Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Feb 3rd

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Feb 3rd

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:23 am

Good morning,

I overlsept a tad this morning but am finally getting myself together. I have another chiro appt today. Then a stop at the post office and after that, swinging through grocery store for a few fresh items. And a stop at Michael's for a couple skeins of DMC embroidery floss. I am starting a new project (Christmas stocking for Kumquat) and it has about 40 colors in it. I have nearly every color DMC makes but I guess I'm out of these two. I couldn't find them in my floss stash.

Yesterday I got my Feb lotto blocks finished then cleaned up my sewing room. Now I'm ready for my new project, though I should finish my North Stars first. I hate leaving something unfinished.

TINA - glad you're feeling better enough to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine. And if you did that, that must mean you were able to get down (and back up!) the 2 or 3 stairs I know you have to traverse to get there! Progress!! If you get the urge to make a Star Wars quilt, check out Fandom in Stitches website. They have it all. But it's all in paper piecing, which put me off it for a few days, but then, when I couldn't find any other LOTR patterns I thought I'd give it a try. I chose what looked to be the easiest block gave it a whirl. And lo and behold, it turned out! I was pleased with the result so I tried another one. It was fun! I taught myself a new skill! Just a thought - something you could explore while laying low and healing.

VELDA - yep - if you're dancing, you can skip the exercise now and then! Dancing is much more fun! Do you line dance? Bill and I used to teach several line dances "back in the day" but now we can only remember the electric slide.

LORI - you had a meeting to make table decorations for a meeting? How many will be at the business meeting? Sounds kind of elegant.

CAROL - Having a catch up day now and then is great. You can really feel like you accomplished something. Great reminder about the frozen breaded chicken tenders at Costco. I will give them a try next time. We also use Panda Express orange sauce. And nope - no misplacement of a decimal. Foxy has all outdoors for his litter box (and he uses it!). And that outdoors cost me $93,000 37 years ago. :lol: He only needs a litter box when we're in the trailer.

Last night at the Italian restaurant we both had putanesca. Spicy! Maybe a little too spicy for me. I brought some home for my lunch. But for tonite,I'm thinking of grilled burgers. If Bill wants to brave 48* and rain to do the grilling. At lease our deck has a roof. But if he changes his mind, we might just have bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns. We might anyway.

What's cookin' at your house?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Feb 3rd

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:45 am

Good morning everyone!
Mary, I think I'm going to do applique for R2D2 on the couple that needs it πŸ€” I've really been looking at how this is done, I'm thinking about putting it in graph paper and go from there. How awesome you're making another stocking! So excited for you! Any name hints yet?
Yep I'm making progress and very happy about it! I was even able to put the footrest down on my recliner this morning! It doesn't have a hand lever, you use your legs to push it down and in. I was worried about this part because if Frankie was outside I'd have to call him if I needed to go potty, this is a huge relief off me now! I get frustrated with not being able to do even little things, I'm trying to be patient.
Kevin had a ravioli dish last time at Olive Garden, I've been craving it LOL he let me taste it. I need to see if I can find a copy cat recipe and make it, I have to ask him again what the name of it is first though.
I'm working on squaring up HST for Pinwheel blocks still.
It's Dad's night if he feels up to coming over, he got his injections Tuesday and is hurting pretty bad so we'll see.
We're making baked chicken and rice and I feel like having asparagus as the veggies.
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:22 pm

Good afternoon!

I have a corned beef in the pot cooking for dinner tonight. I have asparagus too.

Tina - I have a really good spinach filling for my ravioli. It's great as a layer in lasagna too. There are ravioli makers, that look like ice cube trays that make it easy to form and seal. They're not too expensive and turn out a dozen at a time. I freeze extras for future meals when I do up my ravioli. You can cheat the pasta dough by using wonton wrappers. I make my pasta dough by scratch. It's easy too.

Mary - what fun a new stocking! You and Sarah have quite the collection of floss. She has tons too!

Not much going on here. Still looking for my hooks for my new wall.

Off to find some trouble to get into. I think I have a shamrock pillow for my bench to embroider. Need to check my stash.

Hugs,
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:52 pm

Hi everyone. I started my day by baking peanut butter cookies. I always eat one, even though I am diabetic. I figure one now and then will not hurt me much. Just don't overdo it! DH likes having cookies around.
Leftover chili tonight. I made microwave popcorn for afternoon snack. Didn't realize until I got home from the store, that my popcorn says "snack size". Much nicer than the traditional regular size. Perfect for snack.
Mary, yes, I will be looking at JoAnne's next week and see what they have in golf theme fabric. I am not ready to purchase some, because I haven't picked my pattern and wouldn't know how much to buy.
I am kicking around the idea of using the Feb Lotto blocks pattern for her quilt. I could fussy cut the 6.5" square from theme fabrics if various patterns. Then buy the royal blue and purple colors she likes in a pretty batik for triangles. But then, would I need to do sashing, or would it look best block sewn to block?
Then I need to figure how much yardage to buy of each color. Maybe have to buy three yards of each color and hope it will be enough. Haven't worked on math yet to get my brain working on it.
That's what's going on here.
HUGS, πŸ’• Vel

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:57 pm

Vel, I make my popcorn on the stove with coconut oil and corn. It will stay fresh in a container for about 3 days. That way it's a really great snack when I want it.

Jana, I've never made ravioli, but I know my dad has a mold. I should go find it. Pasta dough is really easy to make.

Tina, sounds like you are getting stronger daily. Yay! Our Olive garden restaurants have gone down hill. That aren't as good as they were years ago.

Mary, 48* isn't that bad. I've grilled in colder weather than that when I was in Utah. Sometimes you just want that grilled burger.

I went to a farmers market this morning. I was out of Honey, and out market is closed until April, so I drove a ways to a city in LA county to get my honey. Then I came home and Jack took me for a walk. I went and helped my dad out with some bill paying and finding a new house keeper. His said she couldn't do it any more. We have someone coming on Monday to give us a price and let us know what they will do. I sure hope she works out. It gets really nasty over there. My dad is 90 and doesn't get around well, and brother has COPD and can't do anything. I have my own house to clean and don't want to do theirs as well.

Dinner will be mashed potatoes with fresh broccoli I got at the farmers market today. Maybe chicken if I feel like it.

Have a lovely evening.

Lori 8-)

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:03 pm

I also make big batches of popcorn popped on stove top. I put in zip lock. It's stays fresh ok, but I eat way to much. I don't have good self control when it comes to popcorn. LOL
I have a whirlly pop( not sure about spelling).
It makes the very best popcorn. Much better than microwave. Sometimes, I just want a snack and just don't feel like making the big batch. 😊
HUGS, πŸ’• Vel

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:24 pm

Good Afternoon,

I finished sewing the hanging sleeve and label on one quilt and started sewing the binding on the fourth quilt. I watched a Hallmark movie and sewed one side. This morning I changed the bed, did laundry, cleaned the bathroom and cleaned floors throughout the house. While talking on phone to my sister I dusted the furniture. The house may not be sparkling, but definitely looking better.

Maryz - Glad to hear you are making a stocking for kumquat. It will be a nice surprise and wonderful heirloom.

Tina - You will be back to your old self before you know it, have patience for now.

Vel - I love popcorn! We have an air popper. I should try making a big batch and keeping it.

Jana - Sorry you haven't found the missing hooks yet. Hope Daniel knows where he put them!

Lori - Why is the farmer's market closed? Hope the new housekeeper gives a fair price to you.

Dinner tonight will be Teriyaki Chicken and Rice.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:44 pm

Vel - Is this what you were thinking?

Return to β€œChit Chat”