Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Marking pencils

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
cindyg

Marking pencils

Post by cindyg » Mon May 14, 2007 4:46 pm

What was the verdict on the best way to mark a quilt - the Chacoliner
and General something or other. I can't find that thread. Thanks. I'm getting close to needing to mark.

cottonwoodqt

Re: Marking pencils

Post by cottonwoodqt » Tue May 15, 2007 3:55 am

I used a Fons & Porter Blue chalk pencil and couldn't brush it off. Called there consumer dept. and was advised to use Clorox II diluted with water and to lightly brush on the stencil lines. Does anyone have a solution - I'm a little nervous about ruining the fabric and thread. I'm sure someone out there has similar problem.

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Tue May 15, 2007 6:26 am

Harriet Hargrave in her "Heirloom Machine Quilting" book has a formula for removing graphite pencil marks. I would use your chalk on a scrap piece of fabric and then try some of the ways to remove the marks before you try it on your quilt. Here is this formula:
1 part water
3 parts rubbing alcohol
1-2 drops Palmolive or Joy (not Dawn) dishwashing soap
Apply the mixture to the marking and rub gently with a soft toothbrush to remove colored pencil and graphite pencil lines. Follow by wiping it with a clean cloth and then laundering.

Hope this works. You would think Fons and Porter would have a recipe for removing their own marking lines.:(

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Cindyg I bought some chalk pencils & the brand is Generals, from my LQS. They come in either white, pastel blue, yellow, silver or lt gray, chalk. They sharpen very well and I had no trouble with the chalk disappearing until I removed it with some wadded up batting. I have just used the white & lt blue on a very dk colored border. Hope this helps. Oh! JoAnns also had a red pencil thing with chalk you insert. It came wiht white & colored chalk refill pcs. The red thing was plastic. Hard to describe. Sorry. LOL

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue May 15, 2007 5:08 pm

To remove pencil marks dampen a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and lightly rub.

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Tue May 15, 2007 6:42 pm

I use the EZ red or blue chalk pencils with good success. The best I've found to mark a dark quilt is with a thin sliver of soap. The dark gold or green soap shows up pretty good on white, Ivory for the darker colors. I've never had a problem getting the soap marks out.

QuiltLady57

Post by QuiltLady57 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:39 am

I prefer the General's chalk pencil. comes in colors and erases pretty easily.

Carin

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Wed May 16, 2007 3:27 am

I was dissapointed by the Chacoliner--getting the marks off was a BEAR! Also one of my kids messed with it, managed to get it open, and now there is a yellow stain on the carpet from the powdered chalk.

I have been using General's brand charcoal pencils. I especially like the white one, labeled #558, for marking dark fabrics. Marks in a fine line and it isn't brittle or crumbly like a lot of white pencils are. I got them at Michael's on the suggestion of another quilter. So far, so good!

Carole

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Fri May 18, 2007 7:25 am

To Cindyg.......Sounds like the Generals chalk pencils are good ones....look at Michael's craft stores or an Art supply store. Quilt shops and fabric shops should have the Invisible thread. Some people like it and some do not. I have not tried the thread, yet.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri May 18, 2007 11:08 am

General's charcoal or chalk pencils????

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”