Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Knee replacements done at the same time

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Pilot2b

Knee replacements done at the same time

Post by Pilot2b » Wed May 02, 2007 6:56 pm

F Y I

All I can say is don't have them both done at once! This is what I wanted to do when I had first one done in Summer of 1998. Dr. advised against it, and am I glad he was honest with me. The recovery period is time comsuming and it was at least a year or longer before there was no pain or discomfort.

Had the second one done in 2002. I didn't want anyone around me, either times. Actually, I didn't have a care giver.

Helen

xteacher

Re: Knee replacements done at the same time

Post by xteacher » Wed May 02, 2007 7:00 pm

I have a really good friend who had bilateral (both) knees replaced just this morning in St. Louis. I have tried to discourage it, but her doctor seemed to be in favor of it, so she went ahead.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Wed May 02, 2007 7:40 pm

Dear Pilot,
You have been through so much! My heart aches for you. I am proud of you for being so strong and brave through all of your trials.

Blessings on you,
Linda

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu May 03, 2007 12:43 am

Pilot, DH is having one done on Sept. 25th, the other done on Oct. 2nd. I think it's because they want some time inbetween (who knows, it's the VA!)

When are you flying over this way?? It should only take an hour or so, I think!

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Thu May 03, 2007 2:20 am

Welcome xteacher! It is always great to see new postings. I have had 3 knees done. Now you figure that one out. Really, one at a time was done. I feel little pain ever, but I keep moving. I do try to walk a mile a day. I keep active, and this helps. I can't just sit or I would be stiff. I pump some iron each day also. The second time I had to have a replacement from a car accident. But, over all everything is going good now. I just played too many sports when I was younger. Keep positive, keep your self going ahead, keep goals before you in life, and keep a "happy" disposition.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Thu May 03, 2007 9:50 pm

xteacher: How is your friend in St. Louis doing? Is she at Barnes? I worked at Barnes, 5th floor Queeny Tower for 3 neuro-psychiatrists, when I lived there, I know it is probably too soon to tell. But tell her this xteacher(ret.6/05) sends her prayers for a speedy recovery.

I remember when I went back to school after surg., had surg. during summer break, I would find myself in tears I hurt so bad. Our school was huge, so I was able to get a motorized wheel chair, as I have no strength in my hands due to fibromyagia and arthritis, oh yes, must not leave out bursitis....ha. Don't take meds for any of them anymore.
Also the therapists can become too agressive in physical therapy and I had to get firm with them. I knew what I had to do. But, I wasn't going kill myself doing it. The "no pain, no gain crap" was used on me and I told them I wasn't an idiot, but I knew my limits. They would lady come into my room and apologize. Then with the second knee, a lady would come into my room and ask me what my goals were. Don't think she liked my answers. A volunteer would come into my room at 6AM everyday, turn on all the lights open the curtains on the bid window, and tell me to get out of bed, so sheets cold be changed and I could clean up before breakfast...8:30. Finally I told my Dr. I was leaving the hosp, so I could get some rest and hoped it wasn't against AMA orders...because I was about to say something to that volunteer that would not have been very nice. I am a model patient, however, this time the nurses were grumpy, there were a couple of really nice ones. It all boiled down to the hospital being understaffed. This has been retified. I know, I am such a pain in the patoot. HA

xteacher

Post by xteacher » Fri May 04, 2007 5:09 pm

I haven't heard from my friend since her mother called Wednesday after surgery. At that time she was in recovery and doing well. I haven't wanted to bother them, as they said they would keep me informed. I expect a call tomorrow. She is at St. Anthony's for five days, then to some rehab place for five more. If all goes well, she will be a week from tomorrow.

quilterliz

Post by quilterliz » Fri May 04, 2007 5:15 pm

I need one done, but I am too young. I had a cortisone injection and that lasted about a week. I am an athletic trainer and have done rehabilitation for many total knee patients. I know it is agressive in therapy, but if you don't achieve 90 degrees of bend in the first 2 months, you won't get it. Hang in there and use ice several times a day for 20 minutes and I promise, the pain will go down a bunch!

dragonfly917

Post by dragonfly917 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:19 pm

For those of you (or your loved ones) facing knee replacements:

Today the speaker at our Rotary club was a surgeon who just came to our town about 7 months ago after selling his practice up north. His specialty is knee replacements and he told us about the advancements in total and partial replacements.

With partials, most people are able to go home the same day. Totals require a couple of days in the hospital but he said it is not uncommon to experience almost NO pain afterwards. It was a very interesting presentation.

He also said the only three reasons to have surgery is pain, pain, and pain! If the knee replacement is due to arthritis, there are other treatments they try first.

He passed around models of knees with the metal and plastic parts. Really cool!

Also an interesting fact is that the majority of knee replacements are done on women. If you're not having problems now, he gave tips for preventing problems in the future. Try to maintain a healthy weight, exercise but don't run/jog, don't do heavy lifting (does that include our stash?!).

Now if I ever have to face a knee replacement, I won't be so freaked out!

janny49a

Post by janny49a » Fri May 04, 2007 7:26 pm

Wow, having both knees done at the same time. Praying for a quick recovery. I had both hips done but at different times.

Return to “Chit Chat”