Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Idle machine...

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
grammy

Idle machine...

Post by grammy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:56 pm

I have the Gammill Classic and haven't used it at all for the last couple of months. I know that I should at least run it here and there to keep the 'oil flowing'. But between working and watching grandchildren, I haven't been able to work on a quilt top, much less be ready to quilt one. What do any of you do with your LA's between quilts?

grammy65

Re: Idle machine...

Post by grammy65 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:50 am

I sometimes go quite a while between quilts. Since I don't do customer quilts, I have to do either charity quilts or some practice quilts. I'm pretty slow making my own quilts. I just cover the head with a towel or something to keep the dust off and check once in a while to see if it needs oil. Doesn't seem to mind sitting there. I know I need to practice more, but I get so tired of just practicing on muslin. It's so much more fun to do an actual quilt. But sometimes I hate to load a quilt that I have purchased at a garage sale, because sure as shootin another quilt will come along that needs to be done, so I have to hurry with the practice one. I have a couple tops that I got for $1 apiece. Not in the best shape, but it's amazing how good they look after they are quilted. Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear!!!

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:12 am

A quilt top for a dollar? What a great find.
Lori 8-)

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:50 am

Grammy, have you considered getting an extra set of zippered leaders? That way, if you have a quilt loaded and another one comes along that needs doing, you can just zip off the one that's on and load another one on the extra leaders.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:11 am

Hi QC....I have thought about the zippers. Just don't know if it is worth the expense for the amount of quilts I do. But I know a lot of people have them and love them.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:20 am

when I first started I too got bored working on muslin so I found patterned fabric on sale for 1 -2 a yard and loaded them and practiced following the pattern. I got what ever hobby lobby was trying to get rid of for example I found one that had beautiful autum leaves on it and practiced outlining the leaves and doing veins and then stippling in between the leaves. This also works with rabbits, holly leaves etc - depending on the size they make great throws for holidays or can give as charity covers. Just practice.

I dont have zippered leaders and keep thinking I should bite the bullet and get several sets of them but then my quilts would sit in the corner while I worked on someone elses and it gives me the just do it habit

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:20 pm

I know this sounds boring, but I just leave it on the frame until I'm done. Which takes a long time because I'm a slowpoke and I'm very busy. Amie

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”