Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Sept 12th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Sept 12th

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:38 am

Good morning,

Well, after a long session in the yard yesterday, pruning, clipping, raking, and weeding, we're done for another month or so. We cut back a lot of hanging limbs from two giant cedars and a maple, too, and everything looks so much better. I also finished my motorcycle quilt top and posted a photo. Then I went digging in my backing stash and found 5 yds of the purrfect flannel backing fabric. So today I will piece that back, work on quilting the calendar quilt which has been on the frame, half-quilted since the end of July, and start cutting strips for my Nutcracker log cabins. A busy day, but then all the days are busy at the Rockin' Z. Relaxed days sound good, but then when one happens, I get bored. So let the busy times roll!

BECCA - you are having a wet summer while we are having an exceptionally hot and dry summer for us. Other than a drizzly morning about a month ago, we haven't had any rain since the end of June. But we had the third coolest/wettest spring on record. Hot and dry sounded good to us back in April! I hope things are all quiet at your place. Your sweetie does keep you on your toes sometimes! 💖 You are so lucky to have each other.

LORI - Now that you mention it, I think I do recall you mentioning that Jonathon was having mechanical trouble in Bandon. But that was the day all my family arrived and I was running from dawn to bedtime every single day for almost a month. I lot got away from me. Ants! Ugh! Boric Acid works great on ants and isn't harmful to pets or humans. It's the active ingredient in Fleabusters but is SOO much cheaper. We sprinkle it on anthills in our yard and next day, all gone! We buy it in the gardening section of Wilco, our farm store. We keep the ants at bay by attacking the nests but you can put a perimeter around the outside of your house or even sprinkle it at the back of your kitchen cabinets, under your cabinet toe kick spaces, closets, or where ever the ants are. We also sprinkled it generously under our carpets when we had them replaced and every 3 or 4 years on top of the carpets if we are leaving for a week or so. EVen under the couch cushions. Then vacuum when we get home. It's great for lots of different pests, but ants and fleas are the biggies.

TINA - that's a lot of chilies! Do you ever dice them up and can them instead of freezing them? I buy canned diced roasted green chilies. Might free up some of your freezer space. What a lot of work, but so worth it later on. Yum!

For tonight's supper, we're going to have a casserole I made (from leftovers) and froze earlier this summer. I THINK it's chicken/peas/bacon bits/pasta in an alfredo sauce. And a big salad. We're trying to eat down the freezer before we fill it again. Wish we had some of Tina's chilies in there to fill up some of that newly emptied space!

What's happening on your plate tonite?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Sept 12th

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:09 am

Good morning everyone!
Mary, we need to have a major yard session here too but right now just too busy LOL
Your Harley quilt is awesome! How cool to have the perfect backing in your stash.
No, I only freeze the chillies, I don't have room for canned plus our house doesn't have a "cool" room in the summer. I wish you could put some in your freezer too! LOL
Easton called at 7:20 and we were both sound asleep LOL. Frankie went to pick him up, he's a faster dresser than me. So we have him for the day. We have to go into town for ziplocks, I'm almost out. We're going to go ahead and hopefully get another sack of chile done today, between 40 and 50 pound bags. We have ours almost done, 1 more roasting is all for us. But chile doesn't last very long after picking and even though we're giving 1 bag to Holly and 1 bag to Kevin we're still going to work on the rest. Maybe we'll have Holly's done by the time she comes and picks Easton up. 🤞 Tomorrow will be on and off roasting Kevin's bag because we have appointments in town plus the company is coming to replace microinvertors on 4 solar panels.
Supper tonight will be kielbasa and a veggie I think. It's easy enough to throw on the grill after doing chile all day.
Tina

Becca

Post by Becca » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:37 am

Hello everyone sunny here now Nice to see
And it’s Fall temps too So nice
Been a bad day for internet here Thought I posted but guess it didn’t
I am doing my prep work for going for treatment tomorrow I do CAs breakfast on one side of table and Lunch on the other side with notes
Also pulled some weeds
And took walk Fedx is here so better run
Making steak n peppers n onions & mashed potatoes Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:52 am

Good afternoon!

Tina - your house must smell wonderful! I can buy here at a local grocery store, bags or preroasted hatch Chile's.

Mary - I wish I had a tiny bit of your energy and ambition! You get so much accomplished in a small daylight time frame! Love the MC quilt!

I am a bit of a sloth today. Not getting much done here. We are cooler, but still quite warm. We are covered in smoke from fires to the West of us. My mountains are almost not visible.

I will head down to the Batt Cave, as I will set up one of the last embroideries and post a ton of online charges and sort them out as if they have arrived.

Daniel fixed two areas in the garage. Both by the stairs. One shelf is up high and the other blocks off a space where kitty cat would hide. These both have Michael stuff on them. Daniel is about to build all the tables for the railroad to run on. Michael has lost a lot of stamina and that makes it hard to get the wood cut, and then built. Once the snow falls, Daniel won't be outside as much and will make good progress. Plus, he does things his Dad's way and when it comes to the railroad, Michael is picky,, just to be sure the trains run smoothly.

Dinner- it's been in the crockpot for almost 4 hours now, and still needs another 5 hours. I am trying a recipe for corned beef cooked in the crockpot. So far, so good! So that's dinner here tonight with fresh corn and mashed. Cabbage is NOT allowed!

Well, time to kick this sloth to the curb,

Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:06 pm

Thank for the tip Mary. I didn't know about boric acid. I just ordered some.

Tina, you are busy. That's a lot of chilies.

Jana, it's nice to have handy people to fix things.

Becca, I'm so ready for fall temps. Send some west.

Today I attended a funeral for my friends mother. She was also a friend of mine and a fellow quilter.
She did the most beautiful applique. I will miss quilting with her.

Yesterday I pulled out scrap bins. So I need to sort though them. It's amazing how they accumulate so quickly. I won't really get to that until Friday. Tomorrow I'm going with guild members to take our opportunity quilt to Surfside quilters guild in the morning, and then we're going to Tea afterwards.

Dinner will be chicken fajitas.

Have a lovely evening.
Lori 8-)

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:14 pm

Mary's Seahawks beat Frankie's Broncos by 1 point. Frankie isn't impressed with the Broncos new quarterback LOL guess that's why the Seahawks got rid of him huh.
Jana, we usually get from a local farmer but he died and the rest of the family closed the produce stand, I'm not even sure if they're farming anymore. We've bought from them for at least 34 years. So we tried Hatch chile a couple times and just didn't like it as much so we've been looking for another local farmer. We found one last week and oh my goodness that chile is so yummy! Well one of my Dad's friends are huge Hatch chile farmers and she gave Dad 3 huge burlap bags of fresh picked from the fields Hatch chile yesterday at church. Thankfully we have a little roaster that Frankie made years ago. So he just roasts about 40 chillies at a time so I can do small batches, it takes longer this way but we're getting them done, we finished the 2nd bag this evening. 1 more to go, I hope my back makes it through it. I told Holly and Kevin the price is they each have to vacuum, mop and dust my whole house for me. They agreed.
Lori, I'm sorry about your friend's mom and fellow quilter.
Well I cleaned the kitchen after that last batch of chilies and I've been relaxing.
I hope you all have a restful night.
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”