Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Are you new to the Forum?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
ollie1shoe

Re: Are you new to the Forum?

Post by ollie1shoe » Sat May 19, 2007 4:18 pm

i forgot to mention i am a self taught quilter also because there is no quilting classes in our rural area sure wish there was there is one quilt shop about 20 miles from here but all they do is fabric mostly they keep saying they will be having some classes soon but that was over a year ago and nothing yet??? so i just stay glued to the tv and the recorded program from qiad and simply quilts and fons and porter i have quite a library of these programs and i have learned a lot but so eager to learn more i guess thats why i feel like i found a gold mine when i joined this forum thanks for ALL the help ollie1shoe

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat May 19, 2007 4:30 pm

QF - I think the snobs forget that they were beginners at one time, too, and they definitely think their way is the best way - period. I just don't know what's up with that but it made me never want to take a class again. I don't know how the other ladies felt - didn't get to know any of them. It was weird, I thought.

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Sat May 19, 2007 4:47 pm

Welcome all of you New Members. Glad to have you amongst us.

There are a few ladies that work # the LQS here that are very unfriendly and snobs. It makes me upset that they act so high and mighty just because they work at a quilt shop. As Cindyg said, they were beginners at one time and I am sure they were not perfect. It is not nice of me at all, but I get a real pleasure of flustering them if they act that way with me. Before I leave, they have had to face the fact that they are no better than me or anyone else & actually they are working to HELP ME rather than it be the other way around. SO don't let them get to you. Or act snobbish & get away with it.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat May 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Cathy, I did fluster one not too long ago. I took a quilting magazine into the shop. I wanted to make the pattern but change the fabrics completely. I picked out my fabrics (football fabric for my nephew)and took them to the cutting table and there was a snooty lady there to cut my fabric. I show her the picture and I'm telling her that I wanted these blue triangles to be this green so I need this much and I want to fussy cut this out of the football fabric, etc etc. She'd look at me, look at the picture, look at the fabrics. She finally said, "you just tell me how much to cut of each and I'll do it." While she was cutting I was telling her that I'm not an artist and I'm not very creative because I have to go by a pattern. She said to me, "Honey, I've been quilting for ??? years and I can't do what you just did. I see a pattern I like and I have to make it in those colors because I can't see it any other way in my mind. What you did takes creativity." She went from snooty to sweet in less than 5 minutes. I still don't think I'm creative just because I change the colors/fabrics of a pattern I like - I see it as not wanting a quilt that looks like every body else's. Ha ha ha

HERTA

Post by HERTA » Sun May 20, 2007 12:49 am

You Ladies (quilt sisters) are a wonderful group, Cindyg, thank you for your kind words, I will definitely try this, and right here I have my first question, please bear with me, sometimes I cant find the right words to explain things I want to say, that's the German in me :-) even though I have been in this wonderful Country for 40 Years, sometimes it is still hard for me to express what I want to say, well here it goes,
I would love to make a square with triangles and squares, I found this very easy pattern, red white and blue, it calls for me to cut ALL pieces "4 1/2, after I put red and blue right sides together, marked a pen line from corner to corner and sewed "1/4 on both sides of this line, and cut it apart now I have 2 squares, both red and blue yes, I do understand this, but now I want to sew the white square, this one I do not want cut apart because it is a corner square to the red and blue square, of course now the white square is to big because it has not been cut or sewn, did I miss anything here, I get so frustrated when I here all you sisters talk of what you have made, and how proud you all are of the beautiful work you do, please someone HELP me :-(
thank you for having me in your group. Herta

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sun May 20, 2007 6:35 am

Herta, I don't know for sure but it does sound like you missed something. Try going back to the pattern and read it one line at a time and make sure you didn't leave out a step along the way. What pattern are you making or what is the name of the block? We will try to help you. You can do this - please don't get frustrated. Take your time - all of a sudden a light bulb will go off in your head and you'll be on your way!

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Sun May 20, 2007 8:16 am

Herta...could you possibly have cut the red and blue squares too small? Sounds like they are half square triangles. If that is the case I think you need to add 7/8" to the red and blue squares making them 5-3/8" square. Read your cutting directions again and see what size you are to cut the red and blue squares.

Am I on the right track guys....sure don't want to make things worse if I'm wrong.

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Sun May 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Ollie1shoe, It drives me nuts that so many of you quilters don't have access to classes and such. Some of us have an overabundance of quilt teachers and/or longarmers. I am a longarmer and I LOVE to teach quilt classes - I'd come running to teach some for you if you were closer. sigh

Nancy in Minnesewta

Holon

Post by Holon » Sun May 20, 2007 1:59 pm

qltsbme,

Thats awsome! what kind of LA do you have? I am saving every penny to have one. We dont have any around here I have never gotten to try one but I know I will LOVE IT! It might take a few years before I get one but I will.

quiltartist2

Post by quiltartist2 » Sun May 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Good Evening All,
I am so pleased to see this website. I am an avid quilter who finds there is not enough time in the day to work on all the projects I would like to make.

There are so many areas of quilting I would love to learn about. Who ever said "learning can be fun" is right!

Hope to talk with you all soon. God Bless.

Return to “Chit Chat”