Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, May 17th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, May 17th

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed May 17, 2023 8:29 am

Good morning,

Today is Norwegian Independence Day and also Autumn and Antonio's first wedding anniversary. They chose May 17th as a way of remembering and honoring Aut's Norwegian dad, Mike, who died when she was only 8. We always celebrated the day, even though in a tongue in cheek way, when he was alive. It's been a big year for them - marriage, baby, moving, and now, moving again by the end of the month.

Yesterday I finished all but the buttons and button holes on that ding dang flannel shirt. I wanted to serge the exposed seams, and ended up spending 2-1/2 hrs cleaning and rethreading my serger. I love/hate that thing. And I'm waiting for my good machine to come home from the hospital to make the buttonholes so for now, the shirt is hanging on a hanger off the cabinet door in my sewing room. Today, after my chiro appt, I'm going to work on OWL for a little bit, then start getting ready for my sister's visit - they arrive Sat. Got some cleaning, shopping, cooking to do before then.

BECCA - I guess you are locked in. I hope your name comes up soon. It took years of nagging but I finally got Mr. Grumpy to pressure wash all our cement surfaces yesterday. The house needs it, too, but I gave up on that a long time ago. It IS a big job.

CAROL - how did the auction go? I know you did your usual fab job with it! This pattern has unusual collar and sleeve placket pieces. And it also did the cuffs in a different way than I'm used to. My sewing training was at a vocational school and was pretty comprehensive, but it was also a pretty long time ago! lol! I don't want to do the third shirt, but I'm thinking maybe I've got my feet under me again and should give it a 'go'.

LORI - Your quilt is a stunner! I love everything about it! And you quilted it yourself on your regular machine?? You are amazing! You've earned a pass on that ugh! salmon dinner you sneaked in there.

JANA - I'm excited for Daniel and family. Truly. What a great time for them all. Is this the first house they've ever purchased? It IS scary! When Mike and I bought our house back in 1976, we were scared to death - even though the payments ($282/mo) were less than our rent!

I don't have any idea what supper will be tonite. I don't want leftovers - We are invited to friends tomorrow and Friday and my sis will be here Saturday. So it might just be grilled cheese sandwiches and a simple salad. We have lots of greens to eat up.

I hope y'all have a better idea than I do!

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wed, May 17th

Post by gershwin64 » Wed May 17, 2023 9:09 am

Good morning everyone! It's been 17 days since I've posted. I kinda got busy with Spring outside work and was trying to play catchup inside and next thing I knew the day was gone and day after day I kinda got out of the habit of stopping by, I'll try to do better, sorry. I have missed you all and thought of you all daily.
The new chickens are out with the older ones but so far they all sleep in their own sections, we may change that in a week or so.
I went to the new chiropractor in town yesterday and wow did he ever help me! I'm planning on going weekly for a month or so until the feel good lasts longer then I'll start spacing it out to every 10 days then 14 days and see how I do. It sure is nice to be able to take a deep breath without back pain! He worked on my leg and my sciatica too ❤
Dad treated us to supper last night because he figured I'd be sore, LOL he was right but it wasn't too bad, probably because I drink a lot of water.
Mary, is Autumn and Antonia staying in the same city? I forget if they're renting or own right now? Are they going to rent or own when they move?
Supper here tonight will be chicken fajitas.
Tina

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed May 17, 2023 10:00 am

Hello everyone Partly Cloudy here which helps the temps stay down Got walk in early
Maryz Yes it’s wait for the next opening If you get in a nice place there’s always a waiting list
Hope A& A can stay In general area because of her job
Glad you mastered the shirt
Tina We sure missed you I was afraid it was you or Dad on the sick list Glad it was just work So glad the Chiropractor was able to help If it works stick with it

Denise got out this morning and pressure washed Marks shop It matches the house & looks just like a small house I could live in it if they would let me lol
Jana glad Daniel was able to find a house It’s not easy with todays Market
Last night we had Banned salad roasted potatoes and onions & steamed broccoli
Becca

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed May 17, 2023 10:38 am

Mary, sorry about that. I obviously forgot rule number one. lol I'll try not to do it again, but I have a tendency to slip up once in a while. Happy Anniversary to the A & A. How's the little missy doing?

Becca, would a tiny house just be perfect. Less to clean.

Hi Tina! I've missed you. Glad you are getting things done and feeling better.

I finished up the top I was working on yesterday. I'm going to piece the back with the leftover fabrics. I'll see if I have enough batting to quilt it up. I'm going to give it away to charity. It was a test run. I like it, but will change a few things when I make it again. I already have it cut and ready to sew. I'm also working on another mini quilt with leftover Kaffe scraps. I had the Accuquilt cutter out the other day and cut all three of these out. It was fast and easy.

Jack took me for my walk this morning. I've been looking at some quilting books deciding on some patterns I want to try. They are all Jelly Roll quilts.

Dinner will be Spaghetti and meatballs.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed May 17, 2023 10:41 am

Jana, did the kids offer get accepted?
Lori 8-)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed May 17, 2023 11:16 am

Good morning!

So far, no word on the house. The offer has a time to let them know by 3 pm , my time, today, still about 4 hours. Hopefully that's a good sign that they didn't reject it quickly.

The magic chicken cassarole wasn't - it was a bomb of mega proportions! But I'm trying another new recipe today. It's from Cooks Country cooking show, called Boogaloo Wonderland sandwich. It's very similar to a sloppy Joe. Daniel used to like Manwich, but the company changed the recipe, so I'll try a similar one for tonight.

The house saga - they countered, but still too much more than the kids can do. They'll counter back and see - crunching numbers again. Still hoping

Off for a discussion on what to do next,

Hugs,
Jana

Update on house - the sellers picked their asking price from Zillow. Zillow is notorious for wrong prices. Our agent went off the comps and county assessor records and the kids offer is right in the ballpark. The sellers agent was pulling her hair out, trying to get her clients to understand the correct pricing. So the kids did counter and we'll see. Still 640,000 for a house boggles my mind!

The counter from the sellers was 685, 000 - comps say 625,000 and the kids countered back at the 640,000. They will leave the door open for the sellers. But are looking for other houses.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed May 17, 2023 4:35 pm

Good Afternoon,

Maryz - Happy Anniversary to Autumn and Antonio and Happy Norwegian Independence Day! You have two shirts completed except for buttonholes, so you have conquered the pattern. Good for you! What meals are you preparing so you can freeze and heat when your sister is in town?

The auction went fine. We made some money. The lady who usually runs the auction said I did great and she said it was good to watch it too. She said she learned something about the Zoom participants bidding. Someone in the room watches the computer and relays the bidding to the person on stage.

Lori - The North Cities Guild had their quilt at our meeting last night. Are you a member? I did buy opportunity tickets.

Tina - Glad to see you! Also happy for you that Chiropractor was able to help you! The Spring is keeping everyone busy.

Becca - You went for your walk and I need to go on mine. Our weather is only 68* with the wind blowing. I will get out, but have had a sweatshirt on all day.

Jana - People think their house is worth more than it really is worth. Before we bought our present house (25 years ago) we made and offer and they countered with a higher price. They had someone else interested as well. We walked away and the house was on the market another 6 months before it was finally sold. The real estate agent was trying to set up a bidding war and we were not going to be part of it. The right house will come along at the right price. Prayers for Daniel and Kari.

Dinner is another matter. I think I may suggest dinner out or turkey sandwiches.

Carol

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed May 17, 2023 5:00 pm

Carol, no I'm not a member of North Cities. They don't have a meeting this month. Next month is Leah Ziebar. I've seen her a few times. I like her class on orphan blocks.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”