Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Where can one find someone to quilt the tops?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Jasinta

Where can one find someone to quilt the tops?

Post by Jasinta » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:48 am

Hi,
Up to now, I only make small quilts, up to crib size. I really would love to make some for a Queen and King size bed, but there is no way I would be able to quilt it on my machine.

How does one go about finding someone that does this? I live between Monterey and San Francisco, CA.
Thank you.

SewSew

Re: Where can one find someone to quilt the tops?

Post by SewSew » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:08 pm

Jasinta, if I was you I would check with my LQS. They may be able to help you find someone in your local area.

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:45 pm

I am about half-way through reading (studying) Harriet Hargrave's Heirloom Machine Quilting. She is one of the first ladies of machine quilting. I recommend the book for EVERYONE that thinks they can't quilt a queen size quilt on a home machine. I have done it, and every quilt in Harriet's book that is featured for it's beautiful quilting was done on a home...short arm...machine. Get inspired to try. It all depends on the batting you use and how you package the quilt. It is a must read if you really want to quilt your own quilts so they will be ALL YOURS.

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Jasinta, I agree with SewSew, ask Quilt Shops, fabric shops, Quilt Guilds.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:39 pm

Calico, where did you get the book?

dforseth

Post by dforseth » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:08 pm

I quilt mine on my regular machine. I have quilted crib, twin, queen, and king. You have to take the time to roll and re-roll your quilt. Check the back to make sure you don't have a "boo-boo". Give it a try.

Debbie
Debbie Forseth
:D

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:30 pm

I've done a king-sized quilt (I posted pictures of it) on my machine. I love doing free motion!

carrieg

Post by carrieg » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:13 pm

I have noticed when I am at my local Field's Fabrics, they have a section where you can post your business cards. Not just longarm quilting, but tailoring, upholstery, etc. If you don't have a LQS, try a fabric store of some sort. They may have a bulletin board or something similar.

This is one reason I just bought a Janome MC6600P. It has a large 9 inch throat. Hopefully I can work up to quilting something of my own.

Carol

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:45 pm

Have you tried quilting each block or section and then putting the sections together? Marti Mitchell has a great method for doing the section quilting and of course the great Georgia Bonesteel has the Quilt As You Go perfected.

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:50 pm

There are several of us longarm quilters on here.
You can check around and ask for experience and pricing by pm.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”