Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Hard time following a pattern

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
zfatcat

Hard time following a pattern

Post by zfatcat » Thu May 03, 2007 9:10 am

How many of you start out with a pattern and then change it along the way? I start out with good intentions of making a particular pattern and part way through I change it. I have followed through with some patterns, but mainly I think it would be better my. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it's not such a good idea. Anyone else do this?
Lori 8-)

gardenquilter

Re: Hard time following a pattern

Post by gardenquilter » Thu May 03, 2007 9:21 am

ME!!!!!!! People laugh at me because I can never follow instructions all the way through. I start with a pattern and then will change it. If it is one I designed I will change it the second time through and when someone has me make one just like it is murder.
I can't even follow a recipe, or assembly directions, I always have parts left over. Some how some way it always works out dumb luck I guess

quiltingranny

Post by quiltingranny » Thu May 03, 2007 12:29 pm

That show a lot of creativity. Maybe, just maybe you two should get together and write a book with your own pattern designs... Bet it would be great I'd buy it QG

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu May 03, 2007 12:30 pm

Thanks, quiltingranny.
Lori 8-)

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Thu May 03, 2007 12:51 pm

I'm way to chicken to try to change patterns. One time I decided to reverse my colors on a Dresden Plate Quilt. I used a floral for the background and a "read as solid" for the plates. It was awful, you couldn't even tell what pattern it was.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu May 03, 2007 2:07 pm

I follow the pattern instructions exactly.....except for the colors. I always change the colors. For my Egg Money BOM I got burgundy instead of red and a lavendar instead of blue. One of these days I'll make a QIAD quilt and use El's fabric line. Sometimes I add an additional small border or change the border in some way.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu May 03, 2007 2:09 pm

Ummm, I've charted out my own patterns. I'm almost scared to let anyone know that!

DH bought me a big pad of graph paper and that's what I use. I would love to have a plotter printer and be able to print out using a CAD program! (EQ would be too easy, I guess!)

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu May 03, 2007 2:24 pm

OMG if I had EQ I'd NEVER be in my sewing room getting any quilting done. I'd either be here or on EQ. It's probably just as addicting as this forum - LOL

CoyoteQuilts

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Thu May 03, 2007 7:45 pm

I always have a pattern floating around in my head. I figure it out before I start buying/gathering fabric. About half the time I too plot out my design on graph paper. This last one I plotted was inspired by the Chase bank charge card commercial on TV. I am doing it in blacks & whites. I guess the best way I can describe it is, The fabric talks to me. How about anybody else?

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Thu May 03, 2007 8:08 pm

Coyote Quilts-I'd love to see that quilt pattern as I work for Chase Bank!
I like to draft patterns out on quadrille paper-and then use colored pencils to play around
with color. It's alot easier to make mistakes on paper than to cut and sew a quilt-only to
discover something is "not quite right".

Return to “Chit Chat”