Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

May Day

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
GrandmaChris

May Day

Post by GrandmaChris » Tue May 01, 2007 11:19 am

Happy May day to you all. This is an old tradition and we get so busy we forget to do the little things we use to. when I was young the baskets of violets and candy would be on your door step. Sign of Friendship. the grandkids brought home May Baskets from the bus today. The bus drivers remembered. The little touches are forgotten with our busy lives. The Maypole was danced around and Celebrations of the summer to come were celebrated. Hope you all have A Happy Mayday.

Tiggersmom

Re: May Day

Post by Tiggersmom » Tue May 01, 2007 11:39 am

Thanks grandmachris!
I remember making paper flower baskets in school, many, many years ago but the rest of the things you mentioned we never did. It has always been just another day but I think I will go call my bestest friend!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue May 01, 2007 11:45 am

All I remember is the May Pole - probably because it had something to do with dancing.

GrandmaChris

Post by GrandmaChris » Tue May 01, 2007 12:14 pm

My Father was born in a small town in Illinois called Hooppole, Illinois. It was named that for the hoops for the skirts they made and the pole part was for the Maypoles they made for small town celebrations. The town still has a big celebration every May 1st. In the 70's it had more horses in town than people, but it still carries on the tradition.

GrandmaChris

Post by GrandmaChris » Tue May 01, 2007 12:16 pm

I remember getting the Wallpaper books from the paint stores to use to make the baskets out of. My Uncle had a paint store and the outdated ones he would save for crafts for scouts and Mayday. The colorful paper made pretty baskets .

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue May 01, 2007 12:17 pm

When I was a child, the neighbor lady who was elderly told me about May day. She said you would leave paper baskets of flowers on people doors. Would that be a nice surprise to walk out you front door and have flowers there for you.
Lori 8-)

kittymom

Post by kittymom » Tue May 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Hallmark used to make boxes of 'make your own' May day baskets. They were fancy and even had paper doilies for a lacey touch.

I still hang a few May Day baskets and one friend always leaves a pot of pansies on our front step every May Day. We used to put candy and flowers in the baskets. Now I buy a flat of pansies or something in blossom and stuff them into the baskets. It's still fun.

Rose92

Post by Rose92 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:09 pm

In elementary school we had one of the older generation principals named Miss Findley (we called her Miss Finbag) and we had to learn to do the May Pole Dance for May Day. Well, you know boys hate dancing with girls at that age, but were forced to. But boys will be boys and my partner would always find a reason to stomp on my foot. I liked watching all the ribbons wind around the May Pole. Finally in the 6th grade a male principal came along and May Day was transformed into Play Day with track events. The boys were much happier.

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:11 pm

All I remember usa doing was making beautiful baskets wiht flowers in school and of course the maypole. Sounds like a neat way to celebrate Grandma Chris. We need to do more of this I think.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Tue May 01, 2007 7:09 pm

When I was in elementary school we always had May Day. Each Class would practice for weeks and parents were invited to the presentation. It was fun to learn the dance and feel a part of your class as we did the dance. I remember dancing to Steve Allen's "Gravy Waltz"

Such fun memories!

Return to “Chit Chat”