Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

OT - Need Advice for Packaging HomeMade Goodies for Mailing

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Evie

OT - Need Advice for Packaging HomeMade Goodies for Mailing

Post by Evie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:15 am

My oldest is at Fort Bragg and has asked me to make some homemade goodies. He warned me that for every box of homemade goodies that come in the mail, there's at least 10 to 15 soldiers pouncing on that box. So, in other words, he has to share. All goodies have to be eaten before they are dismissed from mail call. I guess they are not allowed to store food in the barracks.

I talked to a lady at the post office. She gave me a box and said I could fill it up. If it didn't go over a certain weight, it would be a flat fee of $8.10. She also said there wasn't any restriction on food items being sent to Fort Bragg.

I already know I'm going to be making brownies and pistachio cup cakes. But what I'm wondering about is how to keep them fresh. Does anyone have any recommendations? She told me it would take about 2 days to get there. But I imagine another day or two after it hits post before my son gets it.

Also, for future mailings, if you have any recipes you want to share that ship well, please share with my. Who knows, it might be a friend or relative of yours that gets to share the goodie box!

CindyB

Re: OT - Need Advice for Packaging HomeMade Goodies for Mailing

Post by CindyB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:29 am

I would put them in ziplock bags. Even better, if you have one of those machines that sucks the air out of the bag, even better (I don't have that - I suck on the almost closed ziploc bag - but only if it's being used at home!)

Can he receive packages from other people? I'd be glad to whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookie bars and send them!

gooseegg

Post by gooseegg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:42 am

When my brothers were in the service, we used to pack the goodies in a coffee can----it's light weight and sturdy enough so the contents don't get smushed.

Bess

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:34 am

I make a pretty mean oatmeal raisin cookie and would be glad to send some. Wouldn't it be a hoot if we all sent something - timed to arrive the same day, if possible - they'd be at roll call all day!!

quilterliz

Post by quilterliz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:38 am

Bar cookies pack best, because you can stack them closely. Wrap tightly with cling wrap. Fudge works, peanut brittle, rock candy, and banana bread will pack well. Good luck, he will love it !

dforseth

Post by dforseth » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:42 am

I have sent cookies in clean styofoam cups from fast food places. The cookies fit inside just right. I sent a lot of things when my son was in Kuwait. I always put them in a zip lock baggie also to help with freshness and for storage, if any is left.

Debbie
Debbie Forseth
:D

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:57 am

OMG CindyB LOL LOL I never thought of sucking the Ziplocs before. It's a good idea. Thanks.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:07 pm

Glad I can provide a chuckle!!!

Evie - seriously, send us is address and we'll get packages out so fast that he'll be crying "uncle"!

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:25 pm

Evie, just make sure you get all the air out of the ziploc bag. That should keep the goodies fresh. I use a straw and suck the excess air ut. I use that $8.10 box to send goodies to my son stationed in Korea and my girlfriend stationed in Iraq. It's a really great deal. What branch of service is your son in and how long has he been in?
Lori 8-)

Evie

Post by Evie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Thank you for all your ideas. CindyB and gmaann, I will private message you.

That is funny about sucking the air out! ROFLOL!

My son is in the Army Reserves. He graduated from basic at Fort Benning, Georgia, on March 15th and my DH and I were able to drive over there for the graduation. For some reason it only took 12 hours to drive there but 14 to drive back. We made allowances for the time change too. I guess we were just tired on the way back. He will graduate from advanced individual training (AIT) on June 14th at Fort Bragg. He will come home then and they will tell him when he has Airborne training. Hopefully he will get all his training done so he can go back to college in August and finish up his last semester so he can graduate. It's in his contract that he has to be at his army reserve post for six months before he can be deployed.

I remember when my oldest brother was in Vietnam. One of my cousins sent him a goodie box but it must have traveled around the world a couple of times before getting to him. He said he opened it up in the barracks, then they had to air the barracks out. He didn't tell her for a long time about that.

I'm going to get up real early one morning and bake, then when it all cools down, pack it then make the trip to the post office. I'm thinking ziplock bags for the mini-cupcakes (using the straw method) and press n seal for the brownies. Those Styrofoam cups sound good for cookies. I'll have to remember that. I'm not sure they allow coffee cans anymore. Can they x-ray through them?

Thanks again ladies.
I dread the time when my son will want goodies sent to him in far away places. :^(

Return to “Chit Chat”