Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Jan 2nd

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Jan 2nd

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:11 am

Good morning,

We are in Tomball. TX, a little town on the northern outskirts of Houston. We visited with Cindy and Sue at Sue's house last night. You would love Sue's sewing room - it's the upstairs bonus room of her home. It's large enough for her 14' long arm and a huge design wall. A bedroom off the bonus room is her fabric room with a full wall of shelves that house her beautifully organized stash. A big cutting table is in the middle of the room and a work table on the wall opposite the fabric shelves. The bonus room opens out over the living rooom and entry way below with a curved staircase. The top of the stairs opens into the big sewing room and at the top of the stairs is an open landing area and it's purrfect for displaying several of her beautiful quilts. It's an amazing house. Next Monday it will be a year since she lost Kenn but she's doing OK. Her son lives 5 streets away in the same subdivision and he's a blessing to her.

We got back to our trailer just as it was starting to get dark. Fed the fur folk and settled in for the evening when I got a call. One of my nephews in AK committed suicide. His sister called me as they were on their way to tell my brother, Gene. Her other brother was hurrying to meet her there. Gene is a guy that needs space and time to process such bad news and the kids will be with him. I will wait to call him later today. My nephew's name was James Albert, after my other two brothers. He was in his 50's and very newly divorced. So I'm feeling kind of glum today. I wish we this had happened after we were in FL so I could be at least be with my sister.

TINA - I can't stay up that late any more. If they want me to be cheering a new year they need to have midnight more like 9pm. You know, like they do with Midnight Mass now. :lol: Your dinner sounds like you are celebrating St. Pat's day early.

BECCA - sorry your cough is lingering. A good idea to stay in our of the cold and wind. And a hot dog for supper? I guess you are subconsiously celebrating summer early and picnic suppers!

CAROL- Did you get your TW all done?

LORI - we've been through Kingman several times, but never stayed there longer than to fuel up. It's kind of out there in sagebrush land. I hope you have a great trip and a wonderful visit with your friend.

I haven't given a thought to our supper. We have about 300 miles to go today to Baton Rouge KOA campground. So after that long ride I want easy. I think it will be the frozen lasagna I've been saving for just such an occasion. It's kind of cold here and the oven will help heat our rig. I'll even toss a salad so we can be eatin' fancy.

What do you fancy for your supper tonite?

Quilter7

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Jan 2nd

Post by Quilter7 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:16 am

Good Morning,

Maryz - Yes, I am finished except for sewing down the binding. I have one side and one corner done including the label. Yes, I know sewing by machine is faster, but this is a gift and will be in the show. My prayers are with your family as they deal with the loss of your nephew.

Last evening I saw Napoleon at the theater. It is a good movie. It made me want to read more about Napoleon's life. I cannot help but think of all the men who died in battle and the many who died during the Reign of Terror. France lost many talented people. Russia lost many during WWII (seige of Leningrad - 20 Million) and England lost many during WWI. What does this do for our world?

Yesterday I made Navy Bean Soup. We will have it for dinner again this evening. There is a Board meeting this evening. I will continue to work on the binding.

Carol

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:30 am

Mary, so sorry to hear about your nephew. How long before you reach Florida? Where in Florida will you stay?

Carol, I hand s sew most of my bindings. It's relaxing.

I'll be leaving in a bit. Not sure what's for dinner.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:26 am

Hello everyone sunny but cold & Windy
I run out to get honey from r my cough That helps I think
Maryz Im so sorry about your nephew It’s Heart wrenching because you always wonder what you may have done
Stay safe in the road
Denise called to visit this week but I told her I would not chance it
So next week it is
Lori Enjoy your time wherever you go
Carol I always felt handsewing is relaxing
Plus it gives it a personal touch
Tina Hope everyone is well at your house
I will take it easy again I did knit a little yesterday That was a giant step lol
Have a good day and prayers for your family Maryz and your DB especially
Becca

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:50 am

Good morning all 🌞
Mary, safe travels. I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, how heartbreaking. Prayers for you all but especially for your brother.
We're a very warm 52°, no breeze so it feels like 70° to me, I have the door open and the screen door letting air in.
Becca, I sure hope the honey does the trick for you. Coughing can be very exhausting.
Carol, I bet your TW will be a show stopper! I can't do binding by hand anymore, my ring finger and little finger protest.
Lori, glad you got the shopping done for your dad, I did mine just before Christmas but I predict he'll be calling me any day with a new list LOL
Dad's love seat was delivered this morning, he hasn't let me talk him in to rearranging the living room yet though LOL He likes to look out the window and I'm trying to make it where he can look out better but whatever makes him happy I'm all for it.
I just finished cleaning out and rearranging a closet. I bought a tote for all my Fall things to fit in instead of 3 smaller cardboard boxes and wanted it in that 1 closet so took everything out and got it in there and rearranged everything plus getting rid of a few things and now the closet looks better. Frankie went to pick up pecans at his nephew's, he helped him shake the trees yesterday so his pay is getting to go pick up some pecans, works out great for us!!
I've got another closet half done but needed Frankie's help because I'm too short so after lunch that job will be done.
I think we'll have leftover corned beef and the veggies for supper, it was so yummy last night and we all really liked it!
Tina

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:22 am

Good afternoon from a cold, dreary, yucky, SW Pa...I've already broken 1 of my resolutions by not being here yesterday so thought I'd better get with it....It's been a long time, lots has happened both good and bad but hopefully and I'm very confident, the new year is going to be a good one.....

Mary, so sorry to hear about your nephew...I often wonder what pain they must have gone through to do this and now, they are at peace..My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and of course your brother......You had asked me about my sister and her surgery...Well, she had her hip replaced 2 days before Thanksgiving and has been on the go ever since....She came home a few hours after, has had absolutely no pain, little achy but no pain....Was upset with the doctor because, being her right hip, he said no driving, she argued and then he relented a week....During her "lay up", I was her taxi and now she's back to being mine...Don't know what I'd do without her! Still lots of drama in her family but I'm ignoring it.....And my Kevin finally has decided his knee is ready for the surgeon if he wants to be able to keep up with his little ones...MEN!

I've tried to keep up with everyone and it's been tough...My heavens what a busy bunch! I hear and see the quilts you're all making and before you know it, they are done and you're all moving on to the next.....

One thing that made me sad was the news about Joanne in Ohio, loosing Earl the Pearl and now her problems....She started the post about books and I always pictured her sitting on her front porch reading...Another little funny, I often talked about the cute delivery men or garbage men who graced our neighborhood in the summer in their shorts and she would also say, she'd sit on the porch and wait for them...Loved her pictures in their costumes.......

We haven't had any new babies but we are having a wedding....FINALLY, after many years, Kathy's son, Dan, proposed to Casey and the wedding will be next Sept....They were in Hawaii with Kathy and they love to scuba so Dan planned the whole thing under water...AND the wedding will be at the Columbus Zoo....

Time for me to get off this machine and do something...Would hate to screw up another resolution.....Not sure what dinner might be but do still have leftover pork and sauerkraut or could be just a salad......

You all have a great rest of the day.......

Happy eating..................

Return to “Chit Chat”