Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Fair results

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
IowaGal

Re: Fair results

Post by IowaGal » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:02 am

Oh I won't stop, that isn't it. It is just that affirmation of skill is always nice. I always wonder anyways if people are just being polite or do they really think my work is well done. I guess I am not explaining myself very well.

Leetec

Post by Leetec » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 am

I entered a quilt in a guild show. I got low marks for some of my peicing and quilting. Some of the points didn't match and my stitch in the ditch wandered sometimes. So, said I, now I know what to work on. I did get high marks for use of color and creativity. anyway, I looked closely at one of the quilts that had won a prize and I saw that quilt has the same "trouble spots" as mine did. I learned then not to take this judging stuff too seriously.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 am

IowaGal - You are way better than I am - I have never even had the courage to enter any of my work in any judged show - County Fair or Quilt Show. But I quilt because I love it, and the people I give my quilts to (mostly family) all love them. That's what's important, more important than a ribbon of any color. Keep working at it! And always remember, all your forum friends LOVE you!

Leetec

Post by Leetec » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:20 am

Oh, I was just thinking about perfect quilts and how I really don't think there is such a thing and, of course, my mind wandered...I was thinking that even professional quilters don't make perfect quilts. On one of the Simply Quilts, many of them actually, when they showed close ups of some of those quilts, esp if they were sewing on the show, their points or seams didn't always match up, either. So why do I beat mysef up over it? If I love the quilt and the person I'm making it for, and they love the quilt, who cares what the judge thinks?

Ok, I'll be quiet now...

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:53 am

I've got to give it to you just for trying. I've never entered anything. I'm sure if you keep trying you'll eventually get the blue ribbon. Did you post pics of your entries yet?
Lori 8-)

TexasQuilter

Post by TexasQuilter » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:30 am

Don't give up! You are giving so many of us the courage to enter quilts in our local fairs. I am going to the fair next month, and am planning to find out what to do so I can enter one next year. Your work was beautiful. You just never know what the judges will say or like. Hang in there.

Laura

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:42 am

Iowagal, I am sorry to hear you feeling so down about the fair outcome. I think you are very brave to step out there and enter one of your works in a contest to be judged by anyone. I have never entered anything before but I admire those that do. I hope that you do not let this one show break your spirit, if it makes you happy and you are satisfied with it is all that matters. Quilting is a form of art and not everyone likes every kind of art, that doesn't mean that it is any less a work of art.

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:13 pm

Pitty party, yep, been there done that but I got right back on the horse and rode again!

I've helped the judges at the county fair and it is a lot about their personal preferences. Sure they are suppose to be trained to be quilt judges and ours are but they remind themselves that this is a county fair being judged not the ""judged quilt show"" and at ours anyway they loosen up their standards some. Our judges always give a positive remark/s and one negative even if it wins best of show.

Don't get dicouraged, I bet if you entered in the county fair next to your county who knows what you might win! ! ! !

I've won red and blue ribbons at our fair but never placed in anything at a regular quilt show, not even an honorable mention...
So just appreciate your work because You did it!

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I have to say that for the most part, this upset of mine isn't really about quilting, it is more about personal demons, and this just pushed those buttons.

The real reason I KNEW this would not win was when I entered. When I dropped it off, I didn't get my tag, so I left it there on the counter with the helpers. Standing in line, I saw one of them pick it up, make a face and then a comment to the other lady, who shook her head. To be fair, the quilting wandered and the binding could have been a lot better.

busyhands125

Post by busyhands125 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Well, Iowagal , If you know your booboos then remember that and take your time working on that special project or two. Don't rush.

Pat

Return to “Chit Chat”