Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

crazy quilts

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
gardenquilter

crazy quilts

Post by gardenquilter » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:58 am

I have never made one, they really were not my taste, I saw one recently that had so many wonderful embellishemnts and fabrics types I knew I just have to make one. I'm thinking a wall hanging to start with and want a very victorian look. I don't have a pattern and am not always great at following instructions any way. So how do I start. I keep trying to draw it out and the attack as if paper piecing, I am just not sure how large the blocks should be and if there is a rule about how many pieces per block. Before I reinvent the wheel completly do you have suggestions, hints and so forth

Evie

Re: crazy quilts

Post by Evie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:06 am

I took a stack and wack class one time. We took 9 12" squares of fabric and stacked them evenly. Took a ruler and a rotary cutter and held the ruler very tightly and made a slight diagonal cut through all the fabric. Took just the top one layer of fabric on the right, and placed it under the stack on the right. Then sat down at the sewing machine and sewed all those blocks together.

Keeping them in the same order, stack them again. Cut one line through all the fabric. This time you can place the line anywhere you want, even cutting across the previously sewn line. This time take two layers off the top on the right and place them on the bottom. Sew the blocks together again. Keep this up until you think you got it looking scrappy/crazy enough.

Look at all the blocks and determine which is the smallest and square it up, then square up all the other blocks to that size.

You can now use all those fancy stitches that come with your sewing machine. Be creative, change thread color, etc. You can sew all the blocks together with or without sashing.

I hope my instructions are clear. If not, maybe someone can come up with a better explanation.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue May 01, 2007 1:44 pm

thanks did you use all the same type of fabric or did you mix and match like velvet, cotton, etc

Evie

Post by Evie » Tue May 01, 2007 1:51 pm

I used all the same type of fabric (cotton), but I but you could mix it. The only thing I would be afraid of is the velvet shifting when you're trying to cut it. Maybe fusible interfacing on the velvet? I think an all velvet would be very pretty. You could also insert some lace when you are sewing seams together.

Eleanor has demonstrated how to put ribbon in the bobbin and sew with the block upside down and the ribbon would look very pretty. You would use some of your fancy stitches for that. You would also have to wind the bobbin by hand to keep the ribbon smooth and straight. You also wouldn't be able to get very much on at a time. Doesn't Eleanor have an example of this in her book Quilt Through The Seasons, the month of February where she makes the crazy heart block? I haven't tried this myself, but some day I will!

quilt_florida

Post by quilt_florida » Tue May 01, 2007 2:22 pm

I used to say that crazy quilts were the ugliest things I'd ever seen. Then I saw one (like you) that I thought was really pretty. So now it's on my list of things to (someday) make. Funny how things like that happen. :)

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Tue May 01, 2007 7:10 pm

Do a sample block first. They are easy. Let's say you are going to make 8" blocks. Get a foundation fabric, I use a good quality muslin, or any piece and contine on. On the first piece, lay fabric opposite side facing you and fill in a corner. Flip over, finger press or what ever way you are comfortable with. The second piece, goes next to first piece, opposite up when sewing. Flip and press.

Hope this helps. Quilters cache has free patterns and perhaps she has one. Sure you will get other good hints from the gals or guys.

Holon

Post by Holon » Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 pm

Heres how I do it,,,,

I use foundation muslin and cut whatever size squars I want and than find a piece of fabric and cut 5 sides on it, also any shape. I lay it in the center of my block and just keep adding fabric to it in a circle manor almost like paper piecing. Untill the muslin square is all filled. Than I sew 1/8 og a seam around the whole blick to Keep all the fabric in place!

Evie

Post by Evie » Wed May 02, 2007 5:29 am

Just came across this website for the method I described:

kcprojectlinus.home.att.net/_stackslash.html

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Wed May 02, 2007 5:39 am

I made a double bed sized crazy quilt for DD#1 a few years ago. I used muslin as a foundation and did it like Holon described. I used all types of fabrics and did some decorative stitches on the seams but not on all of them. I did a bit of hand embroidery of different designs on some of the larger pieces. She lived in a cold climate area so along with the batting I with plaid flannel to make it nice and warm. I made the back quite a bit larger than the top and washed the flannel (because of shrinkage) a couple of times before basting it all together. I did use a good quality flannel, so it was very soft and warm when finished.

Return to “Chit Chat”