Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Jan 12th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Jan 12th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:58 am

Good morning from the Houston area.

We're seeing Cindy today, after Bill takes care of our slowly flattening trailer tire. Not sure what the day holds but Cindy is always fun and we'll find some kind of trouble to get into, I'm sure. It wasn't an easy trip getting here, but we did make it and it's a nice park. A bit crowded, but nice.

JANA - glad you got all that dusting done! I also have a corner curio cabinet with mirrored sides and a glass front door. But sounds like mine is considerably smaller than yours. But it does need dusting about once a year. When is your next round of snow coming in? Will Kate now be a firefighter as well as an EMT? One of our unit nurses decided to do that, too. She became a paramedic as well as a firefighter. And stayed with it until she retired a few years ago.

LORI - congrats on your big wins at guild meeting! Maybe you should think about buying a lottery ticket - 1.1 billion dollars would buy a lot of fabric!

CAROL - we have driven a lot of Route 66. Some of it isn't driveable any longer unless you are driving a 4WD Jeep - which we aren't. We were in Oatman, AZ a few years ago and Rte 66 goes right through the tiny town and burros have the right of way. :D And they take it!! And you are right about the 3-4 oz of protein per serving. The size of a deck of cards. We almost always split a chicken breast or a pork chop.

VELDA - sounds like you might be married to a veggie hater. I love veggies - all except beets and overcooked zucchini. But I will still eat them. Have fun with your hand quilting. I fear my hand work days are waning. I have developed what I think is "thumb arthritis", which I've learned is a thing. Can be quite painful and it prevents me from doing a lot of things. I have to hold a broom differently, can't open jars (that have already been opened!), can't pick up a glass. Hand work exacerbates it so I've been backing off. It's going to take me the rest of my life to finish the hand embroidery in my "over the river and through the woods" quilt project.

Tonite's supper is going to be at a restaurant. We're taking Cindy out somewhere of her choosing. We will miss seeing Sue, and our hearts ache for her, but we know she's with her family right now.

Have you got a plan?

QuiltGram8

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Jan 12th

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:34 am

Good early morning. Hope you will give Cindy a big hug from all of us.
Boy! I have to report... No more hand quilting!!!
I got everything out, looked over the situation. I had previously quilted one block. It looked awful!!!
And the quilt was so wrinkled and absolutely ugly from being all bunched up for six months!!
I unquilted the one block. Pulled out all basting pins. Took the whole quilt sandwich apart!

Today, after my hair appointment, I will repress top and backing and totally re sandwich and then begin machine quilting in the most simple way I can find. I am thinking cross hatch or just straight vertical and horizontal stitching. I plan to use walking foot, for sure. I am really wishing I had a friend nearby with a long arm. I think I would happily fork over the dollars to have it professionally quilted. 🤗
As for my meals? Yesterday I spent several hours in the kitchen. Made vegi soup and shared some with next door neighbor. OMG! She was delighted! She's all alone and doesn't cook much for self. Made Texas Caviar ( I call it my bean salad) because I add some of my own choices and makes it more to my taste buds. Also made the cocktail meatballs. OMG! They turned out so delicious!!
We had them with a box mix of Mac n cheese
Yum! Now we have supper planned with left overs.
So, back to coffee ☕☕ and exercise, and get ready for hair appointment. Time to get a cut and new do!
Then the rest of my day will be preparing my quilt.
Hope your day turns out fun, fun, fun!!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:11 pm

Good afternoon!

Fussing around with laundry and uglies. Most caught up, but with three more persons and a cat, they stay ahead of me! That's 30 more fingers, umpteen eleven more shoes, coats, scarves and gloves, and backpacks! Oh well, love them anyway!

Been a busy day for Aaron too. A case of what we call "keystone cops". A teenager, speeding, lost control, played pinball off a sound wall, and flipped the car onto the passenger side in about 5 feet of water in the ditch. Driver was stuck in the car - so all hands went running, lights and sirens to aid. The kid is perfectly fine. But, one of our officers thought that crossing through the wide dirt median that separates the north and south lanes was a good idea to get there faster - nope! It looked dry and solid, but definitely wasn't, and he sank the cop truck up to the floor boards in mud. Stuck hard! So the officer got out and ran down to help the rest. Then later, they thought that Aaron could pull out the stuck truck, nope, in to far for Aaron's truck. So the city brought out the big skip loader hooked about 80 feet of heavy chain and drug the truck out. A muddy mess. Plus they had to close this main highway to do it. Lots of on lookers! All is well now. And the officers are betting that the teenager will never want to drive again!

Kate will become a full fledged fire fighter and keep her EMT status. Currently she is just part-time, but will go full time when she finishes training. Daniel, being a captain, is already giving her the ribbings of the newbie. He's a big help too.

Dinner - tacos.

Time to change laundry,

Hugs,
Jana

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Good Evening.

Maryz - Hope you got the tire fixed and were soon on your way to visit Cindy. I miss her. My point was that you could cross over to California on I-10 and stay out of snow country.

Velda - I got my hair cut today too.

Jana - Glad your curio cabinet is sparkling again. It is pretty soggy here too.

Lori - Today was much nicer for walking Jack and Wrigley so hope you had a wonderful walk.

Dinner was Fast Hash, salad and green beans.

Return to “Chit Chat”