Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

over running your machine

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
gardenquilter

over running your machine

Post by gardenquilter » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:38 am

does anyone have a problem with this and how do you address it - do you make your stitch regulator shorter or take it off - I have a tendancy to go to fast on occasion

Quiltcreator

Re: over running your machine

Post by Quiltcreator » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:22 am

Clarify please - what do you mean by overrunning?

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:28 pm

going so fast that it cant keep up with you - for example when I am doing free motion which is most of the time I tend to loose track of everything but the rythum and feel of the machine - the more I am into it the faster I go and then I wind up with skipped stitchs and blanks - I am moving so fast that it will skip stitches
do you every do this

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:04 pm

I usually use my stitch regulator for regular quilting, but find I can do a lot better without the SR when I'm stippling. I tend to want to go too fast for the SR. I know a lot of longarmers who started out without a SR don't even want one. I think the machines run a lot smoother without the stitch regulator, but I do like mine in case I have a runaway. LOL

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:05 pm

I couldn't live without my stitch regulator. I've never had the problem of going too fast. I'm too much of a perfectionist to race away when I'm quilting; I can't imagine trying to control what I'm doing if I was going so fast that it would skip stitches!

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:28 am

the stitch regulator is a huge plus I dont like to not use it. I just get so into what I am doing

I wish we could put more on the bobbins though

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:31 pm

I use the medium length on my SR. When I need to think or stop, I just stop moving the machine. The SR soes make your machine loud and quiet, loud and quiet, but that's what they are built for. It won't hurt your machine...as long as your machine was built to be put on a frame.

Also, remember..music is a must when your quilting either on or off the frame. Your body will get in the "groove" and your quilting will be very smooth. I listen to Prince, Def Lepard, or Chris Daughtry. My buddy listens to Kenny G, find you a good CD and relax. Amie

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”