Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Are you new to the Forum?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
BarbieJean

Re: Are you new to the Forum?

Post by BarbieJean » Sun May 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Quiltartist2, Welcome to the site. Hope to hear a lot from you. The ladies and gentleman on here are wonderful, thoughtful and chatty. We have a great time learning and sharing with each other. Weelcome aboard.

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Sun May 20, 2007 5:32 pm

Holon,
I have a Gammill Classic Plus. I love it. The only other machine I would consider would be the A-1. Not a pretty machine but it sure does run nicely. I do believe it's a bit less expensive than the Gammills. I am in an area that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a longarmer - we are oversaturated with long armers. Oh, well.

Nancy

Holon

Post by Holon » Sun May 20, 2007 5:56 pm

qltsbme,

I am going to get the A-1 when I have raised all the $$$$$ I need for it. I cant wait!

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Sun May 20, 2007 7:45 pm

ROFL Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Longarmer! LOL OMG Nancy I have never heard that one! LOL That is hysterical. Wish to goodness you were closer to me.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon May 21, 2007 4:33 am

Herta when I teach my begining quilting class I have the students cut a 4 7/8" square then I have them cut it in half and sew to opposite fabric when the open it they have a 4 1/2" block. I wish you were closer I would be happy to help you out. please email with any other questions
hope this helps

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:36 am

Hi Gardenquilter....boy was I off. Where in the heck did I go wrong? I know 7/8" comes into play somewhere, and I guess I thought you had to add 7/8". Thank you for giving the right directions to Herta. I probably just confused her even more. I had looked at a book called "The Quilter's Pocket Reference" and for some reason came up with 5-3/8". I think I was supposed to add 7/8" to the finished size of the square instead of to the 4-1/2". Is that correct?

Sorry Herta!!

ipquilter

Post by ipquilter » Tue May 22, 2007 1:25 am

Hi Folks! I just joined a week or so ago-heard about this at the Quilt Show web site. I live in south Missisippi and have been quilting for about 5 or 6 years. I learned how to get started from watching Simply Quilts, then magazines and library books. I'm married with three sons-17, 19, and 20. The college boys just came home for the summer and the youngest will be a senior in high school. I've made about 20 quilts. My current project is a very large bargello that I've been working on for almost two years. It'll look awesome if I ever get it finished! This seems to be a pretty cool place to hang out.
Sherry

gooseegg

Post by gooseegg » Tue May 22, 2007 1:39 am

Welcome ipquilter!! So glad that you joined us. This is a wonderful place to be. Everyone is great...we do swaps, stocking for the "guys" in Iraq, share recipes, bond!!! I have no sisters by blood, but feel that I have a full house here! We share quilting stories, give advice, ask for advice, get competitive, right girls, and have a great time. Glad that you're here, I know you'll be glad, too. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Again, WELCOME!

Bess

cozyquilt

Post by cozyquilt » Tue May 22, 2007 2:06 am

Hey jtyree!!! I am also from Fenton, MI. I wonder if we know each other.... : -))

I just joined the forum about 2 weeks ago. I love to quilt (and also to embroidery, and all the other kinds of sewing too). I started quilting about 10 years ago. The biggest project that I have made (about 4 years ago) happens to be El's Quilt in a Day, Log Cabin quilt which I made for my daughter and her new hubby when they got married. It was between a queen and a king size. I have made wall hangings, jackets, lap throws and baby quilts. I made my hubby a John Deere throw. It ended up being the size of a twin quilt. I have 3 children, 6 grandchildren from my children and 6 from my husbands kids plus 1 step granddaughter. they range from 2 to 18. What a joy they are!

I am still learning to get around this site. It is probably very easy but I still feel a little confused. I'll get it though. :-)

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:06 am

ipquilter & cozymom, We are so glad you joined us here. Welcome and just make yourselves at home. If you do have any questions at all, feel free to ask. Surely someone will have an answer for you. Or we will find an answer. Join any or all conversations & discussions. If you are interested in joining a great swap of blocks, look at the topic Autograph Blocks. We could sure use 4 more to join. And you will end up with a wonderful group of 38 blocks signed by the ones participating, for a quilt from your new Quilting Sisters here. Go have a look at GeorgiaPeaches topic about this. She is a wonderful gal to coordinate this. We like to tease her unmercifully and give her heck at times but we do love her so. lol Please join the swap?

Return to “Chit Chat”