Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

ugrr quilt

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
gardenquilter

ugrr quilt

Post by gardenquilter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:11 pm

hope I transfered this right here goes

Underground Railroad BOM

Thought I'd start a new thread for those of us who want to take on this project. This is a great way to stay "on track" while working on a large quilting project. Let me look over the book and plan the next few months out.
Your assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to get a copy of the QIAD book-Underground Railroad. Fabric requirements for the 15 block version are listed in the front of the book. You can see what you have in your stash that would work for the blocks and fill in what you need, or gather all new fabric. Block 16 is a photo transfer-don't even worry about that yet. If you would be interested in having a "kit" avalible, maybe QIAD can help us out!
Helpful rulers to have are 6.5" triangle square up ruler, 6" square up ruler, 6 x 12 (or 6 x18) ruler. Large and small Flying Geese rulers are optional. If you want to make the Flying Geese lattice (and I know you really want to try them), I would recommend them. Mother's Day is comming and these would make a great gift. They really make the job easier, but you can get by with just a 6x12.
I'm using Mistletoe Manor by Moda for my quilt-I have a pack of fat quarters that I didn't know what to do with...saw this book and thought it would be a great project. Hope that won't offend the 'quilt police". Let's take some time to gather our supplies....and plan on starting to sew in May.
All aboard!!

Underground Railroad BOM-Month 1

Welcom aboard ladies! Thought I would post this early so those of us who have to plan ahead will have plenty of time. I want to take my time with this quilt and really develop good habits. Taking one block a month will allow me to concentrate on skill building instead of production.

MONTH ONE: FLYING GEESE

I chose to start with this block because there is a great video on how to make these at the QIAD home page! Eleanor makes them look so easy...and the directions in the book will help you if you need further instructions. Since I have many projects going at one time, I like to break a project into smaller steps that can be done when time allows. Here is how I'm going to approach this block.

Step1: watch video at least once (15 minutes)
Step 2: read pages 100-104 in book-also review pages 24-31 (15 minutes)
Step 3: make one sample out of scrap fabric to make sure I understand it (30 minutes)
Step 4: cut out block (if you haven't done so yet) (30 minutes)
Step 5: put a new needle in sewing machine and clean machine (15 minutes)
Step 6: make 12 geese blocks (1 hour?)
Step 7: add side strips (15 minutes)
Step 8: assemble block (15 minutes)
Step 9: press and square (15 minutes)

Skills I'm going to work on:
learning how to use the QIAD rulers for Flying Geese
pressing seams in the right direction
unsew stitches to make block lay flat
practice using stilleto

Fun things I may do along the way:
order pizza with an extra box to keep squares in
make a Flying Geese baby quilt-you never know when someone may "pop"

Block 2
The nest block we will be working on is CROSSROADS.

Step 1: read pages 78 to 82 in book.
Step 2: choose fabrics-cut out. (30 minutes)
Step 3: sew (30 minutes)
Step 4: final press and square (15 minutes)

Skills I am going to work on:
pressing seams neatly
keeping seam allowances even

Fun things I may do along the way:
get a pizza box to put blocks in-ate pizza twice last month, but didn't get a box!
make a Scrappy Square block for Greensburg, KS (see separate thread)-you can do this-it's Flying Geese (from last month) with a scrappy centre.

Well, I'm off to the sewing room....come and join me!

UR BOM 3

This is an early posting! Do not panic....take a breath in...let it out slowly.... ok... here we go!

This month we will complete two block: DRUNKARD'S PATH and WAGON WHEEL. Both of these blocks use lightweight fusible interfacing, so if you need to go and get some, you have plenty of time. I thought, since they both use the same technique, it won't be that hard to make both of them.

You do need to make a decision however-will you hand embroider the blocks or use the fancy stiches on your sewing machine? It's your choice. Me-I'm a hand sewer. I have found that two lengths of DMC embroidery floss works well for me. Also, I can take the blocks to work and work on them there, so it makes the day go by faster. I don't even use a full blanket stitch-just vertical stitched to look like I blanket stitched, but no thread at the outside edge of the applique to wear down. Also, my machine has limited capabilities in this area. Those of you who have newer machines may want to showcase some of those stitches.

Drunkard's Path
read pages 116-121 15 minutes
select fabric-cut out 15 minutes
trace 4 patterns on interfacing 15 minutes
pin and sew interfacing/fabric 30 minutes
embroidery varies 5 min machine/30 min hand
cut squares/reassemble 30 minutes
final press/square 15 minutes

Wagon Wheel
read pages 46-51 15 minutes
select fabric-cut out 15 minutes
sew wedges (steps 3-8) 15 minutes
trim/sew circle 15 minutes
mark and cut interfacing 15 minutes
sew circles 15 minutes
embroider varies
final press/square block 15 minutes

Things I will work on on these blocks:
Making sure the interfacings bumpy side is facing the right side of the fabric
the first time I tried this, I convinced myself it was wrong....remember that you are going
to slit the interfacing and turn it so the bumpy (glue) side will be on the outside.
Using my stiletto to open the seams on the Drunkard's Path-it really does help the block lay flat.
Use my scraps from previous blocks to make the wheel wedges.

I know this sounds like a lot to do, but the technique is the same. I am so proud of all of you keeping up. Let's take it up a notch this month!

UR BOM #4

Decided to call this #4, even though it is block #5....hope you don't mind. There is a picture posted in the photo session of my block.

This month, we will be making the Shoo-Fly block. It has always been one of my favorite blocks, and the directions in the book make it very easy to do, in fact, from ironing the fabric to final pressing was under an hour. That's my kind of block! The instructions are on pages 90 to 95.

There were no suprises...the most complicated thing to do was cutting the 16 triangles...I followed the directions and they came out beautiful. I did take the time to square up each and every triangle square to a 2.5" square; if I were to do it again, don't know if it was worth the time as they really didn't require much trimming.

Good luck-please post your progress on this block. Hope you have as much fun with this one as I have had.

naniyosie

Re: ugrr quilt

Post by naniyosie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:15 am

Thanks for bringing this over to the new forum topic.

What block are you on now?

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:15 am

Nani - we're on #4 - or some of us are!!!! LOL!!!

GQ - as I started reading the post, the music came on the TV in the other room - go figure!!!! I think someone is trying to tell me that I should accept this assignment.... Did you know Peter Graves and James Arness are brothers?

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:52 am

I could not have told you they were brothers but when you said it i knew - must be in that bowi

towens71

Post by towens71 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:03 am

I have a confession to make. It wasn't my fault! I couldn't stop and ended up doing almost all the UGRR blocks over the weekend. I've only got 2 or 3 left. It's an addiction and I'm not working on it! I love the feeling of completion and the fabrics I am using, 1800's repro's. Most of the blocks went together well, and I think I only needed my seam ripper once (on the sailboat block of all things!)

I'll post pictures when I learn how to do it!

Traci

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:27 am

sounds like you have been busy tell us which ones you have done or which ones you havent done - glad to see that fabric didn't change places on you again- lol - what size are you blocks how are you planning on finishing
cant wait to see pictures

Evie

Post by Evie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:34 am

If I remember correctly, Arness is Swedish and Graves is the English translation. Also, that James Arness dropped several letters out of the name to shorten it up. Been a long time, don't remember all the details.

I think it's cute that Emilio Estaves and Charlie Sheen are brothers. Remember that commercial where Charlie waited so long for sevice, that he turned into Martin Sheen?

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:41 am

lol loved that commercial -

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:19 pm

Glad you made such great progress Towens. A block a month is rather slow, but it is something most of us can fit into our schedule. Sailboat block will be next!

towens71

Post by towens71 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:47 am

Good morning all! Right off hand I can't tell you which block's I've done/or haven't done, I'm at work currently and my memory for the names of the blocks really sucks. I've done mine in 12" and haven't decided how to finish them. I've decided to give this one to my husband for Christmas and want to make it large enough to cover him. If I can kick my daughter off of my laptop, I'll post pictures!

Traci

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”