Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sewing machine in the hospital

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
SewSew

Re: Sewing machine in the hospital

Post by SewSew » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:27 am

Sorry to hear about your machine. I hope you have a backup to use for the time being.

Sewbug what you say about the plastic parts does kinda make sense. My daughter had an issue with a weed eater with the nylon line, it heated up so much that the line began to melt and it messed up the plastic parts on the weed eater. I know that sounds crazy but I guess it is the same with using nylon thread in a sewing machine with plastic parts. The heat that builds up while using your machine, I imagine could affect the invisible thread on the machine, hence the parts on the sewing machine. I have not used invisible thread before but this will definitely make me think twice about using it on my newer machines.

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:04 pm

i never heard that invisable thread is bad for your machines i have a babylock espire sure hope it has not damaged mine ollie1shoe

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:48 pm

I bought invisible thread from QIAD but haven't used it yet. I'd better read my manual or call my dealer. I don't want to mess up my machine.

DarleneElaine

Post by DarleneElaine » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:36 am

I was told that invisible thread cuts into your tension and spray adhesive for material is also bad. So I will not use either.

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:00 am

I have a great machine tech but I hate sending my babies to him. I just hate that they aren't home where they need to be.

I don't use invisible thread because it's a pain to work with and I don't trust it. Polyester thread (sulky has one) is preferable to nylon, or so I was told when I was working for Husqvarna Viking. I don't remember the reasoning but I think it had something to do with the wear and tear on the machines.

quilterliz

Post by quilterliz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:40 pm

My machine is going in because the bobbin case is messed up again. I had to get a new bobbin case when it was a little over a year old! I guess a needle went in, it jammed and bent the bobbin case. Argh! Those little boogers are expensive!

Return to “Chit Chat”