Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Sept 10

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Sept 10

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:26 am

Good morning,

We are 59* this morning and yesterday's north breezes have thankfully quieted. They were bringing smoke in from the many fires North and East of us. Not to mention the traffic noise from SR 16 which runs about 1/3 mile behind our house. We should be about 90* today, but back to 80* tomorrow. I got started on yard work yesterday until my back said it had had enough. Today, I hope to get a little more done, but early in the day while it's cool. I also spent an hour in my sewing room, working on "Harley". I'm getting there! It might be finished by end of business tomorrow. Maybe. I hope.

TINA - Which do you consider your local chilies - Hatch (60 miles from you) or county? Sorry about Holly's work dilemma. She doesn't want to hear about our Catholic grade school classes, though it might make her grateful that she has "only" 27 students. Maybe the school district can't afford more teachers so they piled on to the teachers they knew could handle it . . .

JANA - Two Costco visits in one day! Lucky you! We were at Costco yesterday, too. And I was drooling over all the Christmas stuff as well. But the only things I wanted were wrapping paper and cards. They had neither, but everything else was there. The way Costco has been going lately, I fear they won't have them this year. Ours has stopped carrying other things that I've been buying there for years. Maybe little Smokey needs her own basket in the Cave. I know Foxy loves his basket that I've set up high, out of the way. This has kept him from making himself comfy on my fabrics.

LORI - I hadn't known that your son's van was on the disabled list. Where is it that he had to fly to get it? Last we heard "from him" wasn't he was setting off on a trip north of you. Sounds like that didn't go well.

BECCA - I like to think that when we give a quilt, we are giving a bit of ourselves and THAT is the real gift and hopefully most people realize that.

Last night we ended up with pork fried rice and corn on the cob. It was pretty good. And enough left over for another meal. These kinds of dishes seem to take on a life of their own. Sort of a bread and fishes situation.

But no cooking here tonite! We're going to Il Lucano, the Italian restaurant downtown, about a mile away. Our friend, Tex, is going with us. His wife is off on a cruise. And I expect we'll be bringing leftovers home for yet another meal.

How's the supper scene looking at your house?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Sept 10

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:18 am

Good morning! I made it here early today!
I consider our local chile from our county; Luna County. It tastes better to me, maybe because I've had it for so many years 🤷‍♀️ but I have had poor quality Hatch chile more times than not, we have been getting some Hatch chile for the past 5 years I believe along with some local too. I'm a picky chile person 🤣😂🤣😂 oh and an FYI that may surprise you all, what is selling as Hatch chile in canning and across the country is more than 75% from our county and from Mexico. The chile farmers in Hatch have rented farms here and in Mexico and they haul it to Hatch to the chile building and dump it all together with theirs and call it all Hatch chile now. I don't think they should be allowed to do that.
Mary, back when you and I went to school it probably wouldn't have mattered if there were 75 students to 1 teacher, we behaved.... these kids today are like wild animals or more accurately future inmates..... some probably belong there now. You wouldn't believe some of the things that go on with some of these kids. Plus it's not fare to the kids that really want to learn when a teacher has to spend so much time with a few future convicts. Yep I said it, it's true 💔 k-3rd grader's already like that 💔. Our school district can afford to hire several more teachers, believe me. Our superintendent earns like she lives in a big city, most of the "administrative assistants" make more than Holly and she has a masters degree and they have no degree. Holly is probably one of their highest paid teachers because of her education and other educational workshops and dossiers she's done for raises, most don't bother to do what she's done, this is her 10th year teaching. It just really ticks me off so I better step down off my soapbox.
We're going to be twins for weather today but we may be a degree higher, I hope not.
I love Italian food, enjoy!
I think we give a piece of ourselves too Becca with each quilt ❤
Well since I have good chillies for chile rellenos I think I'll make those tonight and Spanish rice.
Tina

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:14 am

Hello everyone rainy here today
I had to run into town for CAs med Also went to Goodwill but I’m not Maryz They don’t even have fabric I was looking for bear fabric or a robe for a bear
I talked to Denise on phone & she had 6 or 8 bears I made she had saved in case she ever had a grand baby so I won’t do a bear
She also had about 6 dolls I made
But that still leaves a quilt I think I will do bears or lambs
I guess someone would appreciate a quilt
After one DGDIL called it a blanket & said she didn’t need one kind of did me in but this one loves quilts & handmade items So I know she will appreciate it

I did outside work yesterday too Got more weeds pulled & dead flower stalks cut down Timevto get ready for Fall & Winter
I cut all my dead black eyed Susan’s down

I made pinto beans cornbread & red bliss potatoes
Tina I’m sure not an expert on peppers because I don’t do hot items CA used to love them but can’t eat them anymore
I know they are healthy for you
Tina I know all about teachers & the mess they deal with. Denise is retired from there & her DD Courtney teaches Its a tough road to travel You do it for the love of your students & Hope somehow you can help their lives be better It’s rewarding when you see one grasp a new idea

Maryz I’m sure you will get the motorcycle quilt finished &be on the ones for Autumn
Lori I hope your son has a safe trip
Becca
The last 3 days the Doe & baby fawn has come to visit us The baby got about 3 ft from our window & fed there The Doe won’t come that close
Last edited by Becca on Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:09 pm

Good mid day!

I I sitting out in my garage, watching all the kids play. It's finally cool enough to play outside. I'm old fashioned and in this day and age, I don't let them play in the front yard unsupervised. Even living on a court.

Dinner, Humm, I have fresh corn and corned beef, so I think that will be a start.

The sink, dishwashers and garbage disposal are all back in service, thanks to Daniel. I have put everything in two baskets, nice and neatly back underneath. I needed to transfer my trash bags from the original box,, as it got wet and destroyed. A cardboard Costco milk carton box worked perfectly, with a slight trim on the top flaps and scotch tape.

Tina- Sandee is fussing too with her school. She has State money for her aides and other things, but the principal decides how and what it is spent on. So far, it's not Sandee's SPED students. Here we have state laws limiting class size and when the class meets that size, students are bused to another school nearby. Which is a royal pain! So I understand and feel for Holly.

Mary - quilt is going faster and log cabin blocks are quick too. Looking forward to your nutcracker quilt. I love nutcrackers!

Well, I've been gone for a bit, my termites were hungry, they are fed now.

Have a great rest of the day!
Hugs,
Jana

Return to “Chit Chat”