Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Preparing your quilt for a longarmer

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
cindyg

Re: Preparing your quilt for a longarmer

Post by cindyg » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:30 am

Qltsbme - I agree with your #1. I just slapped the border on one of my quilts. The long arm quilter called me to tell me there was too much excess fabric so she gave me 2 options. She could pleat my border in a couple of places or she could not quilt the border and I could do it by hand and work in the extra fullness. My border fabric was busy so I just told her to pleat it. I never put a border on like that again. Now I take 2 measurements 1/3 the way in from both edges for the length and then the width. If the measurement is not exact I average it. It is extra work but my borders have been great since. Your info is wonderful. Thanks to you and QC.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:23 am

I always try to get all threads when I am quilting one I snip the back as it comes over the roller and I keep plenty of those masking tape on a roll lint brushes around and roll as I go. I just can't stand the thought of getting to the end of a quilt and see a dark thread peeking through. It does take time but I feel like it is a reflection of my work. I also have had to pleat the borders in places it usually can be done without anyone noticing but if the border measurement is taken from the middle of the quilt and sewn as such it usually aleviates that from happening.

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:10 am

GQ - I also clip all the threads that I can when I quilt customer quilts. If there's a dark thread showing, I will fish it out with my crochet hook. I want the quilt leaving my studio looking good not looking like it needs help.

marcia

Post by marcia » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:25 pm

I have been sewing a strip of muslin (about 4")or cotton on my borders before loading it on my shortarm. The reason I do is so I can quilt all the way to the edge of the border and some of my ladies like to use the backing as binding and it leaves them extra fabric on the back. Also I like to use all my fabric mainley if it is expensive and not have to allow the extra that needs to be allowed to load it. I hope this makes sence. Is this a good idea and does anyone else do this.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”