Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

New here

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
QuiltLady57

Re: New here

Post by QuiltLady57 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:26 am

Hi New2,

You'll love it here. We have a large wealth of knowledge between all of us. Never be afraid of asking a question, it's how all of us learned. Count your blessings that you are new to quilting with all the wonderful gadgets and gizmos we have. When I began quilting 20 years ago (self taught) there were no rotary cutters, just templates and scissors. You should have seen me saving cereal and dog biscuit boxes just so I could make templates! Now I mainly strip piece and so love my rotary cutter!

Welcome to the group!

Carin

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon May 21, 2007 5:35 am

quiltlady I do count my blessing that I quilt now. I recently had a friend bring me all of her quilting supplies as she has not touched anything in over 15 years. When I went through it I developed a new respect for all of you that had to make all your own templates, had to add seam allowance for everything, had to cut with scissors, and read instructions that I still swear are in a language foreign to most reasonable folks. I look at the simplifications since I have started and am amazed until I look at the progress over a longer period of time.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon May 21, 2007 6:27 am

Doesn't it make you wonder what it will be like 20 yrs. down the road?

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon May 21, 2007 6:34 am

most definatly it is exciting to think about
i think about some of the things i or friends have done in the past that we were told were no no's only to later see a book on it or read an article in a magazine about someone doing the same thing who did not accept no no
I dont any more

quilt_florida

Post by quilt_florida » Mon May 21, 2007 6:41 am

Is it just me, or do you all turn your nose up at the quilts (labeled "hand-made") in the department stores.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon May 21, 2007 8:37 am

Q-F - it's not just you. The hand quilting on those is awful, the fabric quality is less than average. There is no way to make a quilt with quality fabric for $24.95. I have visions in my head of young women in sweat shops in China or somewhere hand quilting for a dime a day or a half dollar a quilt. You bet I turn my nose up.

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 am

Oh, yes, if ever there was a time to turn up one's nose, those "hand stitched" quilts are the time. The sweat shop vision comes to me, as well, when I see them. I was given one a few years ago. The stitching is not good, the fabric was thin and chintzy and it is pretty ragged already. It was used for a bedspread - never any real stress put on it. I don't want to put little ol' asian ladies out of work but I hate the thought of the conditions they work in.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Mon May 21, 2007 8:58 am

Bought one once, never again. The seams are coming apart, and it's the worst quality fabric (if you can classify it as fabric) I have ever seen. Not good when you are actually using the quilt!

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Mon May 21, 2007 8:29 pm

Welcome aboard Colorado Lady:

Parker has a quilt shop...High Prairie Quilts and they can tell you about the 2 quilds, that I have heard about.

Of course, not to be missed while In Denver, is The Great American Quilt Factory. It is off 1-25 and take Hamden exit. If you are coming in from the north, turn left at the light and if coming in from the south, take Hamden exit. to the right.

I am from SD, haven't been to Quilt Factory for awhile. You have a wealth of quilt shops in Colorado. Anyway, my daughter and her family live in Parker.

Happy Quilting!!

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Tue May 22, 2007 5:21 am

New2quilts,
Welcome to the forum glad to see another Colorado participant. What part of Colorado are you in? I am a native and have been to many of the quilt shops in the state. There are two shop hops comming up soon. The first one is from Pueblo to Castle Rock, covering 8 shops, this one is in June. The second one is the first weekend in August, covering 14 shops in the metro Denver area. If you are out of the Denver area there are several other shop hops scheduled. It is a great way to visit the shops and find the ones you like in your area.

The list that Evie gave you for the guilds is just about all that there is, the only one I can think of not listed is the firefighters quilt guild. They meet twice monthly and make quilts for the rescue units to use in emergency's.

Return to “Chit Chat”