Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

food question

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
gardenquilter

food question

Post by gardenquilter » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:09 am

ok I guess this related to quilting as I have to have my coffee before I can check this site - I have been looking at stevia as an alternative to sugar - I am allergic to aspartame any I have tried the stevia and am unable to get the amount correct because it is so sweet but it is natural 0 cal has anyone else tried it

luv_2quilt60

Re: food question

Post by luv_2quilt60 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:13 am

My DD uses it alot.My DH took it to work for his tea..He said it was ok...So, Yes they like it.

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:26 am

I have it in my cupboard but haven't used it much.

Evie

Post by Evie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:57 am

I have used both the liquid and the powdered form. It comes in little packets and you could buy those and try, like 1/4 of the packet and just keep adding it till you got the right amount. When I use the drops, I just use 3 to 4 drops. Lately, tho, I've been using Splenda. I like the taste of it a lot better. Have you tried a "blind" test of Splenda to see if you have a reaction to it?

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:37 am

I was using splenda a few years ago right before my asthma went off the charts then I have seen more than once that the chemical compound used to get the calories out of the sugar when making the splenda is the same stuff used in concetration camps to gas people

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:20 am

I don't like the after taste of the Stevia. I use Di Vinci Sugar free vanilla syrup. It only takes a little and adds great flavor to any drink. Never use aspartame in anything hot. The heat changes the chemicals, most people experience headaches and muscle aches if using it heated. My Dr. said Splenda was okay for me to help with using less sugar. Did you know that if you mix two sweeteners together you get double the sweetness? Any two different type sweeteners, like Splenda, Equal, Sweet and Low, mixed together or with plain sugar. 1/4 cup of any two will equal the sweetness of 1 cup sugar. That's why Splenda Baking Sugar says to use 1/2 cup for 1 cup. It's Splenda mixed with sugar. You have to have the bulk that real sugar has in it for most baked goods and only 1/4 of the amount of sugar called for is for bulk the rest for sweetness. I was told this from a food inventor/scientist/ who works in a New Jersey lab for food manufacturing companies. I thought it was interesting.

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:12 pm

I tried Splenda and it gave me the squirts, I would like to find a good alternative, Amie

needlenoise

Post by needlenoise » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:16 pm

Well! We are obviously getting very comfortable with each other! Amie your comment is a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Chit Chat”