Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Are you new to the Forum?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
qltsbme

Re: Are you new to the Forum?

Post by qltsbme » Fri May 18, 2007 3:18 am

Jaybee,
I haven't used Wonderunder for years because I discovered Steam a Seam II. It works ever so much better. You might want to give it a try.

Nancy in Minnesewta

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Fri May 18, 2007 3:24 am

herta your invitaiton sounds wonderful one suggestion have you checked into beginning classes at your local quilt shops. most of them have a class and as marvelous as dvd's by eleanor are it is also great to have someone right there in front of you. I have taught beginning quilting classes and the girls always had tons of questions and it was wonderful to help them with hands on. Now most of my teaching is one on one and more children than adults.

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Fri May 18, 2007 7:12 am

Herta I wish we lived closer to each other. I think we would have a wonderful time working on quilts. Do NOT give up Sister! Call a Quilt Shop near you and ask about classes for beginners. They will help you understand it so much better than a book. DVD's are the next best thing to an actual class. Even if you have to watch it over & over & over again. Nothing wrong with that. And come in here and ask all of the questions you want to ask. Surely someone would be able to help with answers. Again, Do Not Give Up! Not a choice. You will get the hang of it. Just keep on keeping on. LOL

HUGS
Cathy

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri May 18, 2007 7:47 am

Herta - if you have made a small Morning Star quilt and a table runner then you can make a quilt. I'm a self-taught quilter. Here's what I do: make yourself a copy of the instructions. Do them one sentence at a time and keep looking at your fabric, rulers, whatever. Read the sentence, look at your stuff and do that step. When you've got that down pat then use a highlighter and mark thru that sentence/step and go on to the next one. Sentence by sentence and do things step by step. I have to use a highlighter to mark thru the steps I've done because I have lost my place before and got out of step and cut the wrong squares into triangles. I learned my lesson. Reading a whole set of instructions at once can be overwhelming but taking it step by step is so much less intimidating. You might start with a very simple pattern like Rail Fence or Log Cabin. Good luck and please keep us posted with your progress.

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:04 am

Very Very good Cindyg. Have you taught before? I am also self taught. Probably need classes but I never have the time they are offered. Or something pops up at that time that cannot be put off ie; sickness or something. Just wanted to tell you that I like the way you explained it.

HUGS
Cathy

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri May 18, 2007 9:00 am

Cathy - no, I have never taught before. I'm not nearly qualified!!! I did take one hand-quilting class and I enjoyed the learning but not the people. They were a bit uppity (students included) and insinuated that quilting on a sewing machine or having your quilts done by a LA quilter just isn't nearly as good as hand quilting your quilts. Well, la-ti-da!!! If I had the time I might hand quilt a quilt once in a while. But I certainly don't think one is superior over the other. Anyway, that was the first and last time I took a class. I just use the books, as I stated, and I always make a different quilt pattern so I learn something new with each quilt. I'm satisfied with that - I enjoy it.

quilter916

Post by quilter916 » Fri May 18, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm a new quilter, just received quilt in a day log cabin pattern book and have my fabric ready to start cutting. I work at JoAnn's Fabric store in Scottsdale AZ. but have never made a quilt before so am looking forward to my first project.

Suzi

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Sat May 19, 2007 6:18 am

Good morning...I am fairly new to the community. Have made a few posts, but never have introduced myself. I have been quilting for about 12 years. I never knew how little I knew about something, and I keep learning new things every day. I live on a ranch in Southwest South Dakota. We raise sheep, but only about 100 head now. We are semi-retired, but then you never really retire on a ranch. We have 2 grown sons, one daughter-in-law and 2 beautiful grandchildren; 4 dogs, 1 horse and 2 canaries. I purchased an APQS longarm last year and joined that chat room. But I really missed discussing all the other aspects of quilting. My heart is in the piecing. Found out that I really don't want to longarm for a business. Two many of my longarm friends never get a chance to work on their own projects. But I love doing it and being able to finish my own quilts. Hope you all have a great weekend.

quilt_florida

Post by quilt_florida » Sat May 19, 2007 2:53 pm

Welcome new people. Glad to see you!! (so to speak)

cindyg, I'm a self-taught quilter too. I took a hand applique class at the end of 2006. I too noticed that the people were uppity. What's up with that?? And even in some of the quilt shops, I've noticed some quilting snobs. Quiltpiggy notices it too!! What's wrong with these people? It's quilting, not runway modeling!!!

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Sat May 19, 2007 3:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been hanging around for a little while, made a few posts, but like so many others haven't yet introduced myself. I hail from the Colorado mountains, both hubby and I are retired due to disabilities. We have two grown married sons, 5 grandchildren now, and a too cute 12 year old Spaniel Mix that thinks she's a human with an only child personality.

I started dabbling in quilting a few years back, starting with photo transfer quilts. Once I started taking a local quilting class I got hooked and haven't looked back since. Then, once I started becoming familiar with El's teaching style, products and books, well.. let's just say quilting has become a higher priority than buying groceries sometimes, LOL.

I have two lap quilts in progress for DH, one BOM quilt with my class here locally and recently enrolled in my first online quilting course with another project. Whew! Good thing I don't work anymore, or have kids at home.. ha ha.

So far, I've enjoyed many, many posts, have received great help for my own questions as well as learning many things through other's posting. What a great group here! I'm hanging around! Welcome to all the other new folks, too.

Return to “Chit Chat”