Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, May 19

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, May 19

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri May 19, 2023 7:03 am

Good morning,

It's going to be another nice day here in the Harbor. Though we'll be cooling off soon for the weekend. Amazing how quickly we acclimate to the 70's and 68* goes from "basking warmth" a few weeks ago to "cooling off" now. Just in time for my sister's arrival tomorrow. Yesterday I got almost all my "getting ready" chores done. Today is just clean our master bath, do one load of wash, and relax. I'll also make some shortcake to take to friends tonite, and clean the strawberries that go with. I will have time to play in my sewing room and start stitching down my April OWL block. Who knows, I might even cut out that third shirt. That will force me to finish it. :D

TINA - glad your shoulders are doing so much better. Disneyland is great - though there's a lot more to the cost than just tickets. Gas, hotels, meals, souvenirs, ears, etc. But it would be fun for the kids! I remember that Lee's job at the Bremerton Naval Shipyard offered package deals like Jana was mentioning. Maybe Kevin, working for the state, could see if any are available through his job. If Holly does decide to go, I think you should go along! Heck! Your whole family should go! But beware - it is a LOT of walking and standing in lines. Is Jasmyne graduating this year? Gosh! I remember when she was 4 yrs old!

CAROL - In later years, I've tried to simplfy. Not just meals, but everything - yard work, house work, travel packing, etc. So, hopefully, I won't be having to spend a lot of time in the kitchen through my sister's visit. We'll see how it goes. Our of curiosity, how much is an annual pass to D-land now? Autumn used to get that every year when she lived in South Pasadena.

JANA - compromising on a shop for Daniel would be like skimping on sewing space for us. He better keep looking! But I have a good feeling that the right place will come along for the kids soon. Have they considered buying property and building a house? I'm thinking that house they put an offer on is way overpriced. Brand new homes here with 3,000 to 3,500 square feet, 2 story, 3 bath, 3 or 4 bedrooms, sometimes a bonus room, go for that price, and the PNW is known for high cost of housing.

BECCA - offering up prayers for our little Brodee. Do you know what they mean by "not doing well"? So often such extreme preemies end up with problems of varying degrees. How is Hadlee doing? And Frankie?

Last night's supper was a marinated flank steak. I'm not much of a red meat eater, but this was very good!
I got the recipe but haven't looked at it yet - just photographed it. We're invited to our friends, Tex & Annette's house tonite. I think he said they are having Costco's frozen mac & cheese. Yum! I have to say it is as good as any homemade I've ever had. I'm taking dessert - strawberry shortcake, so I'll be making the shortcake today. I know angel food is better for us, but I only get this once, maybe twice a year, so by golly, I'm taking the real stuff - right from Betty Crocker, pg 257.

What's the plan at your house?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Friday, May 19

Post by gershwin64 » Fri May 19, 2023 7:29 am

Good morning everyone!
I'm about to head out the door to use my grass shears and do some watering.
Mary, 68 and 70 degrees are perfect in my book. I bet you'll conquer that 3rd shirt in no time!
I'll have to have Holy check and see with her being a teacher and technically a state worker if there's any discount packages for her too.
Oh goodness no, Jazmyne is only 15 and just ending her sophomore year of high school/ college. Don't rush her graduation LOL
Which Betty Crocker cookbook is the shortcake recipe in that you're talking about? Strawberry shortcake is my all time favorite! I hardly ever have it though because nobody makes it good and that includes any recipes I've tried.
I'm not sure about supper yet. I'll check back to see what the rest of you come up with.
Tina

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Fri May 19, 2023 10:50 am

Good Morning,

Maryz - Enjoy your day and enjoy dinner with friends. Strawberry Shortcake does sound good. My pass is the Imagine Pass available only to Southern California residents. This year I will pay $449.00 for it. There are a lot of block out dates (Summer, December, Spring Break, a week in October and all weekends). I make good use of the pass. I do pay for parking, but get a discount. I also get a discount on merchandise and food. Looking at the price of tickets it is definitely worth it for me to buy the pass.

Tina - Disney has a three day visit with one park a day for $83.00 a day but you have to pay $249.00. Children from 3-9 do pay less and under age 3 are free.

Dinner will be Chicken, Potatoes, Salad and Broccoli.

Becca

Post by Becca » Fri May 19, 2023 11:36 am

Hello everyone overcast here & nice at 67
A big change
We just got back from a trail here that’s like a Mtn trail It was 21/2 miles long but seemed longer due to incline After my regular morning walk I should have a good day in Will Miss tomorrow because it’s Avery’s Birthday party Then Church on Sunday
I guess they are trying to keep my mind busy due to knowing I was very let down about moving I had understanding I would get in by June at least Not happening
Maryz Hadlee is super fine She cheers in competition at only 3 yrs of age She always wants all the attention
Frankie is doing great little fat cheeks & growing fast now that she had tongue fixed
Brodees Mother put on Facebook he wasn’t doing good with seizures That’s all I know Not living close I don’t hear or see them like I used to He hasn’t been to ER That’s all I know
Enjoy your night out & the shortcake
Tina I do hope you can get the ticket for them worked out I. Know it is expensive & lots of waiting and walking
Carol Glad it can be a nice break for you to go to DW I don’t enjoy rides Never did even as a child
We had an omelette for lunch No idea on tonight. Becca

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri May 19, 2023 1:19 pm

Mary, I like to simplify as well. That's why we have cereal for dinner a couple times a week.

Tina, Dland is very expensive. Tickets, parking, food, and lodging. We used to take the kids over 30 years ago, and it would cost about $600 for the day back then. We live only 12 miles away. Now you also have to make a reservation for the day you want to attend. No walking up to the gate and buying a ticket. I haven't been in over 20 years. I prefer Knott's Berry Farm.

Mary, glad your weather cooled off. Wasn't it blazing hot last time your sister visited?

I did a bunch of running around this morning. Got home and put together a flower block for the lotto. Just need to stitch it down. I got the backing made for the other quilt. Used up most of the fabric. Yay!

Dinner will be chicken with something. Maybe rice, maybe, pasta, maybe potatoes.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

Becca

Post by Becca » Fri May 19, 2023 1:54 pm

Lori I forgot to answer on the little house I wanted to go with a new double wide or a small house They want me where I’m safe no maintenance & can get help if needed later on so I went along with them . Never knowing the wait could be so long
Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri May 19, 2023 2:01 pm

Good afternoon!

Just got back from running around the valley. Picked up my bench pillow kit and then we went and the new woodworking store that Michael and Daniel both love. Two dangerous stores! So as I walked out the LQS, there was a adorable mini quilt. Well I ordered the book. This mini quilt has three pairs of scissors and the phrase, I play with scissors - just for the shear fun of it! Puns are a big thing in this house. It's part of a quilt with all things sewing and quilting. So that whole quilt will get made - one of these days.

Daniel and Kari are looking at the house just up the road from us tomorrow. It's lot is odd shaped and has a slope on a side. Daniel thinks he can make it work. The house is big, two stories and a basement. It's also on a court, tucked way back in the neighborhood , so it's safer to play in the front yard..

Dinner - spaghetti is a possibility, and whatever else I can conjure up. Really not in the mood to cook, so we'll see.....

Mary - hope our Kumquat has no ill effects with the hip. Good thing grandma is a very knowledgeable nurse and will keep mom from too many worries! Oh, the trouble you can get in with your sister arriving tomorrow.

Tina- Matt researched and rented a house near Disneyland for his family and Sarah's family. That way, they could eat there and not spend too much money on food in the parks.

Carol - that's a great price for a season pass, even with the black out days.

Becca - prayers for Brodee - hopefully he'll be right there beside his sister! And you too. Waiting is so hard.

Well, time to run Karlie off her tablet, enough screen time right now,

Hugs,
Jana

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Fri May 19, 2023 2:28 pm

Jana - The blackout days do not bother me because I do not want to go when it is really hot in the summer nor on weekends. During the week it is crowded enough!

Tina - One other thing, as Mary mentioned there is a lot of walking which I love. I usually walk about 3 miles a day however on Disneyland days 5-1/2 miles in about 6 hours. You may spend twice as much time as I do at Disneyland. A book I read suggested having children walk for a few weeks ahead of time. Good walking shoes and socks are a must. No sandals! Also, everyone should wear a hat. I see light skinned people with no hat on and some are wearing sandals. You will end up with a sunburn and blisters on your feet. If you do not practice walking ahead of time you will be extremely tired and sore too.

As I said I do bring my own water bottle and I bring snacks. You can bring your own sandwiches to avoid the high-priced food too. There are lockers you can rent so you do not have to carry around everything and there is a picnic area to eat lunch.

I love going and have a good time every time I go. It brings me smiles.
Carol

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri May 19, 2023 2:51 pm

Tina - with walking, which I can't, there are electric scooters you can rent in the park. They are a lifesaver! We call them go-me carts.

So see, you're covered - now just go!

Return to “Chit Chat”