Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Aug 2nd

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Aug 2nd

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 am

Good morning!

Much cooler today! We should go to only 78*. With a cloudy, even misty, morning. :D We might even get some rain by Thursday. Then back up to mid-80's but we're done with 90's!

Yesterday was BUSY and productive. No sewing, but I did get 4 loads of wash done, and we both turned to and did some deep cleaning in living/dining/hall/entry. We'll do more of that on our lower level today and if that goes quickly, maybe a little yard work. But probably not. :lol: I have to save something for Wed & Thurs. Also, the County Code Enforcement guy is coming today to inspect Vicki's property to see what she/family has done to clean up the garbage, appliances, old cars. Which is nothing. He SAYS county will go to court for an order to allow the county to hire professional cleaner-uppers. We'll see if that really happens. I've lost faith in all government and social entities. There are some wide cracks in our system and Vicki has fallen firmly through those cracks.

VELDA - since you asked - I don't usually use a recipe for crockpot cooking. I just dump stuff in. But I always brown any kind of meat before putting it in the crockpot to seal juices in. So I S&P's the chicken breasts, browned them (they were big so I cut them in half) and put them in the crockpot with a diced onion, big chunked potatoes, carrots, diced onion, garlic. I tossed in a can of mushrooms. Then I whisked up a can of cream of chix soup with some water, a few red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, thyme, and rosemary. I poured that over the everything and cooked it all on low. It smelled so good! And it was done by 2:30pm so that's when we ate and then just had salads later at regular supper time. I would have added a splash of chardonnay instead of water, but we had none open so I didn't.

TINA - be careful with that heat. Headache is one of the signs of heat stroke. Our sprinklers have been working overtime in our heat, too. I think we have 6 and they all go off at different times between 2am and 7am.

JANA - you are right - as the cook, we hold all the supper power! I think if I wanted, Bill might cook more. He said in his past life/wife he did all the cooking. But after sampling his cooking, I was sweet enough to relieve him of that responsibility! :lol: And he relived me of the checkbook balancing duties! Win/win! A grandfather clock will look really nice in your house! Happy Anniversary! Glad you found everything on your list yesterday. We're finding less and less these days and yesterday in Rite Aid they had completely empty aisles! I know a lot of seasonal things are being swapped out but that place almost echoed!

CArol - I get e-mails about the Long BEach Quilt show and I "took the tour" seeing some of the quilts being shown. You and Lori are in for a treat! But then, I guess you know that.

Tonite's supper is the rest of our crockpot chicken. It really was very good. Almost like a pot roast only with chicken. We will eat up the last of our salad fixings. Now it's time to start figuring out tomorrow's supper . . . .

What are you figuring out for YOUR supper?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Aug 2nd

Post by auntjana » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:27 am

Good morning!

Mary - code enforcement wheels runs slow! Aaron goes out, checks violations, then writes reports, then turns those over to the city attorney, who then reads the reports, and then decides if they take it to a judge, who then reads all the reports and then issues the court order. Upon which it all comes back to Aaron and the company that is hired. Aaron says 6 months is fast. Aaron is dealing with a lady, whose back yard fence, over looks a neighbor's business. He repairs small engines, like lawnmowers, etc. He has been doing this for many years, long before the lady's house was even built. She's complaining about nitpicking little things. She's giving Aaron grief that he hasn't got the business shut down. None of which are code violations. Aaron does a quite good job at balancing neighbors. Many moving into my area don't want the rural lifestyle, no horses, no chickens, not anything. They don't look or pay attention to the zoning for this area, which is agricultural. I can have a horse, if I wanted one. My choice is a Clydesdale! All horse, no yard! LOL! Sarah has people complaining about her chickens, and she doesn't have a rooster, just hens. Vicki falls into a completely different category, so I hope code runs faster there!

Off to go and see the clock after breakfast. Then down to sew and unrolled the new rug.

Dinner- either broccoli cheese soup or banned noodle cassarole. I did make some yummy, scrumptious cinnamon sticky buns last night. That's my breakfast today!

Time to scoot,
Hugs,
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:32 am

Thanks for the tips, Mary. I always brown my meats too. I want them to have that carmelized look before adding to the pot. I was interested in what you used for liquid. I have used gravy mixes before. Sometimes, dry onion soup with a little water, just depends on what I have on hand.
I tried a home delivery (Schwan's) for frozen foods. Used to get only ice cream years ago, years and years ago! Anyway, I ordered ice cream and a few meats and other items. It was delivered yesterday, so tonight I am going to try the burgers. We don't cook beef very much, but I still like beef better for a burger rather than ground turkey or other grounded meats.
We are having lots of rain today. Central Illinois is under flood warnings for several counties until 6 pm. We got 3.7 inches this morning. Still raining, but it has tapered off a lot now.
My hummingbirds have been feeding like mad! They act like it migration time. That doesn't get started here until September. It's fun to watch them though.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:55 pm

Well, home from the clock trip. They didn't have the one I originally thought of, but one just as nice, in fact, it's more in line to what I like. So it will be coming to live here a week from Friday. It is a more expensive clock, but was on sale for the same price as my original choice. Nearly the same size too. Michael had the tape measure handy to make sure.

While we were there, I found a miniature cello for Ethan. It even came with a hard side leather carrying case. It will be either for his BD or part of Christmas. This clock shop carries the really good German Nutcrackers. But boy are they expensive! I could get in so much trouble in that shop!

They also have our Ships Bells clock. It needed to be repaired. I bought it for Michael about 25 years ago, used, so they consider it a antique. It will take about a year to repair. Yes, a year! They may have to custom make clock parts for it. The clock maker is very meticulous in his work. Better there being fixed than broken on my shelf. We are waiting on the estimate from the shop. Should be back in time for our 48th anniversary! LOL!

There is no shortage of clocks in this house somewhere around 15! I do like to be on time!

Jana

Return to “Chit Chat”