Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

gardening

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
SueSwan

Re: gardening

Post by SueSwan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:40 am

Jasinta,
I love your picture. Farming is hard work, but so rewarding when your front yard looks like that.
I will be passing through Gilroy today, going to nephew's HS graduation in Pacific Grove. Picture doesn't look like Hwy 101, but I will keep my eyes open for your field of flowers !!!
SueSwan
north of the Golden Gate

Eajosian

Post by Eajosian » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:43 am

Beautiful !!!

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:06 am

Jasinta, the picture is beautiful. Wish it was the view from the front of my home. Can't get a thing to grow in AZ-but I keep several nurseries in business trying to keep a garden up! We have lots of rock...don't think that counts though.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:25 am

I like to garden I have about 20 rose bushes and other flowers. I planted Poppies this winter and they were beautiful until about mid May. I love being outside in my garden when I'm not quilting that is.
Lori 8-)

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:23 am

I love to be out in the yard working in my flower beds or my herb garden. I have a variety of plants in my beds, salvia, daylillies and gerber daisies right off our back patio. I have a few rosebushes and some cannas out in the yard and recently put in a flower bed along our back fence but have not done much with that yet.

I have concentrated on the herb garden the most. I tried to grow them in pots but they just don't do well for me. I have some raised beds DH made a couple of years ago and have slowly turned them into my herb garden. I have rosemary, lavendar, thyme, chives, italian parsley, anise, cilantro, sweet basil and cinnamon basil. I want to put in some sage and some pots with mint. I also have a couple of flowers planted in this area, there are marigolds and society garlic and some dianthus to add a little color. I dry some of my herbs to use during the winter.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:28 am

SewSew I tried herb in pots and they didn't do well. Once I put them in the ground they grew like crazy. I use fresh herbs all summer and fall when cooking. Then I dry what's left and use that until I run out. I love cooking with fresh herbs. They smell so good.
Lori 8-)

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:52 am

Peaches - you should have just told us that you have great rock gardens - LOL

I'm really good at keeping up silk ficus trees in the house. The yard is DH's terrirory. His annuals are dying and look terrible in the front yard. I don't care - isn't that awful??? My idea of weeding is to go out there with a bottle of RoundUp or some other weed killer. I'm not pulling weeds. I am real good at bossing my Dh around when we need a new bed or something. I wanted some Bridal Wreath not long ago so we ( mostly he) made a new bed in the back yard and we planted 3 Bridal Wreaths and some Dianthus and put a couple of layers of rock around it because that's what I wanted. He tolerates me - and he usually does whatever I want sooner or later. I'm a brat!

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:01 am

jasinita wow what a view - do you sell the seed to a retailer or to the public - what a beautiful view

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:29 am

DH just called and said the guy is coming this afternoon to do our patio!!!! We've only had the brick stacked in our driveway for a month! We finally found someone that wasn't sooooooo expensive to do the work. It's all planned out. It will be so nice to be able to sit out side when the weather is comfortable!

You all burst my bubble when you said herbs don't grow in pots very well...........I was so planning to put some cinnamon or chocolate basil in a couple of really big ones that I have. What does grow in those big honking things?????? I don't want catcus!
Where we live we get snow in the winter and Heat in the summer.
I might just have to settle for 'rocks', they[re everywhere else they might as well be in the big planter pots too.... :-(

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:30 am

Jasinta, what a beautiful view, thanks for sharing it with us.

Return to “Chit Chat”