Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Aug 6th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Aug 6th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:51 am

Good morning,

We're going to about 85* today but this morning is nice and cool. After a long day in the yard yesterday I only have another hour or two of light work left and the yard work will be as finished as it gets around here. Yay! So I'll be going outside as soon as I finish this post. Bill is gone for the day, to rescue our friend, Tex, who broke down in Yakima while towing his 39 ft fifth-wheel. The pick-up will be towed home but Bill will bring the trailer home. Last night was a flurry of texts and eventually a long conference call with Bill, Tex, our DBIL, Al (in Colorado), and his best friend and diesel mechanic, Kenny. They decided it's probably the turbo (??) and could possibly ruin the engine, too, if Tex tried to drive it home - 160 miles over the mountains. Not worth the risk, so the truck will come home on the hook. 160 miles will be a long tow and a big bill. Insurance will only cover part of the trip.

So I'm on my own today, without supervision. After I finish in the yard, I will move into the house - maybe sew, maybe cross-stich, maybe dust downstairs. I'm waiting to surprise myself. I also need to get serious about meal planning for when the fam all arrives, and make some lists. We have a Boondocker arriving around noon, so it will be my job to get them settled and hooked up to power/water. Bill usually does this.

TINA - you are eating high off the garden! Home grown is always so much better. My parents always raised a big garden and also several acres of corn. We feasted every summer night. Maybe I would like cantaloupe better if it were from your garden. I love all melons but that one. I eat it, but I don't really like it too much.

LYN - welcome to Supper Club! We are thrilled to have you at the table! My sisters know that cafe you mentioned yesterday. It's not far from my younger sister's house. (they live 3 miles apart, one north of the RR tracks and one south of the RR tracks. They agree - good food. I've been thinking of making stroganoff when the weather cools down again. I usually make chicken stroganoff though. Neither one of us are big beef eaters. I've never had it any way but over noodles. Your crepes sound like a tasty alternative.

LORI - Your quilts will be nice thank you gifts for those who have helped out your parents over the years. I'm sure they will be most aprpeciative. I would love to go to our Farmers Market, too, but it's held down in a small park on the water where there is NO parking! Maybe room for about 12 cars on the narrow street, but there's no lot. I could walk - about a mile down to the Harbor, but it's also a mile back home, up the long steep hill carrying whatever I buy. That just doesn't appeal . . .

VELDA - the weather is really screwy this year. Of course, in later years we could say that about every year, I guess. I read you are working on your church rummage sale. I think that would be fun. I love church rummage sales. I think our church has given them up. Our church, St. NIcholas Catholic Church, is on the hill, on the way down to the Farmers Market. I love living in a small town for my whole life. :D

We need all new food for supper tonite. Not sure what that will be. Maybe something in the crockpot. Bill will be hot, tired, and hungry when he gets home. It's supposed to be 91* in Yakima today, though hopefully he will be on the way home long before it gets that hot. I think something in the crockpot - pork chops, maybe - will suit him well when he gets home.

What sounds tasty to you tonite?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, Aug 6th

Post by auntjana » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:21 am

Good morning!

I will be off to the kitchen shortly, chopping, baking and getting food ready for tonight. We are having a taco bar. I cheated and bought pre-formed taco shells and tostada shells too. Heat 8n the oven for a couple of minutes and we're good to go. I am making a orange Texas sheet cake for the BD cake. Michael likes orange cakes, so I am inventing this one. Have a recipe for the cake, then I will cut cake circles, put my yummy filling between two circles and top with a white chocolate ganache as a glaze. I do this same thing with a chocolate cake, so I am hoping this works. Should, judging by my book. My filling is like twinkie filling, only waaay better. The kids all love my chocolate ones, so we shall see how this goes.

Dinner is a bit earlier than usual as the kids are all running off in different directions later in the evening. Matt and family have concert tickets at a county fair south of us, about a hour or so to see a country western singer that the boys like. Aaron plays games with his BIL's and this is the night. Getting everyone with nothing planned is hard. But we did it, for a short time. Daniel willbe fixing the Teapot, his Jeep. That's the jeeps name. It keeps overheating intermittently, so the search is on as to why. Fitting name, teapot, right now I'd say.

Mary - we've had conference calls like that, with Matt's truck Enoch. Our diesel mechanic is Matt's BFF, but he lives in England right now. Matt has had the turbo go out on Enoch before too. Aaron towed the whole rig- trailer and truck, off the mountain when Matt blew up the engine. Aaron was working IMT then, and still teases big brother that little brother rescued him. Won't be long before your family is there and it will be a great family reunion!

Well, time to get cooking,

Hugs,
Jana

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:52 am

Good Morning,

Today is the baby shower. It has been a busy week for me. So glad I wasn't in charge of the Board meeting on Tuesday evening. I just had to give a report. Then on Wednesday a guided bus trip downtown with Joe V. from Dancing with the Stars fame. He kept us entertained the whole time. On the way home he gave away notions from his booth. I got a small travel iron and rest pad. Thursday, I took a class on Wildflower Collage. She showed us how she had made the background fabric using watercolor chalk. I have homework before I can show anyone my progress. Yesterday I had two-hour white glove shift to do. Afterwards I looked at the rest of the quilts and sat down at an area Jenny Lyons was teaching about quilting and listened. I left about 2:00 PM and came home. I then did three loads of laundry, cleaned the bathroom and made dinner. DH had changed the bed.

The baby shower is a luncheon at an Italian restaurant. I am not sure how hungry I will be, but we have frozen roasted chicken breast and mashed potatoes. I can make a salad too. We certainly will not be hungry.

Maryz - Glad Tex had someone to call and help him. Bill will have quite an adventure today. Meanwhile, congratulations on finishing the yard work.

Jana - Happy Birthday to Michael. He is another one that comes to the rescue. Your sons learned from their father by example to help one another.

Tina - How well your garden is growing. Your dinner sounded so good.

Lori - I like going to the Farmer's market. I go to a large one that is several miles away and very crowded. There is ample parking, however the walk from car to booths is long so I take a cart for my purchases. I must go early on either Tuesday or Saturday and am not going this morning. Hopefully, next Tuesday.

Carol

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:22 am

Carol, sounds like you had a good time at the show. I would love to see what you made.

Jana, isn't it wonderful to have all your kids around you? I just love having Jonathan here. It's been wonderful having him join us on our regular outings.

Mary, oh no...no supervision the entire day. What trouble can you get into. lol You should get a cart for you stuff from the market. Then you could get your walk in and fresh veggies and fruits. Or you could bring Bill and have him carry the stuff. That's what guys do.

I'm off to the Long Beach International quilt show today. I'll be looking, shopping and doing a little white glove service. I plan to spend the entire day there. Jack's not happy that I'm leaving before his walk, but Bill will take him and Wrigley today. I give him a little walk this evening.

I think dinner will be leftovers. I'll be tired when I get home.

Have a wonderful day.
Lori 8-)

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:50 am

Hi everyone! Sorry about the emery rescue. It's good to help a friend.
Crockpot dinner will make it easy for you, that's for sure.
You will be busy with setting up your boondockers and all.
We are doing Swai (forbidden food) for dinner. Sorry Mary, but DH loves it deep fried. I am fixing coleslaw for me and potato chips. I intended to bake angel food this morning, but forgot. Now I don't want to run oven this time of the day. Too hot here and humid. I will clean and add sugar to my strawberries and serve them over ice cream instead.
Jana your supper sounds awesome! The orange cake, too. WOW, wish I could eat a piece! Yum!

Carol, what an awesome bus your that must have been. Hope the baby shower is fun!

Lori, enjoy the quilt show and shopping. Fun!!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:03 pm

Hey, it's just barely 4 pm , my time and everything is done and we eat at 5:30 tonight. So this is not my usual way, I am sitting in my recliner watching trains with Michael. Even the table is ready - Karlie did that. My girls will do the clean up, even though I have all the cooking dishes already clean..

Oh,, the orange Rexas sheet cake is absolutely yummy! It is a keeper and very easy to make.

Return to “Chit Chat”