction tips

Post by Georgiapeach » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:27 am

Great tip! The cuffs are the hardest part for me, too, so this sounds much easier, thanks!

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:46 am

Thanks IowaGal! That's a great idea. I copied and pasted your directions to a Word document and printed it out. I finally got a binder to put all these QIAD Forum tips in. You have all given me so many good ideas and I don't want to lose them off the bottom of page 8!! Thanks again!

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:18 pm

I also copied and saved. Thanks Iowa Gal.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:11 am

Hey, that's how I did my cuffs!

I've GOT to get pictures posted on how I did my stockings - sew easy!

Slow

Post by Slow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:54 am

I just joined the forum and the first thing I read taught me something! I can tell that this is going to be great. Thanks.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:10 am

OK....this is probably a dumb question, but I have to ask. You probably would only do this if you were using a pretty lining fabric, or like you say heavy muslin. If the lining is plain muslin I guess it would be better to do it the other way???? I'm trying to use the muslin I have on hand for the lining, so can't say it would make a nice a cuff as I would like. Is my thinking on track? Your lining will also be your cuff correct? I've never been very good at sewing and construction. I can only do quilts. LOL LOL LOL

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:06 am

Grammy, I made my cuffs out of a different material. I'm not even sure how to use the lining for the cuffs. Anyway I'm just useing an inexpensive muslin for the lining since it doesn't show.

These are the ones I sent for Iraq project:

[/img]
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:23 am

CindyB, yes please, when you get time would you post some pics of how this is done with the cuffs?

Welcome Slow, nice to have you join us!

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:20 am

The first one I did was regular muslin, and it looks ok.

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”