Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - thursday, Jan 19th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - thursday, Jan 19th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:13 am

Good morning,

A nice day here in Van Horn yesterday, if windy. Glad we opted to not fight the wind. We got groceries, swept floors, vac'd carpet, and did 2 loads of wash. And I cut out my otters block which took me 2-1/2 hours. My crockpot chili was one of the best I've made. I may have to tweak my recipe at home! Today we're crossing into mountain time. Yay! And into New Mexico. Double Yay!! Our campground is very close to Tina's house so we're taking a pizza and stopping by to say hello - Triple yay!!! No cooking for me or for Tina. Quadruple yay!!!!

LORI - disappointing to not see QIAD at the big quilt shows, but I believe El is at least semi-retired. She's 6 months younger than my sister who just turned 80 in Nov. She has scaled back her appearances, I think. I know the last couple years, when I order anything from Q it has Orion's name and then QIAD on return address. There is a big Sew Expo in Puyallup early March. I wonder if Q will be there. Now you'll be sleeping right off I-10 with Tina, Carol, and me! A tri-state slumber party!

TINA - got it - no anchovies! :lol:

VELDA - I Googled chop suey recipes just to see what you had going on there. Looks like most of them called for pork, but I would prefer chicken, too. Do you serve it over anything? Chinese noodels? Rice? And yes, I got 3 meals from my pot of chili. We ate it last night, have some for Friday night, and froze enough for another night. Our last day on the road will be long (350 mi) so it will be nice to have something to just pull out of the freezer when we get home.

So, supper tonite will be pizza. At Tina's. No anchovies. What's your plan?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - thursday, Jan 19th

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:54 pm

Good afternoon!

As Mary said, a nice day here, in Herriman. Only here it's snowing! Such a good thing. The roads are clear and we are out gathering things. I'm just waiting in the car, while Michael does the gathering. He has a very item specific by brand names list. He's good as long as I have it written down.

Dinner - broccoli cheese soup and bread bowls. Both as easy to do.

Daniel is very happy with his new jeep. It's his commute as well as play car.

If to the next stop,

Hugs,
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:12 pm

I know I am late. I am sorry, I forgot to get back on here after my exercise this morning. Then I had ladies group ( Ruth Circle) meeting and after the meeting, we all went to DQ for lunch together.
Anyway, my mother-in-law taught me to make her recipe for chop suey. For years we used stew meat. Then when my DH was told to limit beef in his diet, I started substitution of ground turkey instead of ground beef in a lot of recipes and then I decided to try chicken breast on the chop suey. After simmering in the brown gravy sauce or bead molasses, the chunks of chicken meat looks just like pork.
Finding the brown gravy sauce and bead molasses is a huge challenge. Over the years, I have had to explore using Kitchen Bouquet brown gravy sauce and Grandma's Molasses.
If you are interested, I can text a copy of my mother-in-law's recipe.
We serve over Chow Mein Noodles. They are crunchy and our favorite. But if you like rice, that can also be an option.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:40 pm

Mary, I won't be staying overnight. It's only a 35 minute drive for me. I'll be there for opening white glove 9-11. Then the rest of the day looking at beautiful quilts, and shopping. I just have a few things on my list. I know you and Tina will have fun together.

Jana, did Daniel give up on Frankenjeep?

Carol must be having a good time. We haven't heard from her since she left. Can't wait to see her quilts in the show.

Dinner was chili.

Sleep well.

Lori 8-)

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:33 pm

Hi everyone!
Mary brought the pizza and we had a really nice visit! I goofed it up some though, I washed the bedclothes in the morning and when I was tucking the flat sheet and blanket in when I lifted the bottom of the mattress something popped in the back of my knee and I couldn't walk when May and Bill arrived. We did have a great time visiting anyways! Frankie helped do some show and tell and when he couldn't find some Mary to the rescue.... she knows quilters sewing rooms LOL she found it right away! 🎉 I did forget to show her my awesome lotto blocks I won for December.
I'm going to see if I can get a hold of my dr tomorrow. We think we can put 4 wheel ramps over my steps and borrow a wheelchair from Dad to get me out of the house and hopefully back in. Right now I'm only mobile by scooting around on 1 of my wheeled kitchen chairs. Leave it to me huh.
Carol and Lori, I hope you both have an awesome time at Road to California!
I'll let you know when I know something.
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”