Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Jan 3rd, 2024

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Jan 3rd, 2024

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:03 am

Good rainy morning,

Yesterday we were being chased by a storm but looks like it found us. It's raining pretty hard, though it's supposed to start letting up in the next couple of hours, so we're going for a late start this morning and let traffic and rain ease up. Of course, we'll probably just catch the storm later down the road. That's how it works sometimes.

My family is still reeling over my nephew's death. But it's starting to sink in. My brother is a man of strength but this is quite a blow. He is doing OK though, all things considered. His remaining 4 kids are rallying around him. And if he needs us, my sister and I will fly up, but I think we'll do better to go visit this summer as we've already planned. It gives him something to look forward to. My family is grateful for all the thoughts and prayers. We are a family of strong faith and they mean a lot.

IRISH!! So good to see you at the table! Yes, it was sad to hear the update on Joanne. If Earl was a pearl she is a diamond. I've missed her. But good news on your sister! I'm glad you're there for each other. Now you have to stay healthy so you can ferry Kevin around for a while. And a wedding! How fun to look forward to that! At the Columbus Zoo? - I had to Google that to see where it was. Ohio? Are you planning a wedding quilt?

TINA - I hope your dad loves his new loveseat. Buying furniture can be risky. Sometimes it feels comfy in the store when you sit on it for 5 minutes, but spending an entire evening on it not so much. I don't think I ever saw my dad sit on a couch of any sort. His special chair was a wooden captain's chair set at the dining table and it was positioned so he could see out the windows on two sides of the house, keep an eye on the driveway, plus see the TV and the entire living room. You are really going to town on your closets! I love to start the new year with everything clean, purged, and neatly reorganized. I don't know where I go wrong through the year.

BECCA - I'm sorry to hear your cough and hoarseness are still hanging on. Cold wind really affects me that way, too, so I always wear ear muffs when I'm outside in that kind of weather. They make all the difference for me.

LORI - I think we'll reach our Florida destination on Friday afternoon Jan 5th. We'll be in Sebastian (near Vero Beach) on the Atlantic coast, halfway down the state. My sister and dbil, who live in Colorado and who were with us for a week in Nov in Austin, are there for the winter, staying on their friends' property in their fifth-wheel. We are invited to join them. We will be staying until Jan 14 and then start for home. We travel slowly, the better to enjoy the journey, so it will take us about 17 days to get home, possibly more - depending on our route and on the weather. Will you make the trip to Kingman in one day? If we take I-40 on our return trip, we'll be going through there later this month, though my guess is we'll be traveling our regular winter route - I-10.

CAROL - I love navy bean soup! One of these days maybe I'll get a big pot of it made. I've always loved handwork of all kinds but I can't do much of it anymore. I have arthritis in my thumbs and wrists and handwork really aggravates that. Some days I can't even pick up a glass, which is the one of the main diagnositc symptoms of this kind of arthritis. I used to enjoy spending TV evenings hand stitching down a binding. And my cats of the day LOVED it! They would jump on my lap and burrow into the quilt. :lol:

Last night we had lasagna and there is enough left for tonite, so that will be supper for us.

What is making your mouth water for tonite's supper? And now what will you be having? :D

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Jan 3rd, 2024

Post by Becca » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:18 am

Hello everyone cloudy and cold I had. To have Allergy shots Then ran to Walmart for elderberry tablets Hope they help Coughing wears you down
I agree with Tina
Maryz I try to cover my face That’s most important because of TGN
I’m thankful your family is strong That’s quite a blow to take Safe travels wherever you go
I’m on the dreaded part of stocking Sewing it together and putting in all yarn ends
Maryz My Mother suffered from Rheumatoid arthritis It’s horrible Sorry but you have probably overused them Don’t we all
Irish Glad you & DS can be there for each other A Sister is quite a Blessing
I will try to make myself finish the stocking
I put no Meal as it’s family time
Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:47 pm

Good late afternoon from a sunny but chilly, SW Pa...Looking out, it looks like spring but......Some forecasters are even predicting a few inches of snow for the weekend...My freezer is stocked so let it snow! Of course, when I talked to Kevin last night, he was hoping to get on the course ssoon.......Santa brought him a new driver and he's itching to use it so if there's no snow, he'll break it in.....

Mary, when I read about you being in Florida, I just wanted to leave for the airport...Under different circumstances, I'd be down there....Was thinking, might not make it to Wash. but I sure could meet you in the sunny state.....Oh well, next time....AND, could I talk you into changing your route home and just come north and then it would be an easy trip west...What do you think???? Would love to have you! And, almost certain there will be an Irish Chain in the works very soon...All the kids get one when they marry so can't forget Dan....We've always known, when the time came, the wedding would be at the Columbus Zoo, they just love it there.....

Becca, I sure have no new advice on the cough and know it sure does wear you down...Seemed I always had a cup of hot tea in my hand when I would be coughing...And I certainly agree about having a sister...Besides, I might be older but she's bigger than me, so I have to listen to her, lol......

Tina, I love getting new furniture but often wish, someone else would just pick it out, deliver, set it up and break it in....I've been known to pick the wrong size sofa and then have them come and take it back, much to Jim's dismay...Right now, I'm trying to decide on a TV stand and that's giving me a head ache, lol.....

Carol, I love to see the different soups you have been making....I love, love soup but am terrible at making them....Nothing better on a chilly/cold day......

Was thinking of our Joanne earlier today...I had an appointment with my cardiologist who just happens to be gorgeous and as nice as he is gorgeous...Of course my sister went with me, just so she could look at him...I sometimes think, handsome doctors should not be in the "heart" field, I know, mine sure hits a few extra beats when he walks in the room....Good news, my heart is good but 24/7 AFib is not so he's trying a new med...Wanted me back in the hospital but I talked him out if it so we'll try a new med...My sister told him, he needed to get me back to normal, she's tired of going to bingo by herself..

Have been trying to put some of the Christmas stuff away but in turn have made a mess in every room but the guest bathroom....I did sort through the Christmas fabric and the fabric closet looks fairly neat...Of course don't check under the bed or the other closets......

Not planning anything for supper since I just had a bowl of Broccoli/cheddar soup from Panera Bread......Might have some crackers and cheese later.......

You all have a great rest of the day.......

Happy eating..............

OH Mary, just thought of something! While you're in Florida, just hop on Rt. 75 south, get off at the N. Ft. Myers exit and drive up Bayshore and you'll get to see the eagle's nest and the new baby...And if you keep driving on Bayshore, you'll end up at Weaver's corner and a great quilt shop.....Love it down there.......

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:51 pm

Good Afternoon,

Maryz - I don't think the ones left behind ever truly get over such a loss. Glad to know when you will arrive is Friday afternoon.

Tina - So does your Dad like the new couch?

Becca - Hope you are feeling better.

Lori - Hope the drive to Kingman was non eventful.

Irish - I have learned something in the months of making so many soups. They all start basically the same and you can make a "starter". Two cups of onion to one cup of celery in two cups of broth. I think you could make that one cup of onion to half a cup of celery in one cup of broth and just add four cups of vegetables and one can of diced tomatoes and one tablespoon of tomato paste add more broth and your are done. (I use frozen mixed vegetables for the Garden Vegetable Soup.) It is a delicious soup, and you could freeze it in two cup containers for each serving. It would make a healthy meal.

I will be making some "starters" tomorrow to freeze in gallon zip lock bags. Dinner tonight will be Navy Bean Soup.

I am working on third side. It rained last night and has been windy this afternoon.

Carol

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:05 pm

The drive out to AZ was a breeze. It took me 5 hours door to door. That's with 3 stops along the way.

Carol, most of my soup starters are similar to that. I add carrots a lot too.

Irish, so good to see you back.

Becca, a little bit every day and you'll finish in no time.

I worked on a bit of knitting today too.

Mary, I hope the weather turned and you didn't run into it.

I'm actually up in the Hualapia mountains. 14 miles south east of Kingman. We went into Kingman today and checked out a few quilt shops, then had lunch. On our way back it was raining and turned to heavy snow. We got back before the roads up the mountain got to bad. It came down really hard right after we got home. We sat in her quilting studio and enjoyed watching it from the warm house. I bought a few things at the LQS.

Dinner was leftover sandwiches from lunch.

Sleep well my friends.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”