Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

OT - Need Advice for Packaging HomeMade Goodies for Mailing

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
lacw

Re: OT - Need Advice for Packaging HomeMade Goodies for Mailing

Post by lacw » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:02 pm

Gmaann, Hope you are sharing your recipe for your Oatmeal Raisin Cookies in the QIAD cookbook !
Loralee

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:10 pm

LOL!!! Glad I could bring a grin to y'all's faces!

Evie - that trip, with the time difference, probably had something to do with the wind - had a tailwind going there, and fighting a headwind all the way back. Or it could be you just didn't drive as fast because every mile took you further from your boy - I'm thinking that's what it was.

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:43 pm

During the Viet Nam war, we sent gum & hard candy along with the cookies and treats. Sucking the air out of a ziplock with a straw works wonderful.

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:43 pm

Evie my dh was in vietnam and it didn't matter what condition the goodies arrived in! Many times he was out in the field and the guys already had opened his package and had their pick b4 he got to see he even had a package....lol......his parents spoiled his really good as they sent a coffee can filled about every other week.

It's the thought that counts more than anything.

When my oldest was in the Marines I sent him some pistachios because they were on sale and he was wowndering why I did that {I didn't know he didn't like them! We could never afford them when he lived at home] But not all was lost, he sold them to one of the other guys!!! LOL

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Tue May 01, 2007 12:54 am

I send cookies to Iraq in a foodsaver bag then place them in the plastic coffee cans. They are lightweight and keep things from crushing. Drew asked me to send excedrin (They don't have good headache meds at the PX he said) Those floss thingys with the plastic handles, silly string (they use it to detect invisible trip wires) and chicken cup o noodles. I dont ask, I just send!

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Tue May 01, 2007 2:28 am

I've heard that silly string needs special handling due to it being in an arosol (sp?). I think I remember someone was gathering them up and shipping them with a private carrier with other supplies going to Iraq/Afghanistan, for the same purpose. The silly string is light enough that they can see any trip wires in front of them, without breaking them and setting off the explosive.

DH was in Vietnam, and I know he would have appreciated any and all packages!

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Tue May 01, 2007 2:45 am

My son just returned from Afghanistan and he sure used to look forward to anything received from home. I used to send Rice Krispy treats, as I could wrap them individually and they traveled quite well. Yeah, for our Troops.

Return to “Chit Chat”