Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, March 10th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, March 10th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:51 am

Good morning,

We are going to have a rainy, breezy day today. Part of the big storm that's hitting the west coast now and will be moving east when it's done with us. Sorry about that. Our furnace seems to have gone kaput. So happy we have two wood stoves. We'll stay warm, but we do have a call into the furnace guy. Our furnace is original from when house was built 47 years ago.🙏🤞

Yesterday was productive, if all you count is sewing. I put binding on my North Stars. It's a quilt!! Yay! I also finished up the last of the 5" crazy blocks and got a start on my fancy gold stitching. Each block takes me 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how many seams there are to stitch over. I have 264 blocks to fancy stitch. So you know what I'll be doing this weekend! Other projects in my pipeline are two more shirts, a summer dress for me, cutting up scraps, and then maybe making another few quilts with those scraps. I should tackle my collection of HST's. (I have no idea how I managed to fill a whole double-sized shoebox with them!) And whatever else comes along to thwart my plans.

CAROL - I hope all your appts yesterday went well - especially the haircut! Thanks for info on your most usable size of scraps. I used to cut as small as 1-1/2". It takes as long to cut them as it does to sew them so after my last (of 3) postage stamp quilts I decided not to save them anymore. But I was looking through my Scrap is Happ book last night and so many of the projects in there (and I like them all!) uses those tiny pieces. So I may start doing it again. I think I'll take my tote of leftover scraps camping later this month and spend some time sorting and cutting. It will be a good camping project since weather at the coast will most likely be cool and wet.

BECCA - I'm so glad you got to see your deer at your old house one last time. They were coming to say good-bye, I'm sure! But nice you have deer where you are at now, too. I bet that orchid conservatory was beautiful! I had lunch with a friend last Tuesday and she was showing me pictures of her dad's orchids. He also has a huge greenhouse. Orchids have always been his hobby. He had colors I've never even seen before! So beautiful!

VELDA - glad you had such a nice visit and a favorite meal with your best people. But sorry about the infx. Hope you were able to get to the Pharmacy and pick up your script and get started on it. Are you painting today?

JANA - thank you for the pattern! I'll be looking for it! You're not weird at all. I have TEN binders full of stuff I'm sure my kids will all toss into the garbage one day. I haven't counted up the total feet of baseboard and woodwork in my house. But I'm sure it's a very depressing number! I do vacuum it all - occasionally. Last summer I crawled all over my house washing the baseboards. I need some little kids I can bribe to do it for me! I'm getting too old . . .

LORI - by now I bet those spools are all done! Just the blocks or is the whole quilt together? I found so many strips in my scrap tote so you've given me the idea to make spools with some of them. If I keep this up I'll have a pile of quilts to donate to the nursing home this Christmas - or to the cops. Guess I'll decide who gets them after I see how many I get finished.

I went to get the orange chicken out of the freezer yesterday and I found a noodle casserole I'd frozen about 3 weeks ago. So I pulled that out instead. There is half of it left so we'll have that tonite along with a big salad and a couple pieces of cornbread that I also found in the freezer. Guess my scrap cleaning frenzy is extending to the freezer! lol!

What's the plan at your house?

Quilter7

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Friday, March 10th

Post by Quilter7 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:34 am

Good Morning,

Yesterday was a busy day! I couldn't find a parking spot at 10:20 AM at Costco and gave up. I may try today. Haircut is great! DH got the backyard mowed yesterday too.

Today it is raining. We will clean bathrooms, change the bed, wash sheets and towels today. Think I will also need to run the dishwasher, wash the dining room and kitchen floors.

Maryz - Glad you looked at your "Scrappiness is Happiness" book. You will have one of those quilts sewn before the rest of us organize our scraps! It sounds like you had a very productive day yesterday.

Lori - I am looking forward to seeing your spool quilt.

Jana - I do not want to count the number of linear feet of baseboard I need to clean but will remind you that doors don't have baseboard just lintels that need to be cleaned too. lol I have been trying to dust them several times this year and need to start Spring cleaning. It is hard to start Spring cleaning when it has been raining every few days and feels quite cool. I will start soon. Organizing your patterns is a very good way of being able to find them and use them again. Good for you!

Becca - Hoping you can work on that project. Maybe reading what I am doing will remind you of the work of maintaining a house. It is a lot of work and I am sure you will not miss it. Enjoy the sewing!

Vel - Hope you feel better! Enjoy your painting project.

This is third Friday of Lent. I am not sure we are having Macaroni and Cheese or Noodle Casserole. I am betting if I ask DH he will say Noodle Casserole.

Carol

Becca

Post by Becca » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:45 am

Hello everyone Rainy here so inside day
Been taking care of phone They changed it without our consent so I have it straight now The manager gave me a plan then they charge me 10.00 more s month so I get refund and it’s changed Manager was reported

Denise I’d in bed with migraine headache today She got it last night
Maryz You are a whiz on quilts I love crazy quilts Mom had 2 The hand work is tedious

Carol I sure don’t miss housework Nor my weeding or weed cutting
We may have leftovers today Fine by me Or I may make us something Very different cooking in another’s kitchen even if it is your DD. Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:00 pm

Good afternoon from a very rainy, chilly day in SW. Pa....A day as Becca said, an inside day.....Once again, I'm messing up with my New Year's promises...I've been MIA but really do have good excuses, honest! My computer is having a meltdown or maybe like the rest of us, anxious for spring and sulking...But, also have been busy with doctors, mine and my sisters....On Wednesday, my sister had a very early appointment with her back surgeon and of course he gave her a list of things that have to be tried 1st....He had taken care of 1 of her sons and it was great...But, with JoAnn having so much arthritis, it's hard to pin point the problem...Her MRI shows bulging disks and a mess of other things but he's also thinking it might be her hip....So after that appointment, she asked if I'd stop at Kohls, she had a wheelchair, so we stopped, then we went to a $$ store and finally to Bob Evans for lunch....I picked her up at 6:00 and didn't get back home until 3:00....Needless to say, I was tuckered out, had a cup of tea and hit the recliner...AND would you believe, I even slept through Survivor, went to bed and slept until 7:30...But, when I took my BP, it was the lowest it had been for months...So, I told her, I'd be over early in the morning and we could do it all again, it was good for my health (she didn't agree).....
But while we were at Bob Evans, had a salad and their dressing is the best I've ever had, so I had to buy a bottle...We decided it would be good for potato salad, easier too....I was cooking the spuds yesterday, came in the sewing room, forgot the potatoes until I smelled them burning....So, not giving up, I'm trying again today......
Mary, I honestly can't get over how much you get done in 1 day...That's more than I do in a week, maybe 2.....Maybe it's the early rising and early to bed that helps...Those who you donate the quilts to will be so appreciative....That's great! I've been wondering if you had made the Haluska? When I make mine, it's simply, cook the cabbage in lots of butter and when cooked, dump in cooked noodles and eat...Now, Kevin made some the other day and said, he put some bacon in his and others add onions....I guarantee, you'll love it.....
Becca, so glad to hear you've seen the deer and that you also have a porch....My deer hasn't been around for awhile but I think they're over at Kevin's....He puts out better snacks...And he has a neighbor who does feed them and every evening, he brings out their food and they come running and he actually walks among them....There is a nice grove of trees and bushes that they live in and are protected...One night right before Christmas, Emma saw the man and the deer and Kevin told her it was Santa and his reindeer...

Well, didn't mean to write a novel but now, I better check those potatoes....Would hate to repeat yesterday's mess......
So for my dinner, I'm having potato salad and left over chicken....Did bring home some banana bread from Bob Evans for my afters....Don't want to brag, but finally put on weight and don't have to worry about the pants falling down, (not a pretty sight)....

You all have a great rest of the day......

Happy eating....................

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:05 pm

Good afternoon. I am done painting for today. It's a start. Our son has one of these as well. If ours turns out nice, I promised to paint his, too. 😉
I contacted the place that makes these and requested to buy a replacement stand. When camping I displayed it by placing the stand right on the grass. I learned a hard lesson! Place on a patio block! The base of the stand started to crumble. Long story.... They had an unpainted stand. I asked if I could buy it plain. She said " you will paint it, won't you?"
"Oh, yes, by all means" and I explained that I was repainting the plaque and then the shade of black will match. We went this morning to pick that up. I have it partially painted along with the plaque. Tomorrow, after today's paint it dry overnight, I will turn over and paint the back side.
I am cooking pork loin boneless chops tonight.
Mary, you sure are a busy one. What a sweet package I received today. Maryq sent me Lotto blocks that she won for me to use on lap quilts for the nursing home. She said her UFO stack is huge. I was so excited and so appreciative.
Have a great afternoon.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:24 pm

Good evening!

Waaaay late me! Dinner is nachos - easy and quick. Spent the morning grocery shopping, then the rest of the day re-ordering the downstairs pantry. Moved items around and moved some things to another space in the Batt Cave, nearby the pantry. Also straightened both freezers. Michael was a big help. I have been putting this chore off for awhile. Daniel is making me all new better shelves for the cold storage area - where all the cans, etc are at. Right now, I just have 3 wire shelving units that don't use the space as efficiently as Daniel will do for me. This area is directly under my front porch and stays nice and cool. So all this work, will be undone, when Daniel builds the new shelves in a few weeks. Then put back!

So now the Batt Cave is getting spring cleaned. Upstairs is mostly done.

Hugs,
Jana

Velda - don't forget to put a top coat, sealant over all you paint work. A matte finish would probably look the best. You can get spray cans to make it easier. That will help it last longer too.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 pm

I was just thinking about what to have for dinner, and I saw Jana is having Nachos. I think I will too.

The spool quilt top is almost finished. The pattern is from Teri Christopherson. I've done a few of hers from the book "Sunflower Patch." I pulled some fabric for a small table runner. It's a free pattern on Fans of Buttermilk Basin on FB. They put out part one yesterday. And you wonder why I have so many UFO's?!!

Mary, your crazy quilt is going to be fabulous. A lot of hours are being but into that creation. Well the furnace lasted a long time. Our original furnace lasted about 43 years. We replace it when we added A/C to the house. Every winter towards the end, we would hope it would come on. It sounded like it was tired.

Carol, you probably don't want to go to Costco if it's that busy outside. Inside must be a zoo. I try and my my trips to Costco on Wednesday about 1100. It seems to be a quieter time to go.

I think I will throw together some Nachos. I have avocados that are ready to eat to go with it.

Have a lovely evening.

Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”