Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Feeddogs up or down?

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
calicopuzzle

Re: Feeddogs up or down?

Post by calicopuzzle » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:12 am

And besides, who said all waves are the same? Unless of course you are going to compete in quilt shows, I enjoy quilting for the fun of quilting....of course striving to improve my quilting...but not perfection. All of my quilts seem to be practice quilts...by the time I make the perfect one, the Lord will take me home!

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:10 am

Thanks, calico, I feel so much better loking at my waves now...! They are just a bit uneven, like in the ocean!

And, yes, I'm just like you - I only do it for the fun, and certainly have no quilt competitions in mind! Besides, there are no quilt shows in this part of the world, so couldn't do it even if I wanted...:-)

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:56 am

I to this day have never put the walking foot on my machine

LynnS

Post by LynnS » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:02 am

This'll be a little long....

I'm so glad I found this thread. I have posted in one or two other threads on other discussion topics with questions about the quilting part. I like the patterns I can get at the LQS when they do the quilting (have only had one done but they have all the samples up on the wall to see). Well it will be out of my budget to get everything quilted there. My machine is a Singer, can't find a model # but it is very basic. There is a darning foot available which I need to get.

I've been scared to try free motion quilting on it. It seems like it isn't a good enough machine to "cut it". But now I'll search out that darning foot and give it a try. I can't lower the feed dogs. I'll attempt with them the way they are and if it is no good I'll cover them up with a business card or something, as my machine doesn't have a plate to cover them.

When I try this I'll use scraps and batting layered as if they were a quilt. What is the best (not necessarily the most expensive) batting to use?

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:29 am

I am a warm and natural girl Ha ha it is my favorite batting to use but everyone has different preference - It is not the cheapest but then you can watch and find it on sale and there are great places on line for discounts of it - tee hee I am sure you will get tons of feedback on this issue - just make sure it is needle punched and that it doesnt have trash in it. I had a customer bring me some in january that actually had what appeared to be hull and sticks in it -I didnt use it she said she had found it on sale somewhere and could not remember where

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”