Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Computer crash

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
sewbug

Computer crash

Post by sewbug » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:36 pm

I guess I lost everything on the old one. All my favorites, downloaded programs, quilt patterns and many email addresses. I did think to back up all my pictures a few weeks ago, thank goodness I did that. Write on your shopping list: Buy several flash drives! Back up your computer files quilters! Sewbug Cindy

quilterliz

Re: Computer crash

Post by quilterliz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks for the advice! I do not have my patterns backed up anywhere, so I better get that done. So sorry you lost everything.

sunsup

Post by sunsup » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:32 pm

Something I've been meaning to do. I guess I'll make sure it gets done this week. Sorry about your loss, but wonderful that you were smart and saved your pictures at least.

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:21 pm

I should probably back up the file for the cookbook... If that's gets lost in a crash.. I'll curl up in a big ball and cry!

Mary

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:18 am

I got a new computer, not the super duper best but it's new. It has Windows Vista and of course my older printer and scanner aren't compatible with Vista. I have nothing on this new one yet to back up. But I found a website that will store everything on your computer online, it's safe according to Kim Komando (raido digital expert). It will do all the work for you for a low fee.http://carbonite.com/'>http://carbonite.com/ If asked if you want to install the flash program just say no, the site will open fine.

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:00 pm

I didn't know the symptoms of a computer crash to save everything. If your computer keeps blanking out saying it's locked and when you click ok it starts working again fine, that's one hint. When it takes a long time for a program to close or open is a hint. If the X won't close a browser window fast that's a hint. I had virus, spyware, and registry cleaner all working but that won't stop a crash. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up to pay attention to buggy happenings on the computer.

quilter78

Post by quilter78 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:51 pm

mine had crashed also but I didn't buy a new computer only a new hard drive.. naturally I lost every thing that was on the hard drive but didn't take long to put every thing in again.. I probably will need a new computer soon as mine is getting up there in age.. I am a little leary on the Vista, seeing it is so new.. Want to wait until all the bugs are out of it.. Also until I get the money..... How do you like the vista, is it hard to get used to.

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:19 am

I just bought a 1GB flash drive at Office Depot on sale for 14.95 but no instructions came with it.

What do I do with it? If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

My computer crashed a year ago and I lost EVERYTHING! So thanks for the reminder Sewbug.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

CoyoteQuilts

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:55 pm

Another thought: defrag your computer once in awhile. It helps things move faster & helps your computer.

Chidamoyo

Post by Chidamoyo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:32 am

Oasis, probably all you have to do is put the flash drive in one of your UBS ports and it will show up as a drive. I think my says removeable drive or maybe drive E. Just save to it like you would anyother drive. You can make files folders on it.

MaryQ, backup the cookbook. I did a cookbook years ago for our church camp as a money maker and after I had 121 recipes in it I misunderstood what it was asking and deleted all the recipes and had to start over again. I'm still dumb enough to forget to backup. I sure like computers now because most of the programs ask are you really sure you want to do that. When I dumped them before it didn't say are you sure, I just hit the key and it was gone. Talk about crying. LOL

Rita

Return to “Chit Chat”